Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '05 745i / '10 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjohn24 View Post

Anyway you don't need to polish the ends or do anything fancy like that, it's called POF or plastic optical fibre, it has a CSA (cross sectional area) approximately 100 times bigger than glass fibre optic cable and so they are not as critical which is great news! Got about 2.5 - 3 meters left over and 8 ends so will be making up some short fibres to retrofit the headset module and DAB tuner.

Stuart
I looked at fabricating my own fiber optic cables, but then saw the pricing for the special tooling from BMW (83 30 0 494 158 Crimping set, USD$1140) and concluded the cut and crimp must be critical for such precise tooling.
Any MOST errors logged that could be attributted to the hand cut POF? I seem to recall the system was capable of logging errors due to insufficient illumination (too much attenuation).

E65/E66 Parts for Sale:
Alpina Type 743 Front Spoiler complete retrofit kit (new in box) $1200
71 60 6 770 096 WARNING TRIANGLE WITHOUT CONTAINER $40
51 16 7 028 437 & 438 MIRROR GLASS HEATED PLANE LEFT & RIGHT, ELECTROCHROM
Old 10-22-2013, 04:08 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E65 745i
Rear Entertainment Retrofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippjd View Post
I looked at fabricating my own fiber optic cables, but then saw the pricing for the special tooling from BMW (83 30 0 494 158 Crimping set, USD$1140) and concluded the cut and crimp must be critical for such precise tooling.
Any MOST errors logged that could be attributted to the hand cut POF? I seem to recall the system was capable of logging errors due to insufficient illumination (too much attenuation).
Hi,

As I understand the gold coloured ends that I used are intended to be be crimped to the POF. I read somewhere (apologies, I have been looking for a while this evening but have been unable to find reference to it) that the gold ends are crimped with a 4 point tool.

The ends can be cut/trimmed with a sharp blade. If required the ends can be polished with fine sandpaper but it's not critical.

The newer OEM fibres I have seen have translucent plastic ends, these are laser welded to the inner sheath of the POF, again just cut and polished if required.

I have had the rear entertainment fitted now for 4-5 months, I have not seen any errors when diagnosing with INPA and the MOST system works perfectly fine.

I would recommend giving it a go, considering the tooling is referred to as 'crimp' I imagine it's a purpose designed 4 point crimp tool with custom turret locators for the POF ends and intended for mass producing terminations, nothing that cant be replicated with a little time and effort without the correct tooling.

We use Daniels DMC 4 point crimp tools at my workplace, I imagine it's based on this method.

Stuart

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by stuartjohn24; 10-22-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:25 PM

Mein Auto: '05 745i / '10 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjohn24 View Post
I have had the rear entertainment fitted now for 4-5 months, I have not seen any errors when diagnosing with INPA and the MOST system works perfectly fine.

I would recommend giving it a go, considering the tooling is referred to as 'crimp' I imagine it's a purpose designed 4 point crimp tool with custom turret locators for the POF ends and intended for mass producing terminations, nothing that cant be replicated with a little time and effort without the correct tooling.

We use Daniels DMC 4 point crimp tools at my workplace, I imagine it's based on this method.

Stuart

That is encouraging to hear there have been no errors.

I believe you are correct about the tool being a 4 point crimp tool with custom turret locators. There are a couple documents in Group 61 of TIS which overview the tool usage. Note the comment about replacing the cutting blade after every cut!

The stripping replacement blade is not cheap:
83 30 0 494 320 Replacement stripping blade, list USD$136

This appears to be the manufacture: http://www.wezag.de/content/view/20/lang,en_US/
And their PDF mentions it being a 4 point crimp tool.

