Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 135i convertible
Great to see that there is again traction on what was a fiasco. With it painfully obvious that many cars are designed such that there is poor visibility (18,000 injuries/year from people getting run over with peoople going in reverse without good viewing ability), the US gov is once again renewing actions for mandatory implemetation of rear view cameras.

LOL....maybe part of the reason is an administration lawsuit (a decision was made to have rear cameras in cars back in 2008)....car manufacturers should be sued as well....not only for lack of proper safety measures based on design, but for adding crap to cars that increase general public risk (for example, ability to read/listen to emails while driving...or horrific blindspots). Of course the car manufacturers will fight such measures...they want to give you any/all bells and whistles that help them make money.....do they have concerns about effects on safety? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Geekapoo

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/25/bu...-vehicles.html

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ation/2870819/

2013 BMW 135i convertible (Space Gray/black)
2010 VW GTI (wife's)

Past cars:
2009 Audi TT roadster
2008 Porsche Boxster S
Lexus IS250 (wife's)
2004 Audi TT roadster
2001 Mercedes Benz SLK 320
2001 Audi TT roadster
2001 Audi A4
Old 10-01-2013, 09:32 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2010 MB SLK & BMW 135i
The name Geekapoo says it all. A whiny irritating twit who is never happy with anything. Of course, it is always after the fact, since he doesn't consider his purchases.

I was thinking about the cabriolet, but after driving it and evaluating the rear visibility, I decided no. It is a real flaw, and I don't see why BMW doesn't correct it. Maybe the next cars will? Also the RFTs are terrible, but this problem can be corrected.

Except for my MB 350 SLK, I have never purchased a perfect car. Some cars have more issues than others, but the German cars at least, are always more satisfying to drive. For those of you who can never find any happiness in your purchases, may you be condemned to drive a Camry forever in Hell!

Haw haw haw!
Old 10-01-2013, 01:37 PM
My avatar is a selfie LOL

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
BMW on the cheap....shame on you BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestCS View Post
The name Geekapoo says it all. A whiny irritating twit who is never happy with anything. Of course, it is always after the fact, since he doesn't consider his purchases.

I was thinking about the cabriolet, but after driving it and evaluating the rear visibility, I decided no. It is a real flaw, and I don't see why BMW doesn't correct it. Maybe the next cars will? Also the RFTs are terrible, but this problem can be corrected.

Except for my MB 350 SLK, I have never purchased a perfect car. Some cars have more issues than others, but the German cars at least, are always more satisfying to drive. For those of you who can never find any happiness in your purchases, may you be condemned to drive a Camry forever in Hell!

Haw haw haw!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1380656157.940177.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	399845

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 10-02-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:

Haw haw haw!
Wow....how old are you??? Hopefully quite young given your level of maturity (it would give you an excuse..).

FYI:

After blind-spot deaths, groups sue to require rear-view cameras in new cars:

http://www.today.com/news/after-blin...ras-4B11249314

Geekapoo

2010 VW GTI (wife's)

Past cars:
2009 Audi TT roadster
2008 Porsche Boxster S
Lexus IS250 (wife's)
2004 Audi TT roadster
2001 Audi TT roadster
2001 Audi A4

Last edited by Geekapoo; 10-03-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 335i M-Sport
At a minimum, ALL new cars should have some rear sensing system to avoid running over people if only an audible beep and visual LED. The technology is soooo cheap that there is no reasonable basis for not having it since it is a certainty that at least one life will be saved by it. Manufacturers who choose a shiny hubcap or digital clock over a $20 safety system like this should be sued. Money is the only language they speak. Why do you think you now have to pull up on your window switch to close the window?

