Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)

F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)
The all new 3rd generation 6 series coupe (F13) and convertible (F12) forum. The F06 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe forum is here

Old 10-16-2013, 11:32 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 645ci 2005 Convertibl
oh oh drove the M6!!

Holy sheet! I know I know I don't need this kind of HP if I am not gonna track it but... c'mon this car is sex on wheels. The seats, the sounds, the looks, 100 more hp, everything about it. IS there any difference between the 12 and the 13? I know there is a big difference with the 12 and 13 650 such as HP , soft close doors and shadow line which are all deal breakers for me for a 12 but do the M6 12's all have this? Thanks for the heads up.
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2013, 04:13 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Be sure to do your homework. The M6 is a huge thrill ride, but fun will come at a cost. Unless you track it, I assure you that you'll never thoroughly wring-out this car; so, make sure to research other options...and there's a bunch out there. Also, I strongly suggest leasing if you decide on pulling the trigger on the M6. That said, some of the most joyful time I've had behind the wheel was spent driving my M6 convertible. Just make certain to enter that relationship with open eyes.

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 10-17-2013, 06:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 M6 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk645 View Post
IS there any difference between the 12 and the 13? I know there is a big difference with the 12 and 13 650 such as HP , soft close doors and shadow line which are all deal breakers for me for a 12 but do the M6 12's all have this? Thanks for the heads up.
If you're talking about the F1x M6, then technically they are model years 13 and 14. Very little difference other than how they are optioned.

If you want the techno gizmo's, that's the Driver's Assistance package, which also requires the Executive Package, about $6,500 for both. The exec packages has the active seats, very uncomfortable. So unless you have to have LED's or the tech stuff, you don't want either. You can get the HUD as a stand alone option.

The F1x chassis is what makes the difference, built like a tank, and that wasn't the case with the E6x. This chassis is built to handle the power, you'll have to crash it to bend the chassis, you could do the same in the E6x just driving it hard.

The engine (S63) is a derivative on the standard 5/6 series (N63), so while there's very few parts the same in each, everything is 'in the family' and all the testing and development to create a reliable engine crosses over. Best part of the E6x was the V10, about an inch different from a race engine which unfortunately brought on some reliability issues.

Just from weight alone the F1x moves further away from a sports car, more of a luxury GT that happens to drive very well and can go like hell. From a development aspect, this is a car that was designed to drive the roads and do so more reliably. That's not to say that these aren't more expensive to maintain that your standard 6, time will tell.

To date there have been 2 issues with the F1x M6. Just after delivery of the first 13's in late 2012 there was a recall on all vehicles and the oil pump's were replaced. No further issues on this. Based on what I could find one car (M5) had an issue, they found a fault in the oil pump, and they forced the pump vendor to make a change.

The other issue is a squeaky drivers seat, supposedly a design flaw in the seat pan. Some have had the part replaced, some have had it lubed, I haven't seen this issue myself (yet).

The two big options are the Carbon Ceramic brakes and the Competition Package. The breaks are outstanding, yet I didn't spend the money as I won't track mine. They do reduce unsprung weight (30+ lbs) and make the car 'feel' better in aggressive driving, but for 9+K? The competition package includes many small changes, a bit more power (15hp), stiffer springs, reworked steering, new programs in the stability control, etc. Drive one and see if it hits your fancy, the magazine reviewers like it on the track.

The 13's came standard with 19" wheels with a 20" option (both 343M), today on the 14's there are no 19" options and the other wheels available are cast, the 343M are forged and lighter.

For all the reasons I would never own an E6x M6 the F1x has answered just about all of them. Very different cars built for very different goals.

And yes, they have soft close doors.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:06 AM

haha Leslie if you read your post it sounds like my dad 20 years ago telling my to not settle down and try some other rides cause if you marry one it is really expensive. or it was the other talk that the ride may be fun but wear a condom as you need to be careful. I will wear a condom everytime I ride the M bud.

But seriously I agree it is alot of car and I will never use all of it and for that reason would never buy a 911 turbo but man I love this car. It is a monster and just knowing it is underneath waiting may be enough. I am most likely going to get a 13 650i vert and throw a Dinan stage 2 in it and call it a day but I wonder how close the 2012 M6 pricing will be to the 2012 650 will be in around 7-8 months when they start coming off lease. That's when I plan on buying as I just put $1500 into my 645 and it is running great again.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:26 AM

wow Bjayfan that was a great answer thanks so much for spending the time. Now I am really confused and torn. I didn't really ever think about an old M6 when I bought my 645 but then again thankfully I never drove one. But there just seems to be alot more difference with this one and the new 6. Maybe it is my imagination but it just looks way more aggressive. I realize the bumpers are different visually wise but is their anything else that I am not catching that makes it looks so much more aggressive? Tail pipes I know but are the side skirts different? Lower stance?

