Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i
My 2011 X5 50i has the same issue. Just make an appointment to the dealer next Saturday. Hope it could be completely solved. I only hear the squeaky noise under low speed (< 35mph)
Old 10-25-2013, 08:09 PM

I took my car back from dealer this week. They said they adjusted the lower tailgate latch.... but.... the noise remains. After two days driving, it becomes even worse.

Any ideas how to fix it? I wonder if I can fix that by myself.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5
I've made three different adjustments on mine which definitely helped with the rattles and creaks... and I can't believe I'm even saying this about a $60k+ car, but there it is.

1. As was mentioned in this post, the rear seats can rattle when in the up position and latched. The issue is the pressure on the latch isn't enough so it allows the seat itself to move on the latch which causes the noise. A band-aid fix is to wrap the latch with something so it's not metal on metal, such as electric tape, etc. I say band-aid because it's not really a proper fix. I wrapped mine with electric tape and was too lazy to dig behind the panel to see if there is an actual adjustment for the latch, which I assume there should be. An easy test to see if your rear seat(s) are making noise (mine was just the driver side) is to fold them down and then drive around. If the noise goes away you know where it's coming from.

2. The latch for the rear hatch (upper) itself has an adjustment on the lower tailgate. There are two bolts holding the latch so I loosened them a little and pushed the latch as far inward (towards the inside of the car) as possible then re-tightened. This puts more pressure on the hatch when it's closed and keeps it from rattling. This worked very well in my case but may also have worked better because of the number 3 adjustment which I'll describe next. A note on this one, the bracket for the latch has two empty holes as well which looks like there are two bolts missing. I'm not sure if it was intentional but I've read other people say theirs are found this way as well. I'm not sure if you can add two additional bolts or not and I always wondered if the two existing ones are enough to hold the latch from moving back over time. I guess we'll see.

3. This third adjustment I found on another forum. It involves backing out two rubber stops from the pillar/frame that the hatch rests on. The idea here is to put pressure on the hatch when closed thus not allowing it to rattle around. It definitely helped on mine. Here is the link to the post and the procedure is an attached PDF. http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...tml#post778376

Also, another note is that making the rear hatch adjustments will affect how the hatch lines up with the rear panels of the car. In my case when the hatch was closed it was obvious that it should be a little tighter as the hatch stuck out a little further then the rear-quarter panels and wasn't lining up like a BMW should. After the adjustments everything lines up properly now and when I close the hatch it does a solid thunk where before the whole thing rattled to a stop. I still do have a little bit of creak here and there but it's SO much better than it was before.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:55 PM

Thank you for sharing your experience, rpoitras.

For #2, have you tried to adjust two U shape latches on the lower tailgate? I also read from other forums that putting some electric tapes might help which unfortunately doesn't work in my case. Or you just adjust the latch in the middle of the lower tailgate?
Old 10-26-2013, 10:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5
No I didn't touch the latches on the lower tailgate at all. I think tightening up the hatch also puts pressure on the lower part as well so in my case it works. I've noticed that my lower portion is pretty tight anyway because if I don't close it with a fair amount of force it registers as not closed by the car and won't allow the upper hatch to close until I firmly close the lower portion.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i MSport, 2011 X5
This is BS for a $68K car
Old 01-23-2014, 11:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E83 X3 and E70 X5
I solved mine by wrapping a short-length Velcro (the fuzzy/hairy part) around the C-shape latch for the rear seat (fold down the rear seat and the C-shaped thing is right there). We wrap it where we can see some paint rub-off spots. And do this again every few months lol.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx View Post
I solved mine by wrapping a short-length Velcro (the fuzzy/hairy part) around the C-shape latch for the rear seat (fold down the rear seat and the C-shaped thing is right there). We wrap it where we can see some paint rub-off spots. And do this again every few months lol.
After reading your post, I put the rear seats down. I still hear creaking. Therefore, my issue is not the seats but definitely the tail gate
Old 01-26-2014, 03:30 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
try driving with the tailgate open- that can tell you if it is in the pillars or a hatch alignment/latching force issue. You dont need to drive 10 miles, just pick those maneuvers that you know will cause the noise...
Old 01-26-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
try driving with the tailgate open- that can tell you if it is in the pillars or a hatch alignment/latching force issue. You dont need to drive 10 miles, just pick those maneuvers that you know will cause the noise...
Good plan