Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e39 BMW 540i
Annoying rattle with roof up :-(

Hi Folks,

When the roof is up and the windows closed I have a highly annoying rattle coming from rear passenger side (I have a RHD, so it would be the left rear side). When the roof is down the rattle is not present, and when I open either the passenger side window or the passenger rear window even only a millimetre then the rattle is gone. I cleaned the rubber between the two windows with WD40 yesterday, but the rattle persists.

Any advice?

Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 10-17-2013, 05:15 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E64
I get this on occasion too......
Old 10-17-2013, 05:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
There are some posts about loose shocks in the rear causing rattles. Not sure if that's your issue but it's worth a look.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 10-17-2013, 10:27 AM

Well my entire car is one big PITA at the moment. All 4 rims are bent out of shape, the shocks are finished, aircon makes the front end vibrate...just a little fed up TBH. I was offered a straight trade for a MB S350 (2007 W221 model) with every optional extra available (even the massaging rear seats) and I am very seriously considering taking it.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_za View Post
Well my entire car is one big PITA at the moment. All 4 rims are bent out of shape, the shocks are finished, aircon makes the front end vibrate...just a little fed up TBH. I was offered a straight trade for a MB S350 (2007 W221 model) with every optional extra available (even the massaging rear seats) and I am very seriously considering taking it.
Sounds like you should be considering a Range Rover, or a tank.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 10-20-2013, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: 650 Convertible
I've had this same annoying sound since my car was new. Had it checked 3 time under warranty and no relief. They tried lubricating the seals but that obviously wasn't the problem. It is certainly not a loose shock. I would be very interested if someone figures this one out. I'm not quite ready to remove the interior panel to start messing around until I have some better idea of what it is I'm looking for.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:17 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
The fact that the rattle goes away after opening either of the left side windows would lead me to think it's the roof frame or roof frame attachment point making the noise. Opening the window is probably changing tension on the frame and stopping the rattle. I would get someone to sit in the back seat to help pinpoint the location.

It might also be something loose with the window lift mechanism. When the windows are up and pressing on the roof the pressure might be causing something to rattle.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 10-21-2013, 07:27 AM

Well, this past weekend I lubricated all the rubbers and seals and the rattle has gone away. I did quite a few things this weekend which I am proud of but will post another thread on it. Other than the window rattle there is one more rattle coming from inside the driver door, but thanks to my new ISID VM I am lead to believe that it may be a loose bowden cable.