Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F06 Gran Coupe (2013 - Current)

F06 Gran Coupe (2013 - Current)
BMW's entrance into the 4 door coupe segment to go head to head with the Audi A7 and MB CLS

Old 10-08-2013, 07:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 530i
Post Apple iPhone 5/5S snap-in adapter now available

I am ordering a my 640 GC. Look what got released yesterday...Apple iPhone 5/5S snap in is now available!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf iPhone 5 Adapter Bulletin.pdf (224.9 KB, 693 views)
Ads by Google
Old 10-10-2013, 04:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW X6 3.5 sport
Oh sweet. I've got a new 640xi arriving next week. I'll email my dealer and get him on it. Thanks!
Old 10-10-2013, 06:00 PM

Mein Auto: 14 650iX GC, 14 MB GL550
Checked with my dealer after seeing this post the other day and was able to order the "Connect" version of iPhone 5/5S adapter. Picked it up today. Important to note for everyone as captioned in the the release from the OP that it is currently only compatible with the new NBT version of Nav/iDrive (MY14, July '13 build and later for 6 Series). The "Music/Media" version listed for 2014 release is supposed to work with previous system.

Parts guy at dealer kept trying to talk me out of ordering and said he was certain it wouldn't do anything more than charge phone and I wouldn't be able to access content. He didn't seem to know that is true for previous system, but not for my build. Finally had to tell him I would take my chances and please just process my order. Works great on new nav and had no problem accessing content, BMW Apps, etc.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: 640xi Gran Coupe
What is the advantage over just using a USB?
Old 10-10-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOC10 View Post
What is the advantage over just using a USB?
Frees up the USB port for a second device. Don't use everyday, but when do it's more convenient than having to manually trade off on the single port.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgc650i View Post
Checked with my dealer after seeing this post the other day and was able to order the "Connect" version of iPhone 5/5S adapter. Picked it up today. Important to note for everyone as captioned in the the release from the OP that it is currently only compatible with the new NBT version of Nav/iDrive (MY14, July '13 build and later for 6 Series). The "Music/Media" version listed for 2014 release is supposed to work with previous system.

Parts guy at dealer kept trying to talk me out of ordering and said he was certain it wouldn't do anything more than charge phone and I wouldn't be able to access content. He didn't seem to know that is true for previous system, but not for my build. Finally had to tell him I would take my chances and please just process my order. Works great on new nav and had no problem accessing content, BMW Apps, etc.
Thanks for the note. I spoke to the dealer today (Open Road BMW in NJ) and they tell me that the "Connect" model will not be available until 2014, which obviously contracts your experience AND the bulletin that was posted. I'll pester them more.

Is this a part that you can just snap into place, or does it need some type of dealer installation? This is going in a brand new 2014 640xi, October 2013 production.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgc650i View Post
Frees up the USB port for a second device. Don't use everyday, but when do it's more convenient than having to manually trade off on the single port.
It also securely holds the phone in place versus having to use a USB cable and plopping the phone in the center console or in a cupholder. No USB cable is required for the snap-in.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjur View Post
Thanks for the note. I spoke to the dealer today (Open Road BMW in NJ) and they tell me that the "Connect" model will not be available until 2014, which obviously contracts your experience AND the bulletin that was posted. I'll pester them more.

Is this a part that you can just snap into place, or does it need some type of dealer installation? This is going in a brand new 2014 640xi, October 2013 production.
Yes, it's a quick/simple snap-in and no dealer involvement required. When I called to order the parts guy didn't see it in their system until I gave him the specific part number. Once I did he said, "oh, this comes up a s new part, I need to get it in our system first." Put me on hold and when he came back he said something about seeing it available for them to order from BMW on the BMW system, but needed to get it setup in his system. Bottom line is he had to order from the central warehouse and it was delivered to dealer next day.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:53 AM

Update: Still waiting for my delivery of the 640xi (hopefully off the truck to the dealer today or tomorrow) and shared some of this information with my dealer. Parts department is still insisting that the version available now (exact part number of the "connect" model) will not give "full media access". Obviously this seems like it's not the case based on your account. If you've got media access and apps access, I can't see what else could be missing...

Not sure why the parts guys seem to be confused, but they told me that they'd let me try it out when I came in.
Retired: 2005 X3 3.0
Old 10-23-2013, 03:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: range rover
Have you guys tried video? That would be my guess on what would differentiate the media and connect models.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
Have you guys tried video? That would be my guess on what would differentiate the media and connect models.
Video is not an option, but that is due to an Apple limitation, not BMW. With the introduction of the "Lightning Connector" on the iPhone 5, Apple removed the wired video out functionality and limited it to wireless over Airplay/Apple TV. So, the Connect Snap-in is as fully functional as it can be. The Media Snap-in will have the same result where video is concerned due to the lightning connector.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:02 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Thumbs down Snap in Problems

I have an August built F30 with every available Connected drive option, and Nav and the 6AR feature, I just bought a new 308 (connect) snap-in from my dealer and it did not work - yes it charges the phone and improves the antenna connection but the Connected Drive stuff did not work. I got a message from the I-drive that an apps enabled device was not installed when using the snap-in.. I could disconnect the snap-in and I was able to use all the CD functions including Pandora and Auepo etc.. When the snap-in is connected, the only way I could connect to Pandora was through Bluetooth. Needless to say, I took back the snap-in.

I will wait for BMW to release the next snap-in version (music/media) in 1Q 2014