E65/E66 Parts for Sale:
Alpina Type 743 Front Spoiler complete retrofit kit (new in box) $1200
71 60 6 770 096 WARNING TRIANGLE WITHOUT CONTAINER $40
51 16 7 028 437 & 438 MIRROR GLASS HEATED PLANE LEFT & RIGHT, ELECTROCHROM
Old 10-25-2013, 12:33 AM

Rear Entertainment Retrofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippjd View Post
Note the comment about replacing the cutting blade after every cut!
That's correct! I have fitted optical proximity sensors to some manufacturing equipment in the past, the sensor used two optical fibres.

The sensors were manufactured by keyence, they came with a couple of these cutters that were one use only. If you look on eBay some people in the US are selling them.

Would definitely be a cheaper option, I can't remember the exact size of the entry for the cutters, be worth checking the most fibres fit first! I'm sure they do but it was some years ago I used them!

Great find by the way, thanks for posting.

Stuart

Old 10-26-2013, 06:15 AM

Mein Auto: 730d
Great to see such professional n nice work
Can anybody advise me thst my DVD changer has gone out of order for year 2004 as rear entertainment us genuinely there
Is there any compatible DVD changer which can be fit in boot to acquits te Dvd playing
Also when v insert DVD v can see it only on rear screen or front as well
Furthermore my car shows an option of blutooth in front screen but my phone doesn't connect with it, is there any kit missing
Also in the sim slot my one sim works but none other sim gets activated. Can anybody advise on these three issues
Old 12-19-2013, 09:03 AM

TV Antenna Upgrade + Facelift MMIF

Hi all,

Though I would give an update to the install and what Ihave been doing since the original retrofit I started earlier in the year.

The system has been working great since the install, definitely keeps the kids happy so thats the main thing!

In my original install I replaced the video module for the RES version (VM5 Drive) and installed the MMIF and CIDF monitor to the armrest.

There are still a few more bits to do, I still need to fit the headset module, audio panel in rear arm-rest, all associated wiring, new diversity amplifier and cable for extra TV antenna feed etc...

Some of this I will cover in this post.

Since the original install I have been looking for a facelift MMIF module such that the Idrive interface is the same as the facelift MMI I have already fitted.

Luckily I picked one up from a seller in latvia for £50, which was pretty cheap! The facelift ones can be easily identified by an additional small screw on the casting side near the black interface connector.

I managed to get an OEM bracket for the MMIF (this cannot be bought separately from the the lower armrest!) and the rear armrest trim/cover for the MMIF which has different mounting lugs for the MMIF version.

I was worried the facelift MMIF module would not work or display correctly because there is a facelift rear monitor CIDF too, luckily though it worked perfectly!

The MENU and multifunction button now work on the rear controller as expected.

Again, Like the MMIGT, the VO has to be dummy edited to post March 05 to code the facelift MMIF.

Video Module Diversity Antenna:

The digital video module for RES requires three antenna inputs instead of the two on the standard hybrid digital tuner. The three antennas improve reception so rear passengers (or front if you code VIM ) can watch TV while moving.

Digital Hybrid Tuner for NON RES Vehicles:

Digital Hybrid Tuner for RES Vehicles:

My original analogue tuner had two antennas so upgrading to the standard hybrid tuner was not an issue, however since putting the RES hybrid tuner in with only two antennas connected the reception is poor and cuts in and out every few seconds.

Luckily an RES diversity amplifier finally came up on eBay after a 6 month wait! (Dealer wanted £230 for it new!) it has the extra TV antenna feed for the RES video module.

Here it is compared to my old one, which was the standard TV version, its located in the passenger C pillar behind the radio tuner (drivers side for LHD).

I made up a new antenna cable, its simply RG58 cable with a Z coded FAKRA connector on each end:

Completed:

BTW, BMW dont sell these aymore, if anyone needs any I can make them up for you, just specify the length and PM me, this one was 1750mm long.

And fitted:

I will update shortly with headset interface install and wiring.

Stuart
Old 01-04-2014, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: 745i
Wow thats amazing work!
Old 05-15-2014, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: 750LI
Amazing work man!! Very clean install! Im sure that your daughter is very proud of you!
Old 08-14-2014, 12:48 PM
2007 ALPINA B7

Mein Auto: 2007 ALPINA B7
That amazing
good work!