Last edited by surfcity335i; 10-16-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:39 PM
My avatar is a selfie LOL

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfcity335i View Post
At a minimum, ALL new cars should have some rear sensing system to avoid running over people if only an audible beep and visual LED. The technology is soooo cheap that there is no reasonable basis for not having it since it is a certainty that at least one life will be saved by it. Manufacturers who choose a shiny hubcap or digital clock over a $20 safety system like this should be sued. Money is the only language they speak. Why do you think you now have to pull up on your window switch to close the window?
Backup cameras are mandatory on all 2014 model years and up according to current US laws. I'm sure parking sensors will follow.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepittrill View Post
Backup cameras are mandatory on all 2014 model years and up according to current US laws. I'm sure parking sensors will follow.

Sad but true, the reason for the lawsuits is because the backup cameras are NOT mandatory. Yes, the cheap and stupid scumbags who design cars with shiny bits-o-nothing feel its that type of crap that sells cars and not the inexpensive safety features...they could give a rat's arse about your child or a neighbor's child getting run over due to poor rear visibility.

In addition to rear view cameras (because how some cars are now designed is borderline criminal), side sensors should be mandatory as well. Was shopping for cars with my wife last month (need an SUV with AWD) and could not help but LOL at the poor rear and side visibility of the Nissan vehicles we looked at (Juke and Rouge). Though both could be bought with rear view camera, the side view was ridiculous. Test drove the Ford Esacape and Mazda CX-5....very interesting side sensors. Gotta love the new technology, which will definitely save lives and lower injuries......but too many car manufacturers are too frickin cheap to put out the small amount of cash for safety vs giving you the latest and greatest shiny hubcaps. Have absolutely no doubt that Nissan will add the safety features.....two different dealerships told me stories about the number of potential buyers who steered clear of cars due to poor visibility.......a design manufacturers felt would appeal (look good) even though more dangerous (not that the car manufacturers gave a crap)....ca-ching....it's ALL about $$$$$$$$.

Cheers from Krakow (very nice city!)

Geekqpoo

2010 VW GTI (wife's)

Past cars:
2009 Audi TT roadster
2008 Porsche Boxster S
Lexus IS250 (wife's)
2004 Audi TT roadster
2001 Audi TT roadster
2001 Audi A4
Old 10-17-2013, 03:46 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 323IS

If you can't see behind you Get Out And Look. I have a real hard time understanding why you post all the blame on the auto companies and hold yourself free of any personal accountability. If some crazy person starts shooting down planes do we sue the plane manufactures and government for not have bullet proof planes with missile avoidance systems? NO, we stop the person shooting down the planes. Safety starts with you, the auto companies can put all the safety equipment in a car they want but that doesn't cure ignorance. I have been a professional truck driver for 12 years hauling oversize loads up to 18 feet wide turning over 100,000 miles a year and I can say from personal experience that there are a lot of ignorant and irresponsible people on the road these days. Kind of off your original topic but it burns my a$$ when people want to point fingers and sue somebody else because they were in too much of a hurry to be safe and responsible. Just my $.02

Old 10-17-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAER View Post
If you can't see behind you Get Out And Look. I have a real hard time understanding why you post all the blame on the auto companies and hold yourself free of any personal accountability. If some crazy person starts shooting down planes do we sue the plane manufactures and government for not have bullet proof planes with missile avoidance systems? NO, we stop the person shooting down the planes. Safety starts with you, the auto companies can put all the safety equipment in a car they want but that doesn't cure ignorance. I have been a professional truck driver for 12 years hauling oversize loads up to 18 feet wide turning over 100,000 miles a year and I can say from personal experience that there are a lot of ignorant and irresponsible people on the road these days. Kind of off your original topic but it burns my a$$ when people want to point fingers and sue somebody else because they were in too much of a hurry to be safe and responsible. Just my $.02

Wow...that is the strangest deep thoughts post I have read! An analogy of shooting down planes and sue because the plane is not bulletproof? Thanks for the laugh!!!!!! Yes, your 2 cents!

What you can/cannot do is not relevant with all of your professional driving experience. Think in generalities, not all about you.

The sad news is that too many car companies have safety features tied to "extra" packages like a tech or nav option...a couple of grand in their pocket vs doing what's right for the public.

