Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 10-18-2013, 07:49 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2003 x5
interior lights will not turn off

2003 BMW X5

Hello,

My interior dome lights will not turn off. Have manually turned lights off but they would repeatedly stay on. Every once in awhile, a combination of things will work to keep the lights off. Is this a common problem and is there a one-fits-all solution that I can remember to do if/when it happens again?

Danke,
Amy
Advertisement
Old 10-20-2013, 07:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
There's not enough info to make good suggestions. We have nothing past or present ...an event or circumstance to point us in a direction. Are there any warning lights on to help suggest a culprit? For example, interior lights come on when a door or tailgate is open...any warning lights? Also the ignition triggers the illumination of interior lights & fade-to-off feature...hopefully you're not confusing that with them being on.

If you press & hold the center light button near the rear view mirror, you can disable the interior lights...try that and see if they stay off permanently. If hy do, then turn them back on (just press the button again briefly)...then see if they go back to normal operation.
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg
Old 10-20-2013, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW X5
just a question for Qsilver7 or anyone else that may know this question are the interior lights triggered by the door latch if so maybe a problem with one of the door latch ? just a question .
Old 10-20-2013, 10:33 AM

Yes, doors/tailgate trigger the interior lights...which is why I asked for more info...like if there was a DOOR OPEN warning in the check control display or the graphic display (which again, we don't know how this x5 is configured due to scant info/detail of what we're working with).

Help us help you better...provide or create a signature that includes model, model year, build date...and when asking questions where there are multiple systems involved that can be different based on how the vehicle is optioned...don't forget to provide that info so that we can tailor answers & suggestions based specifically how your vehicle is optioned.

Examples of some things that would be helpful:
  • Warnings are displayed differently depending on high cluster (20 digit alpha/numeric display) or low cluster (graphic display)
  • Any issues with central locking system? An actuator may not be opening or closing
  • Any other odd electrical glitches associated when key in the ignition...steering wheel moves on its own, radio turns off by itself, horn stops working?

If there are other or more things that will help...please give as much detail/info as possible. The better you paint the picture...the better response you'll get.
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)

Last edited by QSilver7; 10-20-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:01 PM

Interior lights won't turn off

Sorry that I can't provide any more info than what I have given you. The other day, when I wrote, the lights would not turn off on their own. I had to turn them off manually by turning off the interior lights from the panel on the ceiling.

I would not write to ask if I had not already checked all my doors and hatch to see if they were closed :-) That is just common sense :-)

There are no "indicators" on the dash or anything to use as a base starting point. The lights just did not turn off.

I turned off the car, shut the door, and the lights stayed on. I went back, hit the light switch/button on the ceiling in both the front and back seats. The only one that worked to keep the lights off was the light switch/button in the front ceiling panel.

Just looking for possible reasons as to why they don't turn off automatically anymore.

Thanks!
Amy
2003 BMW x5
Old 10-21-2013, 05:05 PM

RE: Quicksliver 7

as an FYI, as I look back at my original post, I DO have the year and model of my vehicle at the top/beginning of my question. Sorry you didn't see it.

Thanks!
Amy
Old 10-22-2013, 12:10 AM

Thanks Amy, I did see that you had a 2006 X5...but that's your model year & platform...you don't say which model you have like the 3.0/3.0d/4.4/4.8is...there can be a lot of differences between how an 06 X5 3.0 is optioned versus an 06 X5 4.8is. There's different engines, transmissions, and could be optioned differently with different instrument clusters, MIDs, or Navs and HVAC systems etc. Providing that info helps us to help you better...as well as helping others that may run across your threads in the future as they seek information for an issue they are having.

Providing the "full" model nomenclature lets them know right away if the suggestions/resolution/situation/issue applies to their application. And as far as providing build date info...sometimes BMW rolled out options mid production...for instance, the the panoramic sunroof and adaptive headlights came after the first few months of the 2004 model year had already been on the market...or like Bluetooth starts with 10/2004 production. There are times you may ask a question that will require the person answering to look up information...and that info may have a build date range. Not knowing where you fall in the build date range then makes it more difficult to answer your reply.

Interior lighting I believe is controlled by the GM. And as you can see in the topological chart below...the GM III also controls FZV & DWA (central locking system & anti-theft alarm siren system). So the possibility of a door or tailgate actuator may be the culprit...but further diagnostics will be required.

Good luck.

(SOLD)

Old 10-22-2013, 08:48 AM

Hi Quicksilver...

I have a 2003 BMX x5 3.0i, not a 2006 :-) I turned off my car and the interior lights stay on. The only way to keep the lights off is to manually click the light panel on the roof. I was just wondering what the issue could be that would make the lights stay on. Sorry I can not provide any other info. I appreciate your time in answering, but I just don't have any other info to share. I will show my husband this post and maybe he can figure out what the issue is. Thanks for the images.

So, for my future posts, what info are you looking for me to have as a signature, exactly? Where would I find this info? Didn't realize that I needed more than the year, and model to get accurate info.

Thanks again for your time.

Amuy
Old 10-22-2013, 09:26 AM

Along the top left of the page (in a black border) you should see a link that says USER CP. When you click that link, there should see other links along the left side of the page...look under SETTING & OPTIONS for EDIT SIGNATURE.

That will open up a message box where you can create a signature that includes your name/handle and your X5's info (sorry about the wrong year I typed . You can add an image later if you like...its up to you. But creating a signature with your X5s info (2003 X5 3.0) and your name/handle makes it easier on you not having to always type that same pertinent info each time you post....and again, it helps us to help you better...as well as helping others that may come across your posts in the future.

BTW, the build date should be on the mfg label that is on your driver's door jamb. You can see in the image below...my BMW MFG label...and the build date of 12/05 is located at the upper right of the label:

I'd also recommend disabling the interior lights just in case they want to remain on and drain the battery. If you need the conveniece or safety of the interior lights...then feel free to turn all or just the reading lamps on as you need. I'd hate to see you get stranded from a drained battery. See the instructions below in the yellow highlighted text on how to disable the interior lights (until you can find the culprit):

(SOLD)

Last edited by QSilver7; 10-22-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:32 AM

Thank you. Will get that info into my signature. I appreciate your time.

Amy