Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:54 AM
Nothing quite like a 6

Mein Auto: 09' 650i Cabrio
Dealer fraud? Where is the trust? How do I check all my fluids as if its new or not?

I took my car to Santa Monica only couple of time for oil change and brake pads. Today, I met a friend and he told me about his experience at the dealer. He dropped his car for an oil change. When he got home, he checked the oil was black bad as the dealer only reset the computer.

I was wondering a year ago when my car was at 50k miles, i've done several fluids replaced include transmission, radiator, power steering and differential at South Bay BMW.If they cheated I really wanna do something about it. At least I can replaced them all again at a trusted indy or sue them.

BMW CCA ID: 473647
Advertisement
Old 02-13-2013, 04:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 650i
I just posted about a dealer (before I bought the car) resetting the brake fluid interval when it was clearly not done. Mechanics are paid based on the "hours required" to do a job. So if they can fit 16 hours worth of work into an 8 hour day, they get extra money. So if the book gives you 2 hours for a brake bleeding job and you just reset the counter, you're ahead by 1 hour and 55 minutes. And since you can't see the fluid (or oil in your case) without some serious effort, who will ever know? Crappy but true.
HUD, Comfort Access

Old 02-13-2013, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
You need to start doing this yourself or go to an independent. If you're not going to do it yourself smear a sample of old fluid vs. new fluid on a paper towel when possible.

If you truly suspect the fluids were not changed have them inspected at an independent. You probably won't be able to get anything from dealer but at least the car will have fresh fluids.

Wasn't it your car that got 2k worth of cooling system hoses some time ago. Can't remember for sure it was someone in around LA and that was a total BS repair. Sounds like the dealers in your area are worse than Bay Area. Luckily, we have some great indies around here.

Last edited by FredoinSF; 02-13-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:22 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
I cannot imagine a dealer skipping the oil to cut corners, I could see them maybe not changing the filter. If you want to find out for sure if the oil was changed get a oil analysis kit from a local oil testing firm and send off a sample (about $20). The analysis will show how old the oil is. Every major city will have at least one company doing oil analysis - trucking fleets use them.

If the old oil was very dirty, the new oil will also turn black after running the engine for a few minutes. I've seen this happen myself when I've changed oil on poorly maintained cars (not mine!) You need to change oil every 3K miles if you want new oil to stay yellow for more than a few minutes.

Speaking of dealers cutting corners, here is a shot of the brake fluid I extracted from my car during my first brake pad change. It was dealer-only maintained by one of the more respected local dealers. The dealer definitely never changed the fluid, it should be light yellow like a Corona beer and it stays that way for years.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Last edited by Yorgi; 02-13-2013 at 05:27 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-13-2013, 08:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
If you own a BMW & don't care about maintenance, trade it before the warranty expires. If you plan on keeping your BMW, make sue it is maintained properly. You can do that by doing your own work, or hold your dealer or INDY accountable. BMW's 15k mile oil change, only benefits them! If a dealer thinks that you don't know what is right or wrong, they will bend you over happily!

In Ga. & the Carolina's, only Atlanta & Charlotte NC have oil analysis labs. Atlanta has 3 that I know of, & Charlotte has 1 I believe? As far as the quality of their results, most of them run automotive samples. This means that they run over a 1000 a day. I have seen many errors in sample results. Not having the correct info entered into the computer, can cause much confusion! I personally reviewed. pulled, & inspected over a 1000 samples a year, before retiring. You will usually spot a problem, before the sample is sent in for results!

Hold your mechanic accountable!
Old 02-14-2013, 11:33 AM
Living in Fast Forward

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by reytran View Post
I took my car to Santa Monica only couple of time for oil change and brake pads. Today, I met a friend and he told me about his experience at the dealer. He dropped his car for an oil change. When he got home, he checked the oil was black bad as the dealer only reset the computer.

I was wondering a year ago when my car was at 50k miles, i've done several fluids replaced include transmission, radiator, power steering and differential at South Bay BMW.If they cheated I really wanna do something about it. At least I can replaced them all again at a trusted indy or sue them.
I had the same skeptical feeling when I had my PPI done at Bob Smith BMW. The guy who worked on my car said that he changed the oil, but 1 week later, I had to add a quart of oil as the warning light came on.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:35 PM
Nothing quite like a 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
You need to start doing this yourself or go to an independent. If you're not going to do it yourself smear a sample of old fluid vs. new fluid on a paper towel when possible.

If you truly suspect the fluids were not changed have them inspected at an independent. You probably won't be able to get anything from dealer but at least the car will have fresh fluids.