Geekapoo

2010 VW GTI (wife's)

Past cars:
2009 Audi TT roadster
2008 Porsche Boxster S
Lexus IS250 (wife's)
2004 Audi TT roadster
2001 Audi TT roadster
2001 Audi A4
Old 10-17-2013, 07:28 AM

Mein Auto: e36 m3, X5, 74 2002
I bought my last new bmw, no more for me until they fix the mandatory things like leather (no thanks!) sunroofs (no thanks!) runflats (no thanks!) no LSD (no thanks!) and the "free" maintanence (no thanks!)
Old 10-17-2013, 11:55 AM
Banned

Talking I can see great out of my 135i coupe!

Geekapuke just keeps up his whining about nothing.

As the government keeps forcing the auto makers to add more and more so-called safety features on cars, you see the price of your BMW continue to climb.

Of course, no one is against safety, but do these items like back up cameras and whatever really increase safety to any measurable degree? I doubt it.

I can't help but notice the traffic accidents that are reported on TV every night, and the word alcohol is often mentioned as the cause. What else would explain head on collisions and driving into trees or buildings? Also I notice most of these accidents occur at night, so I don't suppose texting would be the reason.

I remember a recent report that said that between the hours of midnight and 5 AM, one out four drivers is drunk. Around my area the police have random OVI check points which help. However, we have a problem with problem drivers with suspended licenses who still drive drunk.

In serious crashes at high speeds survival is problematic or doubtful. At lower speeds, air bags and seat belts might save your hide. The rest of safety devices will just prevent fender benders or for people like Geekapuke from backing up into something.

Anyway his premise is certainly wrong. There is nothing cheap about BMW's quality. It is a well screwed together car. In fact, comparing it to the price of German competitors and even American and Japanese brands, it's an absolute bargain. :thumbup
Old 10-17-2013, 11:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblahh View Post
I bought my last new bmw, no more for me until they fix the mandatory things like leather (no thanks!) sunroofs (no thanks!) runflats (no thanks!) no LSD (no thanks!) and the "free" maintanence (no thanks!)
BMW won't miss your business!
Old 10-18-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Geekapuke just keeps up his whining about nothing.

As the government keeps forcing the auto makers to add more and more so-called safety features on cars, you see the price of your BMW continue to climb.

Of course, no one is against safety, but do these items like back up cameras and whatever really increase safety to any measurable degree? I doubt it.
. :thumbup
If you actually took the time to look at the links that discuss the lawsuits aimed at forcing the issue of mandatory rear view systems, you will learn how bad the problem has been. YOU send your stupid comment to the father who inadvertently ran over (and killed) his child because he could not see behind his vehicle. Search the web and you will find examples of people who have run over children because of poorly designed rear visibility...it is clearly documented as an issue...and please do not tell me that if it were to happen to one of your loved ones, it would not count to any "measurable degree"..

Oh and the "geekapuke" reference....how childish, but then again you've shown a few times how immature you are. You act like you've got no hair on your nuggies.... but now I wonder if they have even dropped.

Geekapoo

2010 VW GTI (wife's)

Past cars:
2009 Audi TT roadster
2008 Porsche Boxster S
Lexus IS250 (wife's)
2004 Audi TT roadster
2001 Audi TT roadster
2001 Audi A4

Last edited by Geekapoo; 10-18-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:15 PM

Mein Auto: bmw x5 2014
Distracted driving myth

"We need the best in technology to keep ourselves and others safe....includes eliminating electronic distracting junk in cars, regulating visibility requirements in cars, bans on texting while driving, etc. We've gone forward with having seatbelts be a requirement and installation of airbags. Unfortunately, the industry is going backwards in other ways that can affect health and lead to loss of life or wealth (if doing the wrong thing at the wrong time in a car and get sued)."

