Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 10-20-2013, 12:51 AM
Prometheus

Mein Auto: X5 e53 3.0i 2006
Cleaning the Plastic

E53s are now starting to age gracefully. To prevent premature ageing of all those exterior plastic body parts, light covers and grill, I cannot recommend Mothers Plastic Cleaner enough. It will create a moisturising seal over the plastic surface to prevent stains during winter and warping and splitting in the hot summers. Your plastic parts will come up shining and new when used liberally. For $20, it will be one of your e53's greatest investments, and no, this is not an advertisement!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Ads by Google
Old 10-20-2013, 02:46 AM
Happy not Hippie

Mein Auto: BMW '03 X5 Die and KOMBIS
Thank you, I have tried a few different products without much success. Will try Mother's.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW X5
does mothers leave a greasy film like armorall?
Old 10-20-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
E53s are now starting to age gracefully. To prevent premature ageing of all those exterior plastic body parts, light covers and grill, I cannot recommend Mothers Plastic Cleaner enough. It will create a moisturising seal over the plastic surface to prevent stains during winter and warping and splitting in the hot summers. Your plastic parts will come up shining and new when used liberally. For $20, it will be one of your e53's greatest investments, and no, this is not an advertisement!

e53 might be aging gracefully but if you look at a ford escape thats around 5 yrs old most of them are rusting out near the doglegs and inside the doors and paint pealling ,I was looking at escapes before buying my x5 a couple of months ago and decided to get a bmw which is 5 yrs older than the escape but in better shape(still looks almost new) for alot of reasons .
Old 10-20-2013, 03:20 PM
Prometheus

Cleaning the Plastic

That's right. There is no denying that BMW will outlast the cheaper slap together makes, which are not really cars but an imitation made to look like a car. Keeping your car clean will make it last 30 years, not 15.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:24 PM
Prometheus

Cleaning the Plastic

There is a film left after applying Mothers, but that is how it works. My method is to apply Mothers with a moistened cloth to assist application, then with a dry cloth, I rub it 'into ' the plastic surface. Correct application will mean the plastic parts have greater reflectance in the sun and will dry quicker after getting wet.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:14 PM

hmm I just hate the film on your hands after I know armor all stays there for a while.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:55 PM
Prometheus

Cleaning the Plastic

Mothers is a better product than ArmorAll. You won't get grease on your hands by touching the plastic surfaces after application. It should feel soft, smooth and pleasant to touch and should not leave on your hands any greasy residue.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:00 PM

k thx I might try it out .
Old 10-23-2013, 04:55 AM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
A couple weeks ago I noticed our 2010 had some window seals drying and getting crusty. After some web searching I had found something made by BMW called Gummi Pflege only to discover it is no longer available So I went to the SA and their service tech recommended Vinylex (a Lexol product). It is definitely not greasy and seems to be returning the flexibility back to the seals. When applied to a portion that is not dried it seems to just bead up and sit on the surface so not sure how it will protect. Additionally I applied it to the black hard plastic on the interior of our A4 and it really made those look brand new, the wife was very happy!
Old 11-02-2013, 06:24 AM
Prometheus

Cleaning the Plastic

Yeah, I aplply Mothers to the cracked window seals. I let Mothers soak in. In fact, the only cracked window seal I have on my 2006 x5 is the one that runs along the top of the front window. So I 'pat' Mothers into that seal to keep it moist because Australia has harsh sunlight and in West Australia, temperatures reach 40-45 degrees at worst, and Mothers offers fantastic defence against those temperatures.