Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: was 530d, is X5d 2011
State Farm vs. Liberty Mutual

Hi,

I have insurance for my X5 with State Farm. They are charging me around $160 per month. I got an offer from Liberty Mutual for $106 per month.

The coverage / limits seem to be similar to State Farm. What else should I take into consideration?

Should I share the offer with State Farm agent and ask them for a discount?

Thanks for any advice.

WTB: spare tire kit
Advertisement
Old 10-18-2013, 10:15 PM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI

Both are top notch and have fantastic service. Liberty offers an OEM part policy and State Farm is also top notch when it comes to fixing the car correctly. Just be aware that reman / recon / recycled is still an OE part.
Most other carriers are more apt to use aftermarket. Read the policies and focus on part type before you sign up.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 10-19-2013, 10:06 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Also compare the comprehensive (glass, fire) coverages... a zero deductible glass policy will cost more.

Most definitely give yor SF rep a call and see what they can do- why not?
Old 10-19-2013, 05:36 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 528i and 2012 X5

Keep in mind each state have there own method of screwing there customers here in California it's zip code and age, in my case it only costs me less than 50$ a month for 2012 and I don't cheap out on coverage.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:38 PM

Thanks guys. I decided to go to LM and even got an additional discount since my employer is in some kind of discount program with LM.

Interesting thing that the agent claimed that the full coverage does not extend to a rental car.

"When renting a vehicle your personal lines insurance policy will not cover damage to the vehicle because the vehicle is already under a commercial lines policy and therefore, you would not be able to use your personal lines insurance to cover damage. This is why the rental company offers their own accidental premium to cover the car."

Even when I found information on LM website that it does extend, he said the wording is ambiguous and in his and his manager opinion it does not. The next day he called and confirmed that he was wrong...

However, what is not covered is loss of revenue the rental company experiences while their rental car is being repaired. LM does not offer any coverage / product for this.

I think I had an insurance coverage for this with State Farm. Do you know where to buy it and avoid buying at rental company?

thanks

Old 10-26-2013, 03:56 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Why would you buy this?

First, you cannot buy "just loss of use coverage" from the rental company, so you will wind up with buying full coverage, and being double covered.

Most importantly, they cannot just claim 'the car was in the show 10 days and we make $50 a day". they need to prove that not having THAT ONE CAR did in fact cause them to lose 10 days...ie 'they were fully booked every day'

IMO

How many rental cars accidents have youi had in yoiur life? Use that to determine if you need to buy this coverage.....
Old 10-26-2013, 05:30 PM

I agree that can't be a straightforward process for them to claim 10x$50. However, I used to travel a lot and would pay $5-10/month for that kind of coverage. If it is not available as a separate product, I would not buy full coverage at the counter to be double covered.

Another thing is to check whether e.g. VISA covers that kind of situation.

thanks

Old 10-26-2013, 05:48 PM

Mein Auto: 335D

Look to see if your credit card will cover loss of use. My Amex does, my personal auto insurance covers the rest.