Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 10-26-2013, 12:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1991 bmw 525i 5 speed
Am I right or wrong?

I have a 95 540i/6, some one told me you can stop the clutch fan with a rolled up news paper at idle? If I tried that with mine it would shread it! When you rev my car up the fan turns with the engine the higher the rpm the faster the fan will go! Is it normal? I thought when you reved your car your fan was supposed to stay the same speed not turn faster as you increase the rpms???

Sent from my LT28at using BimmerApp mobile app
Ads by Google
Old 10-26-2013, 07:32 AM
Nothin like an E34

Mein Auto: 95 540i B/B
It turns faster to bring in more air, you produce more heat at higher RPM, so yes it should move faster. No you should not be able to stop the fan that is a test you do to see if the fan clutch is good; if it stops your fan clutch is bad, if it does not stop(in your case)the fan clutch is fine.

Gotta love an E34!!
If you want to get junkyard parts remember one thing, if it was wrecked you know it was running/driving. You may not know how well, but it was.

READ THE STICKIES AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE!!

STOMP TEST

READ ME IM THE BIBLE

FAN CLUTCH

LOCKS

ANGEL EYES
Old 10-27-2013, 08:05 AM
FCK HONDA

Mein Auto: 1995 540i SPORT /6 spd
The fan clutch has silicone in it.. As it heats up the silicone expands locking up the clutch..

So if its hot, the clutch should engage and it turns near rpm speed minus a little bit for drag..

If you can stop it, the clutch is bad.. Id never stick anything into my fan petsonally for fear of a "new fan thread" lol

But if after driving i turn it off and i feel it spins freely from the motor no resistance, its bad..

Just go electric, join us in the future haha
1995 540i /6 speed.Black on black. C.A.I/JBR LWFW/ Dinan tune/hi flow exhuast /545 SSK /3.15 with LSD / rev-shift racing motor mounts/stage 4, 6 puck clutch/ K Sport coil overs / 19" BBS LM's / suede sparco 368 steering wheel, Recaro bucket seats, sparco 4 point harnesses, NX wet kit, M/T drag slicks
"Skill can only get you so far, then comes money!"
R . I . P Paul Walker - 1973 - 2013
Old 10-27-2013, 08:33 AM

Mein Auto: 95 540/6
Our fans have a clutch, and although always spin when the engine is on it is not always engaged. So in theory you could stick a rolled up paper to stop it as long as it's not engaged. Which I believe it engaged once hotter...That much I'm not 100% sure.

Are you thinking your fan is bad?
Old 10-27-2013, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: 540i
When it is cold, you should be able to stop it with a roll of newspaper.

If the fan clutch is worn and cannot be stopped when the engine is cold, your engine will take more time to get to the operation temperature (or never get there). That will cause the engine to wear out earlier.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto: e34
Re: Am I right or wrong?

Its normal the more u acc the car the fan will move faster as the rpms go hgh

Sent from my GT-P3113 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-14-2013, 10:11 PM

Mein Auto: 1994 525it
the rolled up paper should be touching the inner, closest to the center part of the fan.
Pressure should be against this part of the fan not the blades.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:27 AM

Mein Auto: 1991 bmw 525i 5 speed
Re: Am I right or wrong?

If I tried that mine would shread the paper lol

Sent from my LT28at using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-15-2013, 06:50 AM
Humble E34 lover

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Well, I used to think the newspaper test was a solid test. Not so much anymore. Let me explain (this assumes a correctly functioning fan clutch).

When stone cold, the fan clutch will be engaged, i.e. turning almost 1:1 with the crank. As the engine warms up, the fan clutch will disengage, i.e. turn slower than the crank. This in essence is the function of the clutch; to not turn as fast when not needed, i.e. when the engine is at normal operating temp. So, if you stick the newspaper in the fan when the engine is only at normal operating temp, the fan will stop rather easily. I know this because I tested it when I recently put a new fan clutch on. I then did a complete coolant system overhaul about 5K miles thereafter as preventative maintenance. It had been 80K since my previous overhaul. So, I know that the fan was new and the cooling system was new and functioning properly.

Moving on, if the engine temp exceeds normal, that is when the viscous clutch will begin to engage and cause the fan to turn faster thereby drawing in more air across the radiator to assist with cooling the engine back to normal temp. This can happen on a hot day in stop and go trafice. I'm sure many here have had the experience of being in traffic, taking off and hearing the fan roar for a few seconds (10-20 seconds) and then quiet down again. This is the normal operation of the fan clutch.

So, having said that, the newspaper trick would really only work if the engine temp was up to the point that the viscous material in the clutch is hot enough to engage and turn the fan faster. So, if your engine is at normal operating temp, the fan will be stopped by the rolled up newspaper. Now, if the engine is running hotter than it should (say anything above 12 o'clock and up to 3/4), then the fan should indeed shred the newspaper if it is operating properly.

So a synopsis of a normally operating fan clutch:

Engine stone cold - fan clutch engaged
Engine at normal operating temp - fan clutch disengaged (easily stopped with the newspaper)
Engine above normal operating temp - fan clutch engaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 11-15-2013, 12:53 PM
Nothin like an E34

Mein Auto: 95 540i B/B
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR_LVR View Post
So a synopsis of a normally operating fan clutch:

Engine stone cold - fan clutch engaged
Engine at normal operating temp - fan clutch disengaged (easily stopped with the newspaper)
Engine above normal operating temp - fan clutch engaged
My new signature to remember it

Gotta love an E34!!
If you want to get junkyard parts remember one thing, if it was wrecked you know it was running/driving. You may not know how well, but it was.

READ THE STICKIES AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE!!

STOMP TEST

READ ME IM THE BIBLE

FAN CLUTCH

LOCKS

ANGEL EYES