Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 09-28-2013, 01:06 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Try starting with ground, power, antenna, ibus. If no sound than i'll have to find a 12V switched somewhere for you. Then you'll be good to go. But i really think this should do it.

DSP pin#4 TO flat pin#13 (antenna) (ON AFTERMARKET METRA HARNESS)
DSP pin#8 TO flat pin#15 (12V battery) (ON AFTERMARKET METRA HARNESS)
DSP pin#15 TO flat pin#12 (ground) (ON AFTERMARKET METRA HARNESS)

DSP pin#5 TO flat pin#9 (i-bus) (ON AFTERMARKET METRA HARNESS)
THE IBUS WIRE IS WHITE WITH YELLOW SPOTS. ITS ALSO AVAILABLE ON THE SMALLER BLACK FAKRA CONNECTOR.

Hook those 4 up to the aftermarket metra harness and plug it in to your business radio. Then plug the eonon adapter to your factory business radio and plug it into your eonon unit and check for sound.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:08 AM

sorry i re-posted it twice. haha
Old 09-28-2013, 01:24 PM

Mein Auto: 03 Z4, 04 X5
Re: successful DSP integration of aftermarket head unit!

Awesome. I'll try that this weekend although I may need to wait fit eonon you send me a replacement for their 40 pin which I am pretty sure is defective as the unit only lights up sporadically and shuts off if I touch or move the harness slightly
Old 09-29-2013, 06:56 PM

Hey Ryan. Your references to DSP pins correspond to "big amp plug" pins in your
17 pin diagram?
Old 09-30-2013, 04:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to scott740il
Mein Auto: 1999 540iT Wagon
Can someone comment on sound quality withthe work around? This is where my biggest problem lies. It sounds awful, like Ihave blown speakers.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:33 PM

scott720il, you probably need to adjust your "base" volume. You just need to play with the balance between your steering wheel control volume and the eonon volume. You'll see what i mean. The sweet spot is pretty broad so you should be able to find it. When you turn up your steering wheel control volume you'll notice the eonon number for the volume gong up as well. You just need to keep turning down the eonon unit volume and keep turning up your steering wheel control volume and IT WILL level out and sound good. You'll actually hear it getting louder as you turn up the steering controls and turn down the eonon unit.

skptc, those pins do correspond to the 17pin BUT it should be the same in the 40 pin as the 17 pin in regards to the wires going into the DSP amp. Or least im fairly certain it is If you want to double check just use a volt meter and check for 12V and ground, then the ibus line is the same in all bmw's.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott740il View Post
Can someone comment on sound quality withthe work around? This is where my biggest problem lies. It sounds awful, like Ihave blown speakers.
usually if it sounds bad like blown speakers the - and + wires are hooked up backwards .
Old 09-30-2013, 10:54 PM

these eonon units are polarity sensative. I hooked up mine to test it with an external battery and one speaker to see if it worked at first. I hooked it up backwards and blew the fuse in spare adapter, as well the transformer/coil inside blew. Just be careful before you switch things around.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:34 AM

are you referring to the wires in the harness on the unit itself, or the reverse harness going to the dsp amp in the back? I adjsted my volumes and it sounds better, but it seems to reach it's limit quickly
and sounds crappy. my best best might be to just ditch the DSP all together.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW X5
I was only talking about hooking the speakers up backwards not the main power to the unit.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:07 AM

Ill have to check it and see.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:10 PM

Well I'm throwing in the towel! I now own a EONON, made in China $400 door stop made to look just like a car stereo.

After numerous attempts and rechecks of all the connections that piece of crap won't even turn on. My first suspicion was their own harness which they promised to replace 2 weeks ago yet hadn't shipped yet.

I will start a new thread with all the cons and problems I ran into to make sure it shows up an any searches.

Next step, start a refund request and complaint through eBay.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 3.0i
I will join your thread. If you have their A0565 extension cable I will buy it from you. Once I realized I needed one I ordered it from them. The I learned their holidays basically ran from 28 Sep-8 Oct. they are shut down. Then I learned the cable I need is not in stock, anywhere. When I tried to order it on eBay, supposedly in stock, immediate delivery. I saw where my money went to the same company as when I ordered direct from Eonon. Difference is I got a really fast response offering a refund. Ebay does not allow the kind of crap Eonon pulls directly.

No company that sell internationally on the Internet should be allowed to shutdown for that long.

I am beginning to suspect that many of the Eonon offerings presented all over the Internet are just fronts for Eonon or whoever owns them to give them wider exposure. Else wise, how do I explain all the advertisements for the D5124 are exactly the same, and my orders to two companies went to just one.

Good luck getting a lucid response. I did actually get someone to tell me how to get the system to recognize the GSM microSD.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 3.0i
If Orientals thought like Northern Europeans they would include links to installation documentation. Instead of all of us in DIY land trying to guess what applies to us.

I could have fitted the D5124F and laid the A0565 harness and checked function once i pulled the radio unit in two minutes. No cutting. Function check. Works or not. Then find out how to hide the wiring. Done. Forget Navi. forget DSP. Forget CD changer. If one of the two harness looks like the supplied 17 or 40 pin it will work. Might have to add stuff, but that is gravy. Want a backup camera? Got one already? No problem. Here is how.

Mine works. My stock amp now laying where the stock GPS component close by the OEM wired place for the CD changer could have been, but never was is still plugged in to its original harness. The D5124F equalizer equalizes just fine. Thing is, when I bought my vehicle off lease I did not know what was standard or optional or installed. It really did not matter as far as getting the new unit to work. EXCEPT I needed that pesky cable. Eonon cannot explain it so I can understand it. Took me many, many, too many hours to learn the simple thing. Eonon could have said, "go find your radio in the car. Pull the connectors off. Can you fit one off the harnesses we put in the package to the back of your old radio? Yes?
Good. Plug in the D5124f. Turn your car on. Turn on the D5124f. Do you hear noise? good. Is the Eonon unit where you want it? No? Buy one of the longer cables that has the same pins as yours. We promise we will not close down for two weeks for whatever holiday you do not care about, and we promise we will always have the products we sell in stock."