This is bs.. Ok, so i'm an ex car racer, very aware of what is distracted driving and I find it ironic that the web browser is disabled but you can still drive the car without the seatbelt, while holding your coffee and light a cigarette. My view is that the cars functions should work at speed for the passengers comfort (the person who is sitting right next to me). It seems that we've demonized one thing while completely ignoring everything else. I was hit one time by a lady putting her makup on. The definition of a distracted driver is really a driver that is bored enough with driving that they'll do just about anything else while driving. This is the same kind of driver that if not pre-occupied with texting or web browsing will be eating a big mac while tuning the radio. That is why i think it doesn't matter. You can't control these people, so why try. But if we're going to do it we should take away the cup holders, cigarette lighters, phones, notepads and pens too. LoL
Old 04-01-2014, 02:20 PM

Good to see that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is requiring automobile makers to have rear view cameras installed starting in 2018

http://money.cnn.com/2014/03/31/auto...acing-cameras/

I fully expect the NHTSA to be requiring side radar proximity sensors (becuase of the ever increasing frequency of poorly designed vehicles with blind spots) within a few years.

NEXT: cell phone ban in cars (25% of all accidents due to cellphones, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-texting.html)

My strong bet is that BMW will be very slow to adopt anything...will get "smoked" by the competition, including MB and Audi

Richard

2010 VW GTI (wife's)

Past cars:
2009 Audi TT roadster
2008 Porsche Boxster S
Lexus IS250 (wife's)
2004 Audi TT roadster
2001 Audi TT roadster
2001 Audi A4
Old 04-01-2014, 05:15 PM

Mein Auto: Audi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekapoo View Post
Good to see that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is requiring automobile makers to have rear view cameras installed starting in 2018

http://money.cnn.com/2014/03/31/auto...acing-cameras/

I fully expect the NHTSA to be requiring side radar proximity sensors (becuase of the ever increasing frequency of poorly designed vehicles with blind spots) within a few years.

NEXT: cell phone ban in cars (25% of all accidents due to cellphones, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-texting.html)

My strong bet is that BMW will be very slow to adopt anything...will get "smoked" by the competition, including MB and Audi

Richard
I think they just realized that there's really bad drivers... some people are so bad at backing up the car...
Old 04-01-2014, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 135i E82 MSport
Pretty soon there will be nannies to do everything, including drive the darn car. For many ppl I see, that may be a good thing. For me, I'll hate it. Fortunately, I am older, and may not have to endure this self-driving car crap very long.
Gone: 2011 X35i, Vermillion Red, MSport.
Gone: 2007 328xiTouring, Barbera Red, Lemon, 6MT.
Gone: 2009 M3 Sedan, Alpine White, Black Novillo, M-DCT.
Gone: 2008 535xi, Alpine White, Black Dakota, MSport.
Long Gone: 11 other BMWs between 1971 and 1986.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:43 AM

Mein Auto: can you guess?
BMW is just another car company. It's products are sporty but nothing magic. The manufacturing costs of BMWs is roughly the same as a Chevy.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerhurtalot View Post
I think they just realized that there's really bad drivers... some people are so bad at backing up the car...
Yea, right. Good driving is not going to help when you cannot see the person.

In the U.S. at least fifty children are being backed over by vehicles EVERY week. Forty-eight (48) are treated in hospital emergency rooms and at least two (2) children are fatally injured every WEEK.

For more info, see:http://www.kidsandcars.org/back-overs.html

The situation is VERY obvious. Car companies care about profits, not safety...and for the most part could give a damn about safety unless it impacts their bottom line. Look at GM's risk assessment about a 57 cent switch..

Richard

2010 VW GTI (wife's)

Past cars:
2009 Audi TT roadster
2008 Porsche Boxster S
Lexus IS250 (wife's)
2004 Audi TT roadster
2001 Audi TT roadster
2001 Audi A4
Old 04-16-2014, 12:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 135i
I really don see complaining about the 12GB internal storage as a big issue. I have an IPOD and I have less then half of it filled and I am not with out music
Old 05-14-2014, 09:10 AM
Banned

Unhappy Poor Fellow!

The true reason for Geek-a-puke's discontent stems from his childhood. He was probably bullied as a child, and thus resides the seeds of his unhappiness.

These kinds of people find fault with everything in their world. Their only defense against their perceived monsters is constant criticism.