2007 BMW X5 4.8 - Bronze
spark plugs, belts, airbag shocks, tail light gasket, tail light r&r water damage, battery, recirc filter cabin filter
2002 BMW 745i - Blue
weephole coolant pipe, timeing rails, timing gaskets, valve covers gasket, cpssensor, waterpump, spark plugs, belts, tensioners, flex disc, dif change, brakes, halos, HID, lense reconditioning, recirc filter, cabin filters
Old 08-29-2014, 08:40 AM

Mein Auto: x6m
Iv'e exhausted myself searching and I think Staurt can answer my question. I have an X6M and the cable going into the diversity antenna (which is located in at the top of the rear hatch) has been damaged and I need to replace just the FAKRA connector and a couple inches of the cable. There is nothing anywhere I can find that gives a part number or describes what type of cable this is. I looks the same as the RG58 above. Any help with that and the ability to just splice a new connector and cable section. My only other option I know of is having the dealer replace the entire cable to wherever it goes which could be a lot of labor and down time. Thank you. John
Old 08-29-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailwinds View Post
Iv'e exhausted myself searching and I think Staurt can answer my question. I have an X6M and the cable going into the diversity antenna (which is located in at the top of the rear hatch) has been damaged and I need to replace just the FAKRA connector and a couple inches of the cable. There is nothing anywhere I can find that gives a part number or describes what type of cable this is. I looks the same as the RG58 above. Any help with that and the ability to just splice a new connector and cable section. My only other option I know of is having the dealer replace the entire cable to wherever it goes which could be a lot of labor and down time. Thank you. John
Hi,

Yep it will be a coaxial cable, more than likely RG174 which is smaller diameter than RG58 that I used, it's easier to make off FAKRA connectors with RG58 as it's about twice the size!

I would buy a cheap cable from eBay that's the correct length and run it to where it needs to go.

Stuart

Old 08-29-2014, 10:44 AM

Thank you Stuart! How do I know if it's RG174? I have no idea where it goes or how long it needs to be hence the desire to splice in for the last maybe 3" that needs replacing.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailwinds View Post
Thank you Stuart! How do I know if it's RG174? I have no idea where it goes or how long it needs to be hence the desire to splice in for the last maybe 3" that needs replacing.
Doing more research I found the cable to be the exact size for RG174. Connector is Fakra A.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:30 AM

Splicing the cable may make it lossy as the cable is impedance matched.

Post a photo I can find out what it's for.

You may be better off buying a FAKRA Z, the Z is universal and there should be more choice about and cheaper in most cases.

Stuart

Old 09-02-2014, 05:37 PM

]It's on the Right side and has the Blue/Pink Z connector temporarily on it. I think I will splice a short section on just to see if it works since it involves so much less work. The wire tie bending the coax is there because that is what it takes to get some reception at this point...coax damaged.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	462328

Last edited by tailwinds; 09-02-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:32 PM

Mein Auto: '95 840Ci, '05 745Li
That should run back to the digital (IBOC) tuner. I would go with Stuart's suggestion to replace the whole cable. It should be a fairly short run.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:46 AM

Thanks guys for the suggestion and sure it's sound advice. Guess I need to find this "IBOC" and see if it's something I can handle.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:34 AM

