Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 05-30-2013, 11:45 PM

Mein Auto: 525i
Refinished my OEM bbs style 42 updated 06-17

when i purchased the car back in december it came with 17" OEM BBS style 42, but i soon swapped it out for black 19" linea corse. swapped it out and added some spacers to make the rims fit.

after a handful of months i started collecting some curb rashes from my poor driving in the beginning and every time i hit a bad bump my rear fender would rub at the rims so now you can start seeing the rim wear down to the metal. so instead of getting them fixed i decided to start refinishing my oem bbs. ive always liked them but they came with tons of curb rashes.

here is a picture of it when i had the oem bbs on

here is a picture when i first had my linea corse put on

i liked the LC's on cause it looked more aggressive with the spacers and the whole black on black look. and i know its people's preference on whether 19's are too big for our e34.

decided i wanted to go back to my style 42's so right now i'm in the process of refinishing them, i want to go with the polished lip and gold face. so far i only got to ripping apart the face from the barrel which was super easy with a torque gun.

was surprisingly able to get rid of all the curb rashes on all 4 rims but one small portion which had a deep gash. didnt want to keep sanding down the rim and ruin the rim. you'll be able to see it in the pictures

small portion i wasnt able to get out

sample of a small area i focused on for a couple mins to see how it would look like. got down to wet sanding with 600 grit sand paper. didnt have 1000 and 2000 grit so wasnt able to really see how it would look fully sanded.

06/02 UPDATE was able to get to the rims this weekend. used aircraft paint remover, brushed it on and let it sit for about 10mins. it worked really well. you can instantly see the clear coat peeling off.

be sure to put on a thick coat or else there will be portions that doesn't peel off all the way which means you have to apply another coat or sand it off.

i was able to sand and polish one barrel completely cause i couldn't wait and wanted to see what it was going to look like. i used 60 grit for the curb rashes then worked my from 400 grit to wet sand of 600, 1000, & 2000.

if you take your sweet time you can get the rims to look perfect and look professionally done. i did not put in that much time to sand everything so after i polished it with mothers mag polish there is certain areas you can see streaks but i don't care. you really have to be up close to see it and the rims aren't worth my time to make them look perfect. overall i like how the rims came out.

first had to coat the faces with black plasti dip, then followed by the metallic gold plasti dip

overall i was happy with the outcome but they were no where near to being perfect if i took the time to do them. with the mesh in the face i didn't have enough gold to coat it solid black. in the sun its looks amazing. in the shade its looks alright. front face is solid gold and side of the face is gold black due to not having enough gold plasti dip to coat it completely.

here are some photos of the wheels on the car. would look a lot nicer if i was on coilovers vs springs. i'm happy how they look until i get bored that is (fyi car got the full works prior to the photos, wash, clay, polish, removing swirls etc.)

i fell really in love when i saw the rolling shot

Last edited by filnguyen; 06-18-2013 at 02:14 AM. Reason: update
Advertisement
Old 05-31-2013, 07:22 AM
Russell

Mein Auto: 1995 525iA
You got more time and patience than I do at this point in my life. At one time I would do this. Not enough patience anymore. Good luck.

1995 525i auto, 1/95 build, EAT chip, abt 234K miles, , HID, Lumbar, Oxford Green/Parchment, rebuilt trany @ 208K
Old 05-31-2013, 09:35 AM
Humble E34 lover

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Looking forward to seeing the results

I have always loved the style 42s However, I too don't care to have to clean all of those cracks and crevasses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 05-31-2013, 10:34 AM

Hahaha when im into something im the kind of person that wanted it done yesterday. Its a little side project going to try and finish everything I want to get done before mid June cause I want to take it up to lake tahoe for the weekend. Should he a beautiful drive.

