Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 10-17-2013, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: X1
Wooo Hooo! It's here!!!

OK, so my new X3 arrived at the dealer today. I originally purchased my first BMW - an X1 in June, but due to issues I'm using a trade assist on an X3 35i (the dealer was super supportive and awesome to deal with).

I'm hoping to pick it up end of next week, as they need to install some accessories for me. Here is the build spec (I went with Space grey Metallic with Chestnut seat):

• 19" light alloy double spoke wheels - style 309 with all-season run-flat tires
  • Rear View Camera with Top View
  • Fineline Wave Wood Trim
  • Premium audio system
  • Cold Weather Package
  • Heated front seats
  • Heated Steering Wheel
  • Retractable headlight washers
  • Heated rear seats
  • Driver Assistance Package
  • Park Distance Control
  • Rear-view camera
  • Premium Package
  • Comfort Access keyless entry
  • Lumbar support
  • Satellite radio with 1 year subscription
  • Technology Package
  • Head-up Display
  • Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information
  • BMW Online
  • Navigation system
  • Enhanced USB and Bluetooth plus Smartphone Integration
  • BMW Apps
  • Remote Services

I thought long and hard on the silver roof rails, but decided against them as I didn't care for the silver. It looked cheap in my opinion compared to the black ones on my X1.

I'll post pics next week when I take delivery of it!

Last edited by shadowboxer; 10-17-2013 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Fix formatting of bullets
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2013, 02:33 PM
Running around in circles

Mein Auto: E46 ZHP
Sweet! Congrats on the X3

Previous Bimmers ( All sorely missed ):
2007 Mystic Blue 530i - ED 12-15-06
2003 Grey Green 330i
2003 Electric Red 325iTa

Angular velocity is where it's at

-Jay
Old 10-17-2013, 03:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: x3 35i
Wooo Hooo! It's here!!!

Pics or it didn't happen! What was wrong with the x1?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-17-2013, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: Moto Guzzi
Wooo Hooo! It's here!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowboxer View Post
OK, so my new X3 arrived at the dealer today. I originally purchased my first BMW - an X1 in June, but due to issues I'm using a trade assist on an X3 35i (the dealer was super supportive and awesome to deal with).

I'm hoping to pick it up end of next week, as they need to install some accessories for me. Here is the build spec (I went with Space grey Metallic with Chestnut seat):

• 19" light alloy double spoke wheels - style 309 with all-season run-flat tires
  • Fineline Wave Wood Trim
  • Premium audio system
  • Cold Weather Package

• Heated front seats
  • Heated Steering Wheel
  • Retractable headlight washers
  • Heated rear seats
  • Driver Assistance Package

• Park Distance Control
  • Rear-view camera
  • Premium Package

• Comfort Access keyless entry
  • Lumbar support
  • Satellite radio with 1 year subscription
  • Technology Package

• Head-up Display
  • Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information
  • BMW Online
  • Navigation system
  • Enhanced USB and Bluetooth plus Smartphone Integration
  • BMW Apps
  • Remote Services

I thought long and hard on the silver roof rails, but decided against them as I didn't care for the silver. It looked cheap in my opinion compared to the black ones on my X1.

I'll post pics next week when I take delivery of it!
Congrats! Would be great for you to do a compare for us once you get a few miles.

I agree on the color of the rails but there is not an easy fix if you change your mind later.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
shadowboxer, congrats on your new X3 35i. Are you going to change out the GY tires? I am not sure if you order your X3, but you can get the roof rail in black.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:48 PM

Hi Guys,

For now I'm going to leave the GY tires on. Maybe in time I'll have a better selections of run flats in the 19" size to choose from.

Will certainly do a compare/contrast write up when I get the car next weekend.

Black rails? I had the car special ordered, and I was told I could not get the rails in black. I would have had I known I could. Everything seemed silver unless I got the M sport. Oh well.

I can tell you I think the X3 definitely looks more masculine and has more 'presence" on the road than the X1.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:11 PM

Wooo Hooo! It's here!!!