You want to be safe on the road? Keep your eyes open, both hands on the wheel, don't employ any distracting devices like cell phones, obey the speed limits, and have a good breakfast!

Yuk yuk!
Old 05-14-2014, 09:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedes Benz View Post
BMW is just another car company. It's products are sporty but nothing magic. The manufacturing costs of BMWs is roughly the same as a Chevy.
You have to be very naive about manufacturing costs in Germany. They have the world's highest labor rates in addition to the costs of all their social benefits.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAER View Post

Are personal accountability and corporate accountability mutually exclusive or can they peacefully coexist? Nothing wrong with a conscientious manufacturer picking up where the reasonably careful human being leaves off, right?

Yes, there are ignorant people on the road. Yes, distracted drivers exist and cannot be eliminated. There are parents who leave their driveways in a huff because of whatever is going on in their lives. If a $25 technology will make society safer in those situations is it proper to tell those human beings to be more careful INSTEAD OF implementing that $25 technology? Some of you seem to be answering this question in the affirmative.

My opinion? Given the relative cost of backup camera technology today (CHEAP!!!), NO NEW CAR should be produced without one.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:19 AM
Banned

We hardly live in a sane, secure, or safe world. Read the papers and listen to the news. People die everyday due to someone's ineptness or simply refusing to care.

If you want to survive and that includes anything or anyone you care about, you had better pay attention to what you do or where you go. Depending on BMW, Obama, or God to take care of you is the province of fools. The intelligent person looks after his own needs and safety.

A simple example suffices. When you backup, do you just jump in the car, start the engine, and punch the gas? If you do, you are a fool. You should first look around and survey the scene both outside and inside the car. I suppose with a backup camera installed removes all responsibility for being careful? That's probably how Geek-a-puke will view it. If he has a problem, he'll find another reason to attack BMW.

There is a enormous amount of research done and money spent by manufacturers when they develop new products for their vehicles. I can recall many ideas that were discarded due to being ineffective. If you stop to think about it, a backup camera isn't as simple as you might think. Think about the electronics involved, or the camera has to be durable and waterproof. Also it has to do the job effectively or it will be blamed for any bad incident that occurs.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:18 AM
energetik9

Mein Auto: 911 Carrera 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekapoo View Post
I've had my 135i convertible for 3 weeks. Love the car but do have gripes with BMW about the following, which I assume could easily be fixed by BMW if they gave a damn..

1) A ~$50k convertible sportscar without a wind deflector. Wind deflectors came with my 3 TT roadsters, my MB SLK and my Boxster. BMW...what a cheap thing to do. Pretty pathetic IMHO.

2) Speaking of pathetic, 12G of internal memory for the tech system? Cripes, you can buy a 64G USB drive for $30! Pathetic.

3) Finally, a rather serious gripe. The 128 and 135 converts definitely have a pretty bad blind spot for rear viewing. Other companies address this issue with a rear mounted camera. In the case of the Nissan Rouge (where rear view is also seriously compromised, the rear view is shown in a small window set in the rear view mirror. IMHO, to the uninitiated, the 128 and 135 are dangerous drives for those not familiar with this issue.

As I said, overall I really like the car....but cannot say that BMW as a company impresses me with any effort to go above and beyond what they absolutely have to do...which is something I've respected with other companies (the Rouge being one example, wind deflectors that cost very little and should be standard another).

Shame on you BMW..
I know you're not going to like my answer, but these are very minor points. My wife has a 128 cov. I just simply bought the wind deflector. Never even registered as an issue.

Never thougth twice about the storage. We just use an iPod.

As far as the blind spot, it's a similar issue faced by convertibles in general. Just look, adjust mirrors, or put the top down. Not sure I'd classify it as "dangerous".
Previous - X5 3.0i with prem/sport
Previous - 2000 ///M roadster
----------------------------
Someone should invent a sarcasm font...

"In car rock, paper, scissors 911 beats Prius everytime."

Last edited by energetik9; 05-30-2014 at 11:20 AM.