That simple. There are all kinds of cables on that D5124F. I did not have a backup camera. I ordered one. I can find out how to install it in my vehicle to the Eonon unit really easily IF the vendor includes a plug that fits the Eonon. If not I will get one.

If the Eonon does not include a controller that will manage the DSP amplifier, it should be clearly stated in ALL their ads. They should not sell to vendors who do not include that info, AND they should also include links to resources where we can find out how to make it work on their website; just like for every other variation for every version of every X5 they claim it will work for. I don't have DSP. I did not know it. would not have mattered in getting the Eonon to work, or there should have been a hard wired way to make it work include as an option that was available.

I want satellite radio. Buy a SiriusXM unit? What do I need to make it work? Can I get just the receiver and antenna? Will the Sirius tuner work and display? do I need a separate Sirius tuner that is going to add even more crap to my dash? What do I connect to the D5124F? Do you see that on the Eonon site, anywhere? I have the answers. When one of you sophisticated bloggers gets the beat up on Eonon until they get with the program site up let me know. Otherwise, pm me. I did get some responses from Eonon. I have learned to interpret some of their, must be Google translations.

Another recommendation to Eonon with a question: How many D5124F units have you sold in North America? If more than four(4) you need to hire/arrange for/bribe/cajole/impress upon a native North American English speaker to review anything you intend to convey/show/send to any North American Native English speaker. I include Canadians who are not Québécois(e), And anyone else who grew up in an environment where they did not hear or speak American English every day before they were eight years old. That includes any immigrant in the aforementioned age group to anywhere in North America. I am sorry I have to exclude other Commonwealth countries, especially Brits, because the language usage is enough different to be unintelligible to North Americans at times, and vice versa.

I wonder if Dell ever learned that putting so much of their tech support in India cost them millions in sales. I can tell you that is true from personal experience from once upon a day when I used to buy them in quantity. Of course, they then made sure that there was a North American Native English speaker, Chebona Bula, being one of them, who could make sure we got the technical support we needed. Wonder where Eonon can find someone who understands and can effectively communicate with the people they take money from.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:49 PM

Ryan, the number 5 wire in my big amp plug is Brown, not white with yellow

Here are the colors
4 white thin gauge f
5 Brown medium.gauge
8 red and green, thicker gauge
12 Brown, thicker gauge
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1381949282305.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	402509   Click image for larger version

Name:	1381949326639.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	402510   Click image for larger version

Name:	1381949383498.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	402511  
Old 10-17-2013, 01:03 PM

Ryan, sorry to pester you but I'm trying to make sure I have the right connections before making them. So from the x5 radio wiring diagram I get on the big amp plug:

4- white, amp trigger write and antenna trigger wire, to be connected to 13 on the aftermarket harness
5- Brown, medium gauge, (ground?) To 9
8- red and green, constant battery power to 15...
12-Brown, thicker gauge, ground, to connect to 15.

Does this look right?
Old 10-18-2013, 03:08 PM

sorry skptc i'm in hawaii right now and there's crap wifi so i'll try and look up some info when i get a chance. i'm here for another week still.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:28 PM

Hawaii... jeesh...

Jk... no worries, enjoy
Old 10-23-2013, 01:39 PM

Ryan, Alright so I decided to go for it and made the connections you suggested but the factory radio does not turn on and I'm still getting no sound...
Old 11-03-2013, 01:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 530I Sport
I hear the small pros of the Eonon and the huge amount of negatives of them. All I want is a good headunit and it seems the safest bet is to get my speakers rewired and buy the HU I want.

jelizondo_20
1998 BMW 320i
Old 09-27-2014, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 540i
Hey Ryan I would love to know how you did the integration on your head unit. Could you help me out? I have an e39 with factory nav and want to do the same thing you did. What does the harness look like that I need to use and could you give me some steps to how this is done? I am not very tech savvy, but I am determined to get this done. I also have the nav computer and dsp amp and radio and cd changer in the back left side of trunk. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X5
Question

Hi, I have the navigation head unit and am trying to do the same thing. I have one question. I have one of the android systems with comes with the cable to go from the front to the back and plugs in the cable that goes into the radio. At this point I'm not getting sound which is obvious cause the amp is off? Do I just need to run the wires as diagram to the dsp amp or do I need to have the radio unit still powered and connected to get the amp to come on or seeing my new stereo had canbus will it be able to tell the amp to turn on? Also if I use the method you sugest it sounds like I wont have a volume control? Or will the new stereo seeing it has canbus be able to control the volume also? Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. I prefer to use the dsp amp if possble but if its limited I'm just going to replace the amp with a aftermarket. Here is the stereo I purchased.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191234627493...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 10-16-2014, 12:05 PM

Your head unit will be able to control the volume from the stock amp. You can balance it out between your steering wheel volume and the head unit volume to get a good level. Here's MY video that I did after I installed mine. The wires look alot more intimidating than it actually is. I had pulled everything out to find a way to run the radio plug up front. Since the video I ran as much of the stock radio harness as I could up past the back seats then cut it off and had to extend all the wires so it go up under the dash and out the top of the dash so the new head unit can plug in. It's all about the canbus on these things. That's the use of the secondary harness. It sends receives the signal from the amp on the stock BMW canbus and sends it back keeping the digital signal open thus keeping the amp on all the while you're running the stock harness to the new head unit which will then output the analog signal and you'll have sound. Here's the link to my video.