Send a message via MSN to 2FASTFURIOUS
Mein Auto: '03 745LI
hi Stuart, really admiring your retrofits. I have a question, my 2003 e66 745 has RES, and original TV function but did not have navigation. Last year i added navigation but there was some color fading in some colors as i also posted a topic about that.http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...762&highlight=
Since i see you have res, navigation and Tv 3 of them all with no problems i am just thinking of if there is a problem in my set-up. My car has analogue Tv module. Since you have digital one is that be causing a problem? Also about the video module this is mine,[IMG][/IMG] may there be any newer versions of that module that (like fbas) that can solve the problem.
My second question is, i updated the front mmi with facelift one. For the rear, do i need just the facelift video module for rear screen, like this or do i have to change the rear screen to facelift one also. Is there any resolution differences between them? This is what i have currently.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 2FASTFURIOUS; 09-06-2014 at 02:37 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2FASTFURIOUS View Post
hi Stuart, really admiring your retrofits. I have a question, my 2003 e66 745 has RES, and original TV function but did not have navigation. Last year i added navigation but there was some color fading in some colors as i also posted a topic about that.http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...762&highlight=
Since i see you have res, navigation and Tv 3 of them all with no problems i am just thinking of if there is a problem in my set-up. My car has analogue Tv module. Since you have digital one is that be causing a problem? Also about the video module this is mine,[IMG][/IMG] may there be any newer versions of that module that (like fbas) that can solve the problem.
My second question is, i updated the front mmi with facelift one. For the rear, do i need just the facelift video module for rear screen, like this or do i have to change the rear screen to facelift one also. Is there any resolution differences between them? This is what i have currently.
Thanks in advance.
Thanks for your compliments!

Yes I have NAVI03 with hybrid digital RES tuner with the RES obviously.

I have read your issues on your other thread, looks interesting!

The wiring between the RES and non RES is very different and I'm wondering if something has got mixed up somewhere.

To summarise, if you just have NAV then the RGB outputs directly to the MMI

If you have NAV and TV but NO RES then you need a hybrid FBAS tuner (FBAS means composite video) the TV tuner connects to the NAV using a composite video input.

When you NAV and TV WITH RES then it's a bit different!

The NAV no longer wires directly to the MMI, it must wire to the hybrid TV tuner with RES (easily identifiable because it has three antenna sockets like the one you pictured)

The RES TV tuner is also a video switch, it has two RGB outputs one for the front MMI and one for the rear MMIF.

Therefore the single RGB output from the NAV can be shown on both front and rear screen and different sources can be shown on the front and rear, like NAV front, TV or DVD at the rear.

With RES you cannot however have TV/DVD up front with NAV in the split screen, the RES TV module cannot merge two RGB sources together into the extra wide video signal that the MMI accepts (this is possible with no RES, the NAV has a powerful video processor for this purpose).

I'm guessing it's not quite wires up right, you have a grounding issue or the NAVI03 is faulty.

What's the video like from the TV tuner source?

To clarify your other questions, the facelift MMIF module is compatible with the pre facelift rear display, there is no resolution change. you will also need an extra antenna feed for your hybrid tuner, I have explained this in a previous post.

Just clarify what your mechanic has done and what wiring diagrams he has been following.

Regard

Stuart

Old 09-07-2014, 03:43 AM

Send a message via MSN to 2FASTFURIOUS
Mein Auto: '03 745LI
Stuart,

Thank you for your kind informative reply. To clarfiy things better and identify the problem, the picture i posted as my video module, was not MY VIDEO MODULE, it is my bad. It was my mechanic's spare part and when we connected that, we had defintely better visual even tough not sharp clear. So i took a photo of the module's for checking out the ebay but posted here wrongly. (I am now searching that module tough). As my mechanic said, he connected the NAV to TV module according the original schematics as you said,so that should be simple. As you pointed out, there may be a grounding issue, or nav failure (i hope not). The Tv tuner visual is very bad due to reception (living in ext urban), but in DVD the visual is also not crystal clear, especially when the screen goes black you can see white shades all over. Here is when TV selected,
When checking for DVD,

And this is during playing an original DVD disc.

As you see there are many thin white lines through the screen when it goes black and they are very upsetting. Is this normal or can this be related with the NAV issue? how can i check for grounding in a simple way?

And for TV reception also, what do you advise for diversity unit, the same as yours?

Regards,

Selmi