Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X1
Installed Thule Aeroblade Edge roof rack on my X1

I went ahead and installed the Thule Aeroblade Edge roof rack and one fork-mounted bike rack on my X1 this weekend. I went with the low-profile version that doesn't have the load bars extending out past the roof rails and I'm quite happy with how it turned out. I drove it on the freeway this morning with the moonroof closed, but the shade open and the wind noise was negligible. Much improved design over the Thule 753 rack I had on my E46.

I put a couple of pictures up if anyone wants to see how this kit looks. I would recommend it as a good cargo solution.

Rack
http://kristik2.smugmug.com/Cars/BMW...X3/Rack-X3.jpg

Close up
http://kristik2.smugmug.com/Cars/BMW...ack%202-X3.jpg

2014 X1 sDrive 28i :: Mineral Grey Metallic :: Black Nevada Leather :: Ultimate Package :: Heated Seats
2005 325Ci :: Sparkling Graphite :: ZSP :: Black'ette :: Aluminum Trim :: Thule Rack :: Dice (Retired)
Advertisement
Old 10-21-2013, 12:45 PM

I've gone back and forth on what kind of bike rack to buy...this looks good but id be too nervous of scratching the roof of the car with a missed fork placement.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: X1
Looks good. If I am looking at the right model, it comes in Small, Med or Large. Which size fits the X1?
Old 10-21-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologic View Post
Looks good. If I am looking at the right model, it comes in Small, Med or Large. Which size fits the X1?
Never mind, I was able to figure it out. Looks like the parts are:

Thule Fit Kit KIT4013
Thule AeroBlade Edge 7602
Thule AeroBlade Edge 7603
Old 10-21-2013, 02:19 PM

@technologic - that's the right kit. Depending on what attachments you get, you might also need an adapter kit to make them work with the aeroblades. The bike tray I bought needed an XAdapt 9 piece for it to attach to the rear load bar.

I'm super careful about putting my bikes up. I generally throw a beach towel up on my roof when putting on a bike as added protection from scratches. With the X1 being slightly taller, I do need a stepstool to reach, which is sort of annoying.

2014 X1 sDrive 28i :: Mineral Grey Metallic :: Black Nevada Leather :: Ultimate Package :: Heated Seats
2005 325Ci :: Sparkling Graphite :: ZSP :: Black'ette :: Aluminum Trim :: Thule Rack :: Dice (Retired)
Old 10-22-2013, 03:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport
Sweet set up. Looks much lower and more aero than the OEM set up I have. Did you consider a fairing? Was not sure there was a major difference from the OEM set up, but it looks like it might be quieter. Looks like a trip to REI is in order.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive35i
I have this same set up. Observations - you do not need a fairing, I did have to move the front bar forward a couple of times to prevent a whistle noise when the sun roof was tilted up. I leave the bars on all the time and they are very quite. I carry my bike inside and put a cargo box on the roof rack & remove the box when not in use. - I returned a Thule Echelon bike carrier because there was not room for the cargo box and the bike rack to be used at the same time.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
I have a set of the BMW racks sitting in my garage if anyone is interested

2011 550i Sport, premium, Dark Graphite
Old 10-31-2013, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowhatanDP View Post
I have this same set up. Observations - you do not need a fairing, I did have to move the front bar forward a couple of times to prevent a whistle noise when the sun roof was tilted up. I leave the bars on all the time and they are very quite. I carry my bike inside and put a cargo box on the roof rack & remove the box when not in use. - I returned a Thule Echelon bike carrier because there was not room for the cargo box and the bike rack to be used at the same time.
Thanks for the clarification. Will be getting a set soon.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:04 PM

Mein Auto: Mazda

To all:

We are definitely getting a rack and a cargo box, as the "trunk space" in the X1 is quite small, as you all know.

A superficial Google search suggests that the total price of the three necessary parts are greater than the OEM rack.

So, may I ask what the benefits are for going with this rack over the OEM?

Thanks for your help!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-01-2013, 07:50 PM

So, after my last post being up for a month with no replies, we went ahead and bought the BMW rack today.