Does Bjfan stand for what I think it does and if so, isn't that state the obvious for all of us? Or if you are a Blue Jays fan then you must be a Dave Winfield fan. Or maybe you're a trucker and you really liked the campy circa 1980 hit BJ and the Bear but that would be a tough one to admit. Either way I must know as I already have an M6/650 dilema going on I can't have this too!
Old 10-17-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Does Bjfan stand for what I think it does
lol, no.

In one respect I'm old and clueless. It comes from my first forum name when my kids were young and playing youth baseball. My son played for the Blue Jays and I've just kept the name.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
wow Bjayfan that was a great answer thanks so much for spending the time. Now I am really confused and torn. I didn't really ever think about an old M6 when I bought my 645 but then again thankfully I never drove one. But there just seems to be alot more difference with this one and the new 6. Maybe it is my imagination but it just looks way more aggressive. I realize the bumpers are different visually wise but is their anything else that I am not catching that makes it looks so much more aggressive? Tail pipes I know but are the side skirts different? Lower stance?
I tend to look at cars as the sum of three things: driving dynamics, comfort/luxury, and appearance. What's your priority and weighting for each? I'd probably say that if driving dynamics wasn't very high on your list, then a 650 might suffice, and if appearance is high on your list, then an M Sport. Both the 650 and M6 can give you all the comfort/luxury that you'd want.

Leslierc's advice is spot on though, if you add price to the equation be sure you're eyes are wide open and seeing things clearly.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:44 AM

I'd have to say comfort, then appearance then drving dynamics and maybe 40/35/25

I thought I fell in love with 991 until I drove it again and it doesn't fit me like the 6. I am 6'4 and lats are pretty big (no not fat!) so I really don't fit in any of the seats. Too bad. But the 6 is the best of both worlds and a little more luxury. If I was 20 years younger and my back was 100 years younger than it feels I would get the 991 or the Vantage but alas my body is telling me to be cautious.
Maybe if the delta between a 12 M6 and a 13 650 M sport is not too big then I'll get the M6 in 8-10 months when I plan on buying but if not I think you guys are right that I'll love the 13 650 with shadow line and soft close doors and another 50HP over the 12. I probably won't get the dinan for the 13 but I would defiantly get it for the 12 650 just to feel like I wasn't short changed like a lot of guys on this board who are none too happy with BMW for causing their resale to drop like a rock due to major changes one year into a new model.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650i
So if not an M6, what other cars would you look at?

Obviously a Panamera, what else would you choose for $125k? I agree with Appearance, Driving Dynamics and Comfort/Luxury. What re the others to consider?
Old 10-23-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Bimmer View Post
So if not an M6, what other cars would you look at?

Obviously a Panamera, what else would you choose for $125k? I agree with Appearance, Driving Dynamics and Comfort/Luxury. What re the others to consider?
My final three were the F-Type, SL63 and the M6. Yes, the SL is a good bit more expensive, maybe part of the reason I ended up in the M6, but I truly liked the M6 as much or more than the SL. The F-Type was definitely the most fun, but the least practical.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:09 PM

F type is a lot of fun to drive AND hear! V8 is intoxicating but Jags drop like a rock and you can get one for nothing in three years. Not that 6ers hold their value either I guess. I really like the Vantage but it is really tight for a big guy and the tranny is a pain in the butt. I think it is a 2012 M6 in 8-10 months or a 13 6 with sports package if it is alot cheaper than an M6. That car just fits like a glove. Never though I drive the same car back to back but if it ain't broke...
Old 10-25-2013, 06:30 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Quote:
F type is a lot of fun to drive AND hear! V8 is intoxicating but Jags drop like a rock and you can get one for nothing in three years. Not that 6ers hold their value either I guess. I really like the Vantage but it is really tight for a big guy and the tranny is a pain in the butt. I think it is a 2012 M6 in 8-10 months or a 13 6 with sports package if it is alot cheaper than an M6. That car just fits like a glove. Never though I drive the same car back to back but if it ain't broke...
I have to admit that the F-Type has my full attention. In head-to-head reviews the Boxster S has come out only slightly ahead of the F-Type in handling aspects, But, yes, that V8 sounds sick! It will definitely be on my short-list of weekend rides when the lease is up on my Boxster S.

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 10-25-2013, 02:46 PM

Mein Auto: 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslierc View Post
I have to admit that the F-Type has my full attention. In head-to-head reviews the Boxster S has come out only slightly ahead of the F-Type in handling aspects, But, yes, that V8 sounds sick! It will definitely be on my short-list of weekend rides when the lease is up on my Boxster S.
Same here. Plan to test drive the coupe when it comes out. No interest in a vert. It's on my decision list for next car.