Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 10-25-2013, 09:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1991 bmw 525i 5 speed
Cooling fan flex and wobble? Please help

Hey guys I have a 95 540i/6. Let me start out by saying I have replaced the water pump, radiator, coolant Expansion tank, coolant leven sensor and hoses, fan blade basically the whole coolant system! A few days ago my fan exploded, 4 blades broke off didn't do much damages at all luckily lol but I replaced the fan and the pully, when the fan broke. When the car is cold the fan and the clutch is stiff no wobble but as soon as the car has been running the the clutch and fan seem to wobble and when you start the car up and give it a little gas the fan will flex and wobble like the fan blades are going to break! So I ordered at new fan clutch do you think the fan clutch is about shot? Will this fix my problem?

Sent from my LT28at using BimmerApp mobile app
Ads by Google
Old 10-25-2013, 11:06 PM

Re: Cooling fan flex and wobble? Please help

When I start my car up when the car hasn't been running in hours and rev the engine the fan turns faster as I increase the rpms! Should the fan stay at the same speed as I rev up the car or should the fan spin faster? The more I increase the rpms the faster the fan will turn and the fan will flex and wobble

Old 10-26-2013, 12:33 AM

At idle you can not stop the fan with a rolled up news paper it will turn with the speed of the engine the higher the rpm the faster the fan will go is this normal?

Old 10-26-2013, 07:29 AM
Nothin like an E34

Mein Auto: 95 540i B/B
Yes it should move faster with higher RPM. What brand fan? something must be wrong with the pulley even though it has been replaced, did you torque it properly?

Gotta love an E34!!
If you want to get junkyard parts remember one thing, if it was wrecked you know it was running/driving. You may not know how well, but it was.

READ THE STICKIES AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE!!

STOMP TEST

READ ME IM THE BIBLE

FAN CLUTCH

LOCKS

ANGEL EYES
Old 10-26-2013, 09:28 AM

Euro parts! I know I know its not the best fan lol but I was low on money and no I kindly snugged the bolts

Old 10-27-2013, 08:10 AM
FCK HONDA

Mein Auto: 1995 540i SPORT /6 spd
2 10-12" electric fans are 50$..

If the pullys not bolted down even its unbalanced..

If the fan clutch cross threads.. It will wobble..

If you go electric... It will not! And you get a clean look and more room to work..

And idk bout you.. Is your fan loud? Sick of hearing it yet??

And lastly, fyi.. When mine exploded.. The ruined fan shredded the top hose, punctured the radiator, and dented my hood!!!

The wide grill hood, clean in black.. Took me a year to find.. I once got a 850$ quote for just the hood..

So if you wondered why I'm so admit about going electric, thats why! I also went with an all aluminum radiator and metal hoses..

Bullet proof baby!
1995 540i /6 speed.Black on black. C.A.I/JBR LWFW/ Dinan tune/hi flow exhuast /545 SSK /3.15 with LSD / rev-shift racing motor mounts/stage 4, 6 puck clutch/ K Sport coil overs / 19" BBS LM's / suede sparco 368 steering wheel, Recaro bucket seats, sparco 4 point harnesses, NX wet kit, M/T drag slicks
"Skill can only get you so far, then comes money!"
R . I . P Paul Walker - 1973 - 2013

Last edited by imae34driver; 10-27-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:30 AM
Nothin like an E34

I personally am going electric, fear of the clutch not working properly, and as imae34driver said, I'm sick of hearing it, and hate looking at the manual fan, went electric on my jeep never looked back.

Gotta love an E34!!
If you want to get junkyard parts remember one thing, if it was wrecked you know it was running/driving. You may not know how well, but it was.

STOMP TEST

READ ME IM THE BIBLE

FAN CLUTCH

LOCKS

ANGEL EYES
Old 10-27-2013, 08:35 AM
FCK HONDA

Mein Auto: 1995 540i SPORT /6 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95-540sport View Post
I personally am going electric, fear of the clutch not working properly, and as imae34driver said, I'm sick of hearing it, and hate looking at the manual fan, went electric on my jeep never looked back.
^
Praise him, for he has seen the light! IMO...

I have never had a E fan fail me, ever.. BMW fan.. Not the case, just a matter of time.
1995 540i /6 speed.Black on black. C.A.I/JBR LWFW/ Dinan tune/hi flow exhuast /545 SSK /3.15 with LSD / rev-shift racing motor mounts/stage 4, 6 puck clutch/ K Sport coil overs / 19" BBS LM's / suede sparco 368 steering wheel, Recaro bucket seats, sparco 4 point harnesses, NX wet kit, M/T drag slicks
"Skill can only get you so far, then comes money!"
R . I . P Paul Walker - 1973 - 2013
Old 10-27-2013, 08:45 AM
Nothin like an E34

It's cleaner, more efficient IMO, and in theory you get better MPG(not much but some) b/c you do not have the drag of the mech. fan. Also that is why i am putting two on, instead of one large one that may fail, you have a second to back the first up. Also cools better sitting in traffic versus the mech fan.

Gotta love an E34!!

STOMP TEST

READ ME IM THE BIBLE

FAN CLUTCH

LOCKS

ANGEL EYES
Old 10-27-2013, 10:47 AM

When mine exploded it put a small dent in the radiator and that was it! The euro fan I bought was junk, so I put a fan off my junk 91 525 on it and its a whole lot better! But I'm not satisfied with the set up next pay check I'm going electric. It scared me a whole lot because the radiator ain't even a week old lol