What a load of crap. You can for sure pick black or silver roof rails! My dealer ordered me a new car because they check off silver when I never asked for it. I assumed the roof rails was standard black because when you go to the website it automatically checks off black so it was never brought up when special ordering. Come to find out my dealer went click happy with the computer and check off silver rails when I never wanted silver rails. His response was we never discussed it. My response was: there was no need to discuss it due to the website defaulting to black rails so one can assume default is black. So we all know what happens when you assume! But in my case they knew I was right and ordered me a new car ASAP. My color is carbon black so the black rails is a must.

In your case space gray I would rather have the silver rails. Don't worry about the rails. You have a very nice car either way!

Old 10-26-2013, 02:09 PM

So I picked up the X3 today and all I can say is WOW. It is a significant step up in every way over the X1. Here are my impressions:

2014 X1 28 sDrive (my first car)

Nice. Very quick. Good size though quickly realized it can be filled up with stuff. I switched over to Michelin MXM Primacy non-run flats and car was much smoother but lost a lot of its agility. Also seemed to wander on highway with winds. Engine had a nice sound when stepped on. Avg gas mileage was 23.5-24. 18" wheels.

2013 X1 35 xDrive (loaner I had while they tried to fix my X1)

At first seemed like too much power. However quickly grew to like it. Engine noise was present and grew a bit old. The 6 speed trans seemed like it really needed the 8 speed. At 80 in my X1 I ran 2K RPM. In the x35 I ran 2,500 and it was noticeable. Was surprised how much more stable car felt with xDrive in the rain, and even in the dry. Car was more responsive with run-flats than mine was with non-run flats. 18" wheels.

2014 X3 35i xDrive (picked up today)

19" wheels. WOW. A completely different level car. Much more refined than the X1. Interior controls seem to feel of better quality (which I didn't expect and find surprising). I did not do the adaptive suspension, and even with my focus on handling the car handles the best of all three. Appreciate the servotronic while parking with my bad shoulder. Wind noise noticeably than the X1's. Engine noise also less. Car with 8 speed runs about 2200 RPM at 80. Also I have the premium sound in my X1 and the X3 and the X3 sounds much better.

Here are pics of my new car:

Old 10-26-2013, 10:10 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Great color combo! Good choice on the black rails- goes especially with an M Sport because of the black trim around the windows. Not sure why people would ever want aluminum rails- why would you want attention drawn to the roof of the SUV? One man's opinion.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:17 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyver626 View Post
What a load of crap. You can for sure pick black or silver roof rails! My dealer ordered me a new car because they check off silver when I never asked for it. I assumed the roof rails was standard black because when you go to the website it automatically checks off black so it was never brought up when special ordering. Come to find out my dealer went click happy with the computer and check off silver rails when I never wanted silver rails. His response was we never discussed it. My response was: there was no need to discuss it due to the website defaulting to black rails so one can assume default is black. So we all know what happens when you assume! But in my case they knew I was right and ordered me a new car ASAP. My color is carbon black so the black rails is a must.

In your case space gray I would rather have the silver rails. Don't worry about the rails. You have a very nice car either way!

Very interesting. You're at least the fourth person that this happened to. Happened to me when ordering my X3. Dealer had to order another X3 for us. My wife was quite upset with our CA. Never even asked me about the rails, after we looked at the brochure together and built one out on the website with black rails.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
Great color combo! Good choice on the black rails- goes especially with an M Sport because of the black trim around the windows. Not sure why people would ever want aluminum rails- why would you want attention drawn to the roof of the SUV? One man's opinion.
Thanks. Actually I went with NO roof rails since I was told the only option was silver. I'm still going back and forth if based with the facts I was told no rails was better than silver rails.

Definitely would have gotten black had I known. But considering, I don't think it looks too bad.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:46 AM

Wooo Hooo! It's here!!!

Last edited by guyver626; 10-27-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:38 PM

I did the rear fog light mod today. SUPER easy to do.

Also, was concerned about the GY tires. Sure they are not the best I've ever ridden on, but so far they are perfectly fine. We'll see if that changes.