Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:12 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 650i
Angry bmw 650i convertible top problem

hello, guys i need really your help and experince on this i have a 2006 bmw 650 convertible with 10.000 mile the car like new but i have the problem with the top that the top now is up and the windows down all the way and froze like that and when i push the botton to put down light up green and nothing happend and same thing when i want to close then flash red and i cant left up the windows and cant drive it this way...did anyone know how to rest the top or what really make that problem i saw another thread about the same problem please help me and i this not the first time i took it twice to the dealer while was under warranty and they said we fixed it and after a while its ****ed up again i think those fu*** just was reseting the top nothing else!!!!!
Ads by Google
Old 09-20-2011, 08:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Holy run-on sentence Batman!

OK, you have the dreaded convertible top issue. Some have had luck by pressing on the sensor bracket located in the convertible top, please see the post from Boesman which includes pictures of the location. Some have had luck by pushing and prodding the top frame. The problem seems to be that there is a sensor in the convertible top frame that monitors where the angle of rotation is, it gets off and everything goes bad.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&postcount=120

Here is a link to a previous post about the Technical Service Bulletin regarding this issue. You might want to review this with your dealer

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=25

If this doesn't get you straight, refer to your manual on how to manually raise and lower the top. There is a tool in the back. If you do not have the manual is is the instructions from the PDF manual.

EDIT: Crap, looks like I can't just pull out the 3 pages I needed. If you don't have your manual let us know and I am sure someone can get a printout for you, or download it by registering with BMW, it is free. The procedure is on Page 43-46 in the manual

Last edited by tampamark; 09-20-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:56 AM

thaaaank youuuu.....hey the first step works by pushing on that angel but this not fixing the problem isnt?? i need to change the sensor ?? on the second thread??
Old 09-20-2011, 09:33 AM

The TSB calls for modifying the bracket that the rotation sensor is located on. Something to do with expansion issues in the heat. They enlarge some holes. I believe in some rare instances there has been a sensor replacement. Notice in the TSB that there is a pre-2005 (replace part) and post-2005 (modify part) instruction.

But you are correct, the bracket push trick just addresses the symptoms, no the problem. But if it works at least you aren't dead in the water so to speak.

Last edited by tampamark; 09-20-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:50 AM

im wondering guys if i can take off the sensor will the roof still work??? and use it without the sensor did anyone know about that??
Old 10-13-2011, 10:45 AM

Nope, the ecu reads the position of that sensor on several segments as the top opens/closes. So taking the sensor out would yield bad results.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Bimmer
Old 10-14-2011, 05:16 AM

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
Adam1, you may want to consult another dealership on this issue. Many who had the TSB done sometimes still had to go back to have them do it again. So if the dealer said they already address the problem, it is obvious they still need to do some more alignment. It states in the TSB that if the customer still complains, they will need to do some more fine tuning of the bracket holes that holds the sensor. Unfortunately it's not a one time fix but sometimes it takes a series of adjustments. I had mine done and I had to take it back to them twice before they got it right. Keep on them and don't let up. Call BMW of NA if you have to. It dosen't matter if your car is out of warranty or not because this is a TSB issued by BMW so they have to fix it no matter how long it takes.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:38 PM
Cliff

Mein Auto: 650i
Have had a s similar problem with my 2007 650i conv, except that the top fails to function when in the down position. Yup, after a day of riding around, I get home and the top will not go up. This happened before, I raised the top manually (not easy to do) and the dealer adjusted the "angle sensor"; now it's happened again. I'm wondering how to adjust the sensor when the top is down...
thanks
Old 10-23-2011, 02:03 PM

Perhaps you can manually open the boot and fool with the angle sensor while it is in the down position? Regardless looks like you have some more dealer time in store for you, messing with the angle sensor only addresses the symptom.

This angle sensor is the dumbest engineering design ever. Why they just don't have a simple sensor system to indicate when the top is up, then down, and just ignore every position in between is beyond me. Instead the BMW engineers had to create a system where it reads the status in 7 segments. Here is a PDF that illustrates what is read dynamically during the top open/close procedure and the different positions. This should be another person or team of people that should be stripped of their duties, that along with the designer of the Ellipsoid rims!!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW Top unlock Segment_Status_6_Cabrio.pdf (2.54 MB, 337 views)
Old 11-01-2011, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650i Converible
Our 2006 has the same issue and the dealer has been unable to fix it. They have already modified the sensor once, we will try a different dealer next.

Remember that there is a manual key tucked inside of the key fob. A little clip at the end releases it. This will allow you to manually open the trunk if you have the dreaded red flashing light. My wife recently had to drive home in a cold rain with the windows stuck halfway down. At least I was able to access the cover we store in the trunk, otherwise the inside of the car would have been soaked by morning.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouperhound View Post
Our 2006 has the same issue and the dealer has been unable to fix it. They have already modified the sensor once, we will try a different dealer next.

Remember that there is a manual key tucked inside of the key fob. A little clip at the end releases it. This will allow you to manually open the trunk if you have the dreaded red flashing light. My wife recently had to drive home in a cold rain with the windows stuck halfway down. At least I was able to access the cover we store in the trunk, otherwise the inside of the car would have been soaked by morning.
Grouper - did you try the legendary "push on the sensor/brace" inside the top...? It worked for me on a similar "top not locked" issue. Credit to boesman10 for coming up with this temporary "field fix" of sorts that has worked on this issue for several fest members. Here's the threads that explain the details.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&postcount=120
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...10+convertible

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 11-02-2011, 04:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650i Converible
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregb View Post
Grouper - did you try the legendary "push on the sensor/brace" inside the top...? It worked for me on a similar "top not locked" issue. Credit to boesman10 for coming up with this temporary "field fix" of sorts that has worked on this issue for several fest members. Here's the threads that explain the details.
Thanks no I have not tried yet, but I did read about these links yesterday when searching for the problem. I'm out of town this week and the wife has the car. I tried to explain to her over the phone last night how to do it, but she would have no part of it. I'll walk her through it this weekend. Fortunately the issue is not happening at the moment.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650i convertible
Smile Top not locked problem

Thanks Boseman10 for the great pics. You saved my bacon... from getting wet.
Just a light touch on the sweet spot is all it needed.
Love those Germans, they gave my car a G spot!
Great Advice
Old 03-14-2014, 11:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650i Black
Thank you Boesman 10. I just walked into the garage and did as u instructed and it worked! If that's all I have to do when this happens on rare occasion then I say big deal. I hate taking my car in to the dealer. This solves my problem. Thx again!
Old 03-15-2014, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
I believe someone mentioned that at a shop overseas they welded a piece of his convertible top to the car to prevent it from getting out of alignment. This fixed his top not closed error permanently. The member posted it in the Boesman thread recently. It's worth looking into...