Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 10-23-2013, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto: X5 3.0
Automatic headlights will not turn on in the dark (2005 X5 3.0)

My automatic headlights stopped turning on in the dark and now I have to manually turn them on. If the lights do automatically come on when I start the car, they will eventually shut off after a few seconds or minutes. Has anyone had this problem or know how to fix it?

Though it hasn't rained here lately, I also believe the windshield rain sensor is not working and I believe the 2 problems are related.

Is it just a matter of replacing the rain/light sensor? Can I do it myself? http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=61&fg=15&hl=1_a_
Advertisement
Old 10-24-2013, 03:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
The auto headlights and rain sensor do receive the same data and work from the info sent by the sensor.

As far as you doing it yourself...only you can answer that question. The sensor is mounted in the area surrounded by the base of the rear view mirror covers.

Would you be disappointed if you replaced the sensor and it didn't fix the problem? Do you have diagnostic software/hardware that will allow you to read BMW proprietary codes? If so, that would help in finding the culprit instead of guessing.
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg
Old 10-24-2013, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: 03 BMW X5
We had the same problem when we had our windshield replaced about a month ago, and we tried to reinitialize the two sensors to the computer again through the ignition, but BMW says some cars are stubborn and it won't work, so then we have to have BMW plug it in to their programmer and do it. Where yours just stopped working, I don't know what would cause that. You could try to re initialize it yourself, I think it was turn your key to the first click, then turn the wiper onto off, then wait ten seconds, then turn ignition further without the car starting and turn the wiper to the auto wipers, which is turning the dial upward, then it is supposed to be initialized. I was reading in another post about how sometimes the computer will stop responding to sensors on occasions for no reason, good luck.