Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 10-19-2013, 06:48 PM
As seen on the Internet

Mein Auto: 540iT Dinan
540i Engine Knock sound only when warmed up?

I'm new to this car, but when you first start up the engine cold, it idles smooth. Drives very smoothly. No issues. When you reach normal operating temperature, you hear a faint knocking - which you hear more when idling than while driving but only bc engine and road noise drown out the sound.

I stopped and took a video. The supercharger sound drowns out the knock from the passenger side, but sticking the mic down the driver's side you can hear the noise clearly (about halfway in video).

The noise can be heard from inside the car but you need to turn up your computer speakers.

Thoughts on what could be the source? Again - idles quiet when cold, noise only comes when engine is warm. No performance issues. Drives fine. It's just a noise at this point.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Possible VANOS noise. Go here and browse the forum. www.beisansystems.com

BTW, whenever you wish us to help you, please mention the miles on the car, and the build date.

We are not clairvoyant.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:31 PM
As seen on the Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
Possible VANOS noise. Go here and browse the forum. www.beisansystems.com

BTW, whenever you wish us to help you, please mention the miles on the car, and the build date.

We are not clairvoyant.
Thanks. Build date in my signature - 2000. Mileage at 122k, as shown in video.

VANOS seals done at some point in the past few years - will have to check records.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
No, build date is a month/year expression, as noted on the door jamb sticker. Sometimes, things change during a model year run, and it may help us to know.

VANOS seals have not been available for the V8 until the last couple of years. You need to examine the records to verify. If it was a dealer VANOS ASSEMBLY replacement, the same crappy seals were used in these units, not the improved Beisan seals.

Read up on this: http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

Last edited by edjack; 10-19-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:29 PM
As seen on the Internet

Ah - ok, didnt realize mid year changes. Will check door jamb and records and post more details.

From the video, does it sound like a VANOS noise? Would it be not present until the engine is warm though?
Old 10-20-2013, 06:17 AM

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
When the engine is warmed up the oil pressure drops to ~10 PSI at idle, from 50+ when it's at cold idle.
When these cars were under warranty BMW said that this was not a problem and won't effect its operation. If the owner complained enough they would change the rod bearings.
You could try a thicker oil, maybe give so 20w/50 a try. What are you using now?

2000 540/6 Slightly tweeked...everywhere