Wasn't it your car that got 2k worth of cooling system hoses some time ago. Can't remember for sure it was someone in around LA and that was a total BS repair. Sounds like the dealers in your area are worse than Bay Area. Luckily, we have some great indies around here.
Well, sadly that was me. After that BS, I almost do everything myself up to today. There also a time when I got battery dead and they replace for $900+. I find out they quote a 3 series guy for $700+. I guess 6 series use more expensive battery then. With the money I spent I think I should just end up with buying a brand new for extra $20k for worry free. Because it was my first BMW so I didn't wanna buy it brand new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulchman View Post
I just posted about a dealer (before I bought the car) resetting the brake fluid interval when it was clearly not done. Mechanics are paid based on the "hours required" to do a job. So if they can fit 16 hours worth of work into an 8 hour day, they get extra money. So if the book gives you 2 hours for a brake bleeding job and you just reset the counter, you're ahead by 1 hour and 55 minutes. And since you can't see the fluid (or oil in your case) without some serious effort, who will ever know? Crappy but true.
Seem like my first BMW teach the painful lesson. I wish I loved my car less when I just got it. Your front looks great. I want that so bad now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 E63650i View Post
I had the same skeptical feeling when I had my PPI done at Bob Smith BMW. The guy who worked on my car said that he changed the oil, but 1 week later, I had to add a quart of oil as the warning light came on.
So far, I believe the Crevier BMW in Santa Ana has the highest review and reputation for their service department. At least I don't have to pay for a quart oil there. Ridiculously, the SA at South Bay BMW (where I threw thousands cash) even ask me to pay for a quart oil to top up.

Last edited by reytran; 02-14-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
So far, I believe the Crevier BMW in Santa Ana has the highest review and reputation for their service department. At least I don't have to pay for a quart oil there. Ridiculously, the SA at South Bay BMW (where I threw thousands cash) even ask me to pay for a quart oil to top up.
I did not buy my car from there, but it was purchased and maintained there with the first owner for the first 30k miles. My car was in excellent shape when I bought it with 36k miles so I think they may be reliable dealer.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 02-14-2013, 11:01 PM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
Sorry if this sounds blunt, but after the hose thread you should know there are better options than the dealer once the car is out of warranty. I wouldn't blame the car for the money you've spent it. Sounds like 80 percent of the thousands you have spent was dealer making stuff up and / or padding the bill and at some point you take ownership for going back for more.
Again, time for a reputable independent. There should be a ton of them where you live. Look them up on bimrs.org or your local BMW CCA site.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:20 AM
Supporting Vendor

Mein Auto: E63 650i
As Agent Mulder says... TRUST NO ONE......

whenever possible, do your own fluid change, you will know its done and done right!

| Bimmerzone.com | 1-800-357-7797 | info@bimmerzone.com | 831 Lincoln Ave, Suite 3, West Chester PA 19380 |

Video about Bimmerzone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me5pjPS88Bw

We are proud to be Authorized Dealers for: Sprint Booster, Peake Research, Eisenmann Exhaust, Hartge, RPI Exhaust, AutoEnginuity, Bentley Publishers, Zymol, P21S, PowerFlex USA, Brembo GT, KW, Hawk and much more!!
Old 02-19-2013, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
if your not under warranty, WHY THE F WOULD YOU GO TO THE DEALER. If your under warranty, I dont think bmw pays for brake oil replacements so WHY THE F would you go to the dealer.

Find an indy. Run with it.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 02-19-2013, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
if your not under warranty, WHY THE F WOULD YOU GO TO THE DEALER. If your under warranty, I dont think bmw pays for brake oil replacements so WHY THE F would you go to the dealer.
Easy with the capitol F's there dude.

For many people this is a big high tech investment and they are nervous about service.

Just because someone is an indy there is no guarantee they they are competent or cheap. Finding someone local you can trust is not always that simple.

I do some things myself and even though I have a very good local guy that I trust, I still need to go the dealer for somethings. Most indys don't have the gear to do things like 4 wheel alignment.

Regardless, you should be able to trust a dealer. You also have a better chance or raising hell with a dealer and getting satisfaction than from some guy in a garage.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 02-19-2013, 01:53 PM
Nothing quite like a 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post

Because I don't drive a Lexus.

FYI: I have BMW Extended Warranty as well well Maintenance contract. I purchased it because, again, I don't drive a Lexus.

P.S: Is there anything from my Original Post mention anything about warranty? I believe what I said was about paying for self request maintenance.

