Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-21-2013, 08:42 AM
hugo_za hugo_za is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 116
Mein Auto: e39 BMW 540i
Maintenance - MAF, Aircon Shaking, Window Rattle

Hello folks,

This weekend I spent some time on the 6-er again.

Annoying rattle from rear window:
When the roof is up and the windows closed I have a highly annoying rattle coming from rear passenger side. When the roof is down the rattle is not present, and when I open either the passenger side window or the passenger rear window even only a millimetre then the rattle is gone. I cleaned the rubber between the two windows with WD40, but the rattle persisted. So, I went and bought some silicone lubricant spray and went over the entire car lubricating all the rubbers and seals. The rattle is now gone :-)

Erratic Idle and Air Mass readings in INPA:
On the video I posted recently my Air Mass readings in INPA were throwing an exclamation mark and the idle RPM was very erratic. This was on idle with the car in Neutral or Drive. I took the MAF sensor out, sprayed it with carb cleaner and allowed it to dry. Reinstalled it and the erratic idle is gone and the Air Mass readings at idle and drive are now no longer showing an exclamation.

Aircon Vibration:
Since my aircon belt was fitted and my aircon became functional again I noticed that every time the aircon is engaged the car shakes badly at idle (while waiting at a red light, for instance). I though that it could be the belt which was not seated correctly, but after inspection ruled that option out. I hooked the car up to INPA and had a look at some live engine readings and also ruled out the engine being the culprit. So, last resort was re-flashing the control module with the stock values (not that I had modified them). After allowing the car to sleep and taking her for a drive I was pleased to find that the shaking is gone.

Besides the vibration at highway speeds (which I suspect to be caused by the bent rims) my car is purring like a kitten again. The fuel economy has settled into a comfortable 16l/100km (overall) and all is well in the world.

Still to be done:
  • Shocks
  • Brake Disks - Front
  • Anual Service - December
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 10-21-2013, 12:10 PM
roseng's Avatar
roseng roseng is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calabasas, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,496
Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_za View Post
Hello folks,

This weekend I spent some time on the 6-er again.

Annoying rattle from rear window:
When the roof is up and the windows closed I have a highly annoying rattle coming from rear passenger side. When the roof is down the rattle is not present, and when I open either the passenger side window or the passenger rear window even only a millimetre then the rattle is gone. I cleaned the rubber between the two windows with WD40, but the rattle persisted. So, I went and bought some silicone lubricant spray and went over the entire car lubricating all the rubbers and seals. The rattle is now gone :-)

Erratic Idle and Air Mass readings in INPA:
On the video I posted recently my Air Mass readings in INPA were throwing an exclamation mark and the idle RPM was very erratic. This was on idle with the car in Neutral or Drive. I took the MAF sensor out, sprayed it with carb cleaner and allowed it to dry. Reinstalled it and the erratic idle is gone and the Air Mass readings at idle and drive are now no longer showing an exclamation.

Aircon Vibration:
Since my aircon belt was fitted and my aircon became functional again I noticed that every time the aircon is engaged the car shakes badly at idle (while waiting at a red light, for instance). I though that it could be the belt which was not seated correctly, but after inspection ruled that option out. I hooked the car up to INPA and had a look at some live engine readings and also ruled out the engine being the culprit. So, last resort was re-flashing the control module with the stock values (not that I had modified them). After allowing the car to sleep and taking her for a drive I was pleased to find that the shaking is gone.

Besides the vibration at highway speeds (which I suspect to be caused by the bent rims) my car is purring like a kitten again. The fuel economy has settled into a comfortable 16l/100km (overall) and all is well in the world.

Still to be done:
  • Shocks
  • Brake Disks - Front
  • Anual Service - December
Well done.
__________________

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-21-2013, 12:18 PM
dolfan13's Avatar
dolfan13 dolfan13 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: lexington,ky usa
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 937
Mein Auto: 545i
Hugo za can I ask what amount of air mass reading do you get with air on /off?INPA shows me at 17 kg with AC off and 29 kg plus with AC on.With AC on this shows an exclamation.Im having a rough idle and have cleaned the MAF twice to no change.Dont want to spend money on a MAF if not needed .Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-21-2013, 12:26 PM
hugo_za hugo_za is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 116
Mein Auto: e39 BMW 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfan13 View Post
Hugo za can I ask what amount of air mass reading do you get with air on /off?INPA shows me at 17 kg with AC off and 29 kg plus with AC on.With AC on this shows an exclamation.Im having a rough idle and have cleaned the MAF twice to no change.Dont want to spend money on a MAF if not needed .Thanks.
I will do a readout some time this week and let you know for sure.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-21-2013, 01:22 PM
FredoinSF FredoinSF is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bay Area and Reno
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,957
Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
Well done chasing all the gremlins, but...