I'll be sure to post updates. Refinishing the wheels aren't to bad. It's the damn clear cost that is going to take a lot of my time.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1992 525it /2004 ML350
They are looking good Man, I need to do my BBS rims again.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:56 AM

car driver - do them again? yeah this will be my first and last time i'm doing this unless its on a pair of expensive rims.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:24 PM

updated
Old 06-04-2013, 06:47 PM

Mein Auto: 93 525i
those black rims look so sick.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:14 PM

Thanks I like them too but my fender rubs on the rims and they aren't worth getting different size spacers to make it work. Going to trash them once my bbs are done. Plus tires are about to be bald by end of simmer.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:09 PM

quick update on the wheels. finally polished all of lips and prepped the faces to get ready for paint tomorrow. hopefully i don't have a difficult time with the meshes in the style 42's and they come out clean. hopefully get put back together and mount all the tires back on friday which is my next day off.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:23 AM

updated
Old 06-18-2013, 04:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1992 525it /2004 ML350
Quote:
Originally Posted by filnguyen View Post
car driver - do them again? yeah this will be my first and last time i'm doing this unless its on a pair of expensive rims.
Fortunately, mine are a bit more simple to do than the job you had to do I just need to get hold of some stock rims to throw on there while I work on the BBS.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarDriver View Post
Fortunately, mine are a bit more simple to do than the job you had to do I just need to get hold of some stock rims to throw on there while I work on the BBS.
Haha lucky you! I went through hell or my first experience on redoing my wheels
Old 06-18-2013, 06:31 AM
Humble E34 lover

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Looks very nice

In the one pic, why is the high beam headlight on but not the low beam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 06-18-2013, 09:48 AM

None of the lights are on. Low beam housing is painted black. Havent gotten a chance to do high beam yet cause its a bit harder to do.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:46 AM

Mein Auto: 1 series
Hi, I just had to register to tell you how much I like those wheels and to ask you a few pointers. I have bought a staggered set of 42s (came from a E46) that need some care (they have some curb rash and some corrosion under the clear coat) and I'd like to do it by myself - as soon as I have the time.

Here are my questions, it'd be a huge help if you replied.
Did you have to heat the bolts to undo them, as many say? did you break any? where did you get replacements for the screws?
-Was it necessary to bang on the centers to make them come off or did they came off easily?
-Is it possible to separate the centers and the barrels with the valve still on?
-What torque did you use for the bolts? did you use any Loctite (blue one perhaps)?
-Did you apply any clear coat on the lips? how do you plan on keeping them shiny and corrosion-free?

Thanks a bunch in advance and congrats again for your wheels. I'm debating if I should go for gold centers like yours, or gunmetal, or just plain silver. I have a Le Mans blue car FWIW.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:55 PM

When I first looked up on how to take them apart, I saw that many people heat it up but I didn't bother, my friends at a speed shop just took me to take a torque gun. I had no problem at all removing the bolts from all 4 wheels. I did not break any so I never had to order any but if you did im sure you can just order some through bbs.

As for the center 2 of the faces just came off. The ones that were a big stuck, I just gave them a little love tap with a piece of wood and hammer and it popped off

You will be able to keep the valve stem on but they are cheap to replace and easier to restore without anything being in your way. If you're on a budget then just leave it. You can even leave the tires the wheels. Just relieve the air to e safe. But tires
Can stay on cause the barrel is one piece.

If you plan on repairing yourself make sure you set time aside to do this and do not rush. You will get to a point where you get frustrated and want to finish it. Which was what happened to me. Mine came out nice but no where ear perfect. Gold plasti dip was my cheap way of painting my rims.

As for you're I suggest using a torque ratchet to properly reinstall the face to the barrel. I believe it was 20 but you should google it to make sure. I'm actually bored of my rims looks nice but I want to go bigger is more aggressive so I will be taking these off and ripping off the face and peeling the gold and selling it as
Old 10-27-2013, 12:23 AM

Mein Auto: 1 series
Hi filnguyen , thanks a bunch for your tips. You make it sound like the mechanical part of the job is easier than I thought. I plan on having the centers powder coated: not sure about the color: I've been tempted by white lately.
Thanks again.