Last edited by reytran; 02-19-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:31 AM
Nothing quite like a 6

After more than a year, I decided to come back to this dealer abt. give it a try. Funny thing. My passenger door can't open. I don't know why, all of sudden.

Guess what? They quote me $1,287 minimum for just to open my door and check. Thanks, I refused. So free carwash and 2 days of using 535i M package with tons of option loaner for me. Not that bad deal to check the price LOL.

Last edited by reytran; 10-16-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:36 AM
Supporting Vendor

Mein Auto: E63 650i
wow...."great deal"
Quote:

Guess what? They quote me $1,287 minimum for just to open my door and check. Thanks, I refused. So free carwash for me. Not that bad deal.

| Bimmerzone.com | 1-800-357-7797 | info@bimmerzone.com | 831 Lincoln Ave, Suite 3, West Chester PA 19380 |

Video about Bimmerzone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me5pjPS88Bw

We are proud to be Authorized Dealers for: Sprint Booster, Peake Research, Eisenmann Exhaust, Hartge, RPI Exhaust, AutoEnginuity, Bentley Publishers, Zymol, P21S, PowerFlex USA, Brembo GT, KW, Hawk and much more!!
Old 10-16-2013, 04:26 PM
Nothing quite like a 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerzone View Post
wow...."great deal"
I asked the service advisor "Do you actually think there is someone will pay for this?". Then he answered "Well, people love their cars, you know" then raise his shoulders.

$1,287 just to open the door and have a look at the components well well well. Dealer start to make these kinda joke.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:42 AM
Living in Fast Forward

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
Dealer fraud? Where is the trust? How do I check all my fluids as if its new or

Quote:
I asked the service advisor "Do you actually think there is someone will pay for this?". Then he answered "Well, people love their cars, you know" then raise his shoulders.

$1,287 just to open the door and have a look at the components well well well. Dealer start to make these kinda joke.
That is ridiculous!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-17-2013, 01:57 AM
Nothing quite like a 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 E63650i View Post
That is ridiculous!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Here they are:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/south-bay-bmw-torrance

I have tons of report about this Dealer

South Bay BMW of Torrance. Good to buy, worst for service.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Because I don't drive a Lexus.

FYI: I have BMW Extended Warranty as well well Maintenance contract. I purchased it because, again, I don't drive a Lexus.

P.S: Is there anything from my Original Post mention anything about warranty? I believe what I said was about paying for self request maintenance.
I dont even recall posting to this thread till today when it popped up on my control panel.

I know you didnt mention warranty, and thus I wanted to know why you went to the dealership at SM in the first place...having an extended M and warranty makes sense.

Machines are machines, anyone whose a knowledgeable Independent BMW mechanic (not a guy who throws parts at a problem) are good at these things. Fluid replacement is a piece of cake and I would never replace at the dealer. I avoid them like the plague, since well you don`t have first hand access to what they're physically doing. INDYs dont have a waiting center, its usually a workshop and thats it. So you have first hand view of whats being done and not done. The BMW oil life meter is a joke, as anyone can reset it in a dime. The purpose of the dealership for me personally is buying one-off parts no one else makes or is available anywhere else. I have done this for all my vehicles.

LOL the funniest thing is when I go to the stealerships for recalls or anything important they know me as the customer who is too DAMN NOSY. I drop my car off, and steal peaks at my vehicle.

Sorry to hear about your door. I cant believe they pulled the "people love their cars so Pay up or go away" lol INDY TIME! People love their cars but im sorry but unless your refurbishing my door I ain`t paying $XXXX for you to diagnose and "possibly" fix my door locks which is probably a jammed door actuator. lol

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 10-18-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post
I cannot imagine a dealer skipping the oil to cut corners, I could see them maybe not changing the filter. If you want to find out for sure if the oil was changed get a oil analysis kit from a local oil testing firm and send off a sample (about $20). The analysis will show how old the oil is. Every major city will have at least one company doing oil analysis - trucking fleets use them.

If the old oil was very dirty, the new oil will also turn black after running the engine for a few minutes. I've seen this happen myself when I've changed oil on poorly maintained cars (not mine!) You need to change oil every 3K miles if you want new oil to stay yellow for more than a few minutes.

How poorly are we talking about? Like Sludgey old oil burner. Usually a properly maintained motor should say clear on the dip for about 500 miles

Speaking of dealers cutting corners, here is a shot of the brake fluid I extracted from my car during my first brake pad change. It was dealer-only maintained by one of the more respected local dealers. The dealer definitely never changed the fluid, it should be light yellow like a Corona beer and it stays that way for years.
See italics

Why does this matter?