I gotta say, it does sit up quite high, and looks pretty ridiculous. But that's not really an issue. We won't be leaving them on when they aren't on use. I'll keep them in storage until we are going on a trip and need the cargo box.

Ultimately, we went with the OEM rack because the local dealer was selling them at $195 this weekend. Normally they are $275.
That seemed like a pretty good deal.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jealousofmywife View Post
So, after my last post being up for a month with no replies, we went ahead and bought the BMW rack today.

I gotta say, it does sit up quite high, and looks pretty ridiculous. But that's not really an issue. We won't be leaving them on when they aren't on use. I'll keep them in storage until we are going on a trip and need the cargo box.

Ultimately, we went with the OEM rack because the local dealer was selling them at $195 this weekend. Normally they are $275.
That seemed like a pretty good deal.

I have the OEM racks too and the extra height is perfect if you are using it with the snowboard holder so the bindings don't touch the roof. They are really easy to take off and put on so I only put them on when needed.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:41 PM

I've never had to use a snowboard rack before. We just folded down the seats in our old Escape. But the X1 is much smaller. A board rack might be a necessity if it's a weekend trip.

So the boards go upside down and the bindings face the roof?

Old 12-04-2013, 12:23 AM

It can go either way. The snowboard/ski holder can carry two snowboards. One would face down and one would face up.

Last edited by Wolfex; 12-09-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:47 PM

Wolfex, do you have a cargo box?
If so, do you have one of the OEM boxes or do you use an aftermarket box?
If it's an aftermarket box, which brand and model is it?
I see that many aftermarket boxes say "works with most manufacturer's cargo racks". It's the word "most" that concerns me. I'm not having much luck finding any websites saying "this box will work with OEM BMW X1 cross bars".

Old 12-09-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jealousofmywife View Post
Wolfex, do you have a cargo box?

No I don't have a cargo box. Can't help you there.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive35i
I have a Yakima box & it works with the Thule Aeroblade Edge bars. You might want to see this to make sure you don't get a box that is too long that will not let you open the rear hatch - http://www.yakima.com/download/Yakim...terference.pdf

You will also want to get the box locally - they cost a mint to ship. That way you can also make sure it fits your bars.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:38 AM

Does anyone know if these aeroblade edge rack are okay with snowboards facing up and down? Thinking to get these, but want to make sure that I can fit the snowboards fine.
Thanks.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:52 AM
2014 X1 VO

Mein Auto: X1 x28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by digikai View Post
Does anyone know if these aeroblade edge rack are okay with snowboards facing up and down? Thinking to get these, but want to make sure that I can fit the snowboards fine.
Thanks.
I put two snowboards back to back. so once set of bindings are facing toward the roof. I just make sure the bindings are as compact and tightly strapped as can be.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:55 AM
2014 X1 VO

Mein Auto: X1 x28i
Question... my aero blades have a slight bow (high in middle) to them. I expected them to be flat. Anyone else notice a bow?

I'm worried about carrying big flat stuff. Sometimes I need to bring home sheets of ply wood or sheetrock. The bow could break the latter I'm thinking.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:31 PM

Mein Auto: BMX X1 xdrive28i on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVX1 View Post
Question... my aero blades have a slight bow (high in middle) to them. I expected them to be flat. Anyone else notice a bow?
Mine have a tiny bow - 1/4 inch higher in the center. However, the plastic caps on the ends are exactly 1/4 inch higher than the metal blade at the ends, so it is exactly flat from plastic end cap to metal center to the other plastic end cap.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:49 AM

Thanks AVX1.
Could I know what type of bindings do you have? I asked the question to Thule customer service and they say it's a high possibility the bindings will touch the roof.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:50 AM

Thanks AVX1.
Could I know what type of bindings do you have? I asked the question to Thule customer service and they say it's a high possibility the bindings will touch the roof.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:58 PM

Mein Auto: BMX X1 xdrive28i on order
There is 2" clearance (bottom of blades to the X1 roof) in the center, and more on the sides. Can't see this being a problem. I'm using a Yakima ski carrier and they require almost no clearance.