16l/100km!! Holy gas consumption Batman, that's 14MPG!! You either drive it like you stole it or I drive mine like a church lady following funeral processions. I'm at 11.4l/100km (20.6MPG) lifetime according to Fuelly. Granted, I do mostly highway, but I'm not holding up any traffic if you know what I mean...
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-22-2013, 02:57 AM
hugo_za hugo_za is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 116
Mein Auto: e39 BMW 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
Well done chasing all the gremlins, but...

16l/100km!! Holy gas consumption Batman, that's 14MPG!! You either drive it like you stole it or I drive mine like a church lady following funeral processions. I'm at 11.4l/100km (20.6MPG) lifetime according to Fuelly. Granted, I do mostly highway, but I'm not holding up any traffic if you know what I mean...
Hahahaha, consumption is due to me sitting in gridlocked traffic for two hours a day with only occasional highway driving. Even then, my best has been 9l/100km on the open road. But yeah, I do drive it like a boy racer when traffic flow allows for it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-22-2013, 08:26 AM
HerbP HerbP is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,762
Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Good job on using INPA to help find the problem. The program is hard to understand sometimes, but the more you use it, the easier it is.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-22-2013, 02:55 PM
reytran's Avatar
reytran reytran is offline
Nothing quite like a 6
Location: Santa Monica
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 521
Mein Auto: 09' 650i Cabrio
I have a question. Why everyone using the WD40? I bought before but I feel I'm really dumb. What should I do with it? Apply on the surface ? Or apply in all the gap ? ..etc ... ?
__________________
2009 BMW 650i Cabrio (daily drive)
2011 Audi A4 (groceries, bully, road trip, winter beater, family car)

BMW CCA ID: 473647
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-22-2013, 05:37 PM
Yorgi's Avatar
Yorgi Yorgi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,644
Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
You should never use WD40 or Armor All on your rubber seals, there are petroleum additives in them that will dissolve your rubber and cause premature failure.

Any pure silicone spray is good, just make sure it is petroleum-free. Some other popular choices: Sil-Glyde, Krytox (expensive but the best), 303 Aerospace Protectant. I still use Einszett Gummi Pflege but when that runs out I'll switch to something Krytox based.
__________________
Straight lines are for fast cars...turns are for fast drivers
'04 M3 - track
'06 650i Cab - daily driver
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-22-2013, 05:54 PM
reytran's Avatar
reytran reytran is offline
Nothing quite like a 6
Location: Santa Monica
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 521
Mein Auto: 09' 650i Cabrio
Maintenance - MAF, Aircon Shaking, Window Rattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post
You should never use WD40 or Armor All on your rubber seals, there are petroleum additives in them that will dissolve your rubber and cause premature failure.

Any pure silicone spray is good, just make sure it is petroleum-free. Some other popular choices: Sil-Glyde, Krytox (expensive but the best), 303 Aerospace Protectant. I still use Einszett Gummi Pflege but when that runs out I'll switch to something Krytox based.
Yorgi,

So i should use an applicant pad to apply them on the rubber seal? Like all of the rubber seal? I still have the 303. When I finish i will try the krytox.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
2009 BMW 650i Cabrio (daily drive)
2011 Audi A4 (groceries, bully, road trip, winter beater, family car)

BMW CCA ID: 473647
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-22-2013, 06:35 PM
Yorgi's Avatar
Yorgi Yorgi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,644
Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Personally I apply Gummi Pflege using a small applicator pad to rubber gaskets - trunk, doors, convertible top storage deck lid, etc... and also ONLY to the exterior of the rubber seals around the windows. I do not add protectant to the rubber down between the windows and the inside of the rubber seal.

BMW uses a foam or felt layer on the inside of the rubber gasket that acts as a friction reducer so the windows do not squeal when they go up and down. If that thin foam layer wears down over time and the hard rubber makes contact with the window it can cause squealing, and that is when you want to add protectant to the inside of the rubber gasket.

Try to fold back the gasket with a hard plastic trim removal tool (like a plastic screwdriver that will not scratch the window) then apply the protectant with a q-tip or small piece of microfibre towel. The protectant is now acting more as a lubricant in this case so you might want to use a pure silicone or Krytox based grease. Make sure you let it dry for a day or two before using the windows or you will get streaks on the glass.
__________________
Straight lines are for fast cars...turns are for fast drivers
'04 M3 - track
'06 650i Cab - daily driver
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-23-2013, 03:38 AM
hugo_za hugo_za is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 116
Mein Auto: e39 BMW 540i
Thanks for all the advice there Yorgi! I checked and made sure that the silicone spray is petroleum free.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms