Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:41 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X1
Problem with brand new 2014 BMW X1

New BMW X1 - just about 2 weeks old with less than 400 miles on it suddenly stopped showing over heated engine sign.

On calling BMW roadside assitance, they suggested I check the coolant levels.
I carefully opened the cap (with little smoke coming out of it) and saw the level was indeed below minimum.
The roadside assitance personel suggested that she will find a provider who can deliver coolant.
The delivery person arrived with gas instead of the coolant???? Seriously??? That too after 4 hours.

Actually on calling back BMW roadside assitance line while waiting fo service one personel hanged up in between without calling back
inspite of noting my number to call back at the begining of conversation.

Luckily in the mean time police came by checking up and helped my wife get back to home and get our second car(8 year old toyota, reliable as always).

Again called BMW roadside assistance and this time someone sensible responded and suggested to provide a towing service who can deliver the car to the nearest dealership.
That worked and finally after about 5 hours of waiting the vehicle was taken.

Being a Saturday they said the dealership will receive it actually on Monday.
The dealership happens to be the same from where I bought it.
Today is sunday , hoping to hearback tomorrow.
How can a new car have no fluid? Not an expert to understand if its actually a leakage or just overlooking issue...

Really scared as this could lead to an accident... never expected a brand new BMW to behave this way....
And BMW roadside assistance is really very very bad....absolutely frustrating
Advertisement
Old 10-27-2013, 12:42 PM

New BMW X1 - just about 2 weeks old with less than 400 miles on it suddenly stopped showing over heated engine sign.

On calling BMW roadside assitance, they suggested I check the coolant levels.
I carefully opened the cap (with little smoke coming out of it) and saw the level was indeed below minimum.
The roadside assitance personel suggested that she will find a provider who can deliver coolant.
The delivery person arrived with gas instead of the coolant???? Seriously??? That too after 4 hours.

Actually on calling back BMW roadside assitance line while waiting fo service one personel hanged up in between without calling back
inspite of noting my number to call back at the begining of conversation.

Luckily in the mean time police came by checking up and helped my wife get back to home and get our second car(8 year old toyota, reliable as always).

Again called BMW roadside assistance and this time someone sensible responded and suggested to provide a towing service who can deliver the car to the nearest dealership.
That worked and finally after about 5 hours of waiting the vehicle was taken.

Being a Saturday they said the dealership will receive it actually on Monday.
The dealership happens to be the same from where I bought it.
Today is sunday , hoping to hearback tomorrow.
How can a new car have no fluid? Not an expert to understand if its actually a leakage or just overlooking issue...

Really scared as this could lead to an accident... never expected a brand new BMW to behave this way....
And BMW roadside assistance is really very very bad....absolutely frustrating.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i
My experience tell me there are two types of drivers.
There is the one who just wants to put it into drive and is not that inquisitive about the workings under the hood.
And there are those who on day one, would have the hood open, check it all out, check the fluid levels, tires, etc.
Anyone taking delivery of a new car should expect all fluids up to spec.
But if they were not, I would have discovered it within days of taking ownership, if not the same evening. And if it was me, instead of waiting 5 hours for someone to come with fluid, I would have just added fluid.
Inexcusable that BMW did not do that, but too many things going on, and I am use to high maintenance on cars as my responsibility.
Good luck with your new x1. It is a beautiful car. PS--have you checked the air pressure?
Old 10-27-2013, 01:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 s28i Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiksdaddy View Post
You mean started showing over heated engine sign?

In that kind of situation you should pour water slowly into it. Distilled is perfect, bottled is ok.

You probably can't put enough into it to dilute the antifreeze to where the engine freezes over night or messes up electric water pump.

The antifreeze ratio can be adjusted later, and water is better coolant than antifreeze.

It seems like lots of us had low coolant levels upon delivery, and maybe they have trouble getting air out on first new fill.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:25 AM

Thanks for your responses.

Yes I understand now I have to be more careful under the hood.

I am spoiled by the reliability of Toyota I guess.
None of these things happened for last 8 years.
never thought this could happen to a BMW.....

Learnt a big lesson...
Eager to hear back from the dealership today....
Old 10-28-2013, 07:36 AM
BMW NA Customer Relations

Mein Auto: B M W
Hi tiksdaddy, I am with BMW of North America, LLC. I was sorry to read about your engine issue with your 2014 X1, and want to learn more. Please reply with your name, phone number and VIN, and a member of our Customer Relations team will follow up with you directly.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:24 AM
Mullini

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW sDrive 28i X1
I assume this thread will be moved to X1 forum. But the low coolant issue is not unknown. Mine happened, however, at 11,000 miles. And my car did not stall out. I just got a "low coolant level" alert and a day or so later got it to the dealership. BMW may indeed have an issue with how new cars are filled with coolant. Somehow some cars are making it through production in a condition where, much earlier than should ever happen, the coolant gets dangerously low.

Sorry you had a less than ideal experience with BMW Roadside Assistance. I've only had to use it once, for a forgotten passcode :-( and they were quick and helpful.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:41 AM
Mullini

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW sDrive 28i X1
Ah I first saw this post in a the General BMW forum, and I gave the following reply there - "I assume this thread will be moved to X1 forum. But the low coolant issue is not unknown. Mine happened, however, at 11,000 miles. And my car did not stall out. I just got a "low coolant level" alert and a day or so later got it to the dealership. BMW may indeed have an issue with how new cars are filled with coolant. Somehow some cars are making it through production in a condition where, much earlier than should ever happen, the coolant gets dangerously low.

Sorry you had a less than ideal experience with BMW Roadside Assistance. I've only had to use it once, for a forgotten passcode :-( and they were quick and helpful."

I certainly never checked my X1's various fluid levels, etc., and I doubt if most owners do. Search here for "low coolant' and you'll quickly get a sense that BMW needs to do a better job of making sure vehicles leave production with full coolant reservoirs. I doubt if BMW's policy would be, "You buy our vehicles at risk that BMW won't have made sure that they are delivered with proper fluids, etc.".
Old 10-28-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:

Learnt a big lesson...
Nope, not going to let you get away with that side comment. I bought a new Prius Toyota for my daughter, first thing I did was check it over carefully. Needed additional fluid, and the oil filter was not on tight enough causing a slight leak.
ANYONE who gets a car, new or used, has a responsibility to not just get in and drive for the next 3000 miles without checking everything out carefully--immediately, at least within the first few days. It may or may not be perfect. And if something simple is wrong and it causes major dollars to fix---too ofter that is coming out of your pocket in both dollars and in time, and in aggravation. Nope, you are one of those drivers who just wants to turn the key and hope for the best, like many drivers. Most of the time you will win----but not always.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:04 AM
My avatar is a selfie LOL

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT

Quote:

Learnt a big lesson...
Don't ever make the mistake of thinking your BMW will be reliable if you don't treat it right.

I know this wasn't your fault, as it's a brand new car.

But for future reference, you should stick with preventive maintenance on your BMW, which should make it more reliable. More expensive, yes, but worth it? Yes!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by Keepittrill; 10-29-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: X1

Sorry you had this issue. I would be on the phone with BMW NA and complaining until they compensated with you for the five hours wasted with road side assistance. Do not hang up until you do. That is inexcusable on their part.

Next time put some distilled water in it to get you home. And let the dealer deal with the proper coolant/water ratio later.

I had a Nissan before and it was very reliable but I still opened the hood to check fluids once in a while ;-)

Old 10-28-2013, 11:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb328i View Post
ANYONE who gets a car, new or used, has a responsibility to not just get in and drive for the next 3000 miles without checking everything out carefully--immediately, at least within the first few days. It may or may not be perfect. And if something simple is wrong and it causes major dollars to fix---too ofter that is coming out of your pocket in both dollars and in time, and in aggravation. Nope, you are one of those drivers who just wants to turn the key and hope for the best, like many drivers. Most of the time you will win----but not always.

I couldn't possibly disagree more.

OP bought a brand new car two weeks ago and has only put a few hundred miles on it. A consumer has ZERO responsibility to check fluids within the "first few days" of ownership as you stated. ZERO responsibility. It is the manufacturers responsibility to deliver the vehicle with satisfactory levels of fluid and the consumers responsibility to follow the manufacturer's suggested maintenance schedule. It is ludicrous to blame the OP for this.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:10 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Quote:

Learnt a big lesson...
You should have stayed with toyota

They are appliances.... Never break down never need attention

Bmw cars are fir enthusiasts like us... "Hood browsing hobby" every saturday
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Old 10-28-2013, 12:31 PM

Thanks for following up BMWNA.

I have posted my details to you as a private message.
Hoping to hear back for customer relations soon as you stated.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:39 PM

Mein Auto: '13 535xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
Curious how this issue with your new X1 is resolved.

I'm considering buying a new one for my wife but am on the fence because (1) it's 'smallish' and (2) reports of tight fit for child car seat in the rear seat. And our grandson still has to sit on one for a while.

"Seek and ye shall find" ... start with your owner's manual!

Get add'l discounts and cash rebates at your favorite e-stores incl Tirerack!

Mr. Rebates
Old 10-28-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_I_said View Post

OP bought a brand new car two weeks ago and has only put a few hundred miles on it. A consumer has ZERO responsibility to check fluids within the "first few days" of ownership as you stated. ZERO responsibility. It is the manufacturers responsibility to deliver the vehicle with satisfactory levels of fluid and the consumers responsibility to follow the manufacturer's suggested maintenance schedule. It is ludicrous to blame the OP for this.
Although it's less probable for this problem to happen in a brand new car and very unsettling when it does happen. How do you know the manufacturer delivered the car with inadequate fluid levels? The car's system did it's job and warned about the low coolant level. But loss of coolant could of happened after the OP took possession for any number of reasons. Unless a fault is discovered that would have caused coolant loss, it would be hard to prove the dealer gave you the car with inadequate fluids.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfex View Post
Although it's less probable for this problem to happen in a brand new car and very unsettling when it does happen. How do you know the manufacturer delivered the car with inadequate fluid levels? The car's system did it's job and warned about the low coolant level. But loss of coolant could of happened after the OP took possession for any number of reasons. Unless a fault is discovered that would have caused coolant loss, it would be hard to prove the dealer gave you the car with inadequate fluids.

And that is my point. It is YOUR car now, take care of it, check everything. If the fluids were low a week ago when you got it, hard to prove it, and expensive to go the court if need be---because of damage. Also, it could be something that happened AFTER delivery that resulted in damage.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
What have said

Originally Posted by I_am_I_said

Totally disagree

You buy a new ipad/iphone, do you expect to download software, set-up and tested (Maintenance)

This procedure.... First Basic maintenace and check should apply to everything we buy
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING

Last edited by SilverX3; 10-28-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverX3 View Post
What have said

Originally Posted by I_am_I_said

Totally disagree

You buy a new ipad/iphone, do you expect to download software, set-up and tested (Maintenance)

This procedure.... First Basic maintenace and check should apply to everything we buy
Of course I would expect to download software/updates. That would be the equivalent to performing the “scheduled maintenance” I mentioned above as an owners responsibility. It is not the same thing as this guy checking his fluid levels the day he bought his car.

Do you also open up your electronic devices and make sure they were properly put together? Of course you don’t.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 M3
Very nice to see BMWNA responded. Is the forum monitored or did they get a notification of this X1.
I am a guy always under the hood, but I would not have suspected or have detected low coolant.
10 M3 Sedan (sweet)
13 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
14 Porsche Cayenne Platinum Diesel

BMWCCA 4215
Old 10-28-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_I_said View Post
Of course I would expect to download software/updates. That would be the equivalent to performing the "scheduled maintenance" I mentioned above as an owners responsibility. It is not the same thing as this guy checking his fluid levels the day he bought his car.

Do you also open up your electronic devices and make sure they were properly put together? Of course you don't.
No I_am_I_said, because you can't open electronics without voiding the warranty. When you buy a house you inspect it or if financing it you hire a professional inspector to do it for you before signing the papers. BMW is only responsible for warranty service that is specified in your warranty agreement. They are not responsible for daily, weekly, and monthly checks to keep your car running optimally (tire pressure, coolant level, windshield wiper fluid, oil level, break fluid level, visual inspections, washing/waxing, refueling, etc). In other words the driver is responsible for all vehicle checks in between scheduled warranty maintenance. For those that don't know how or don't want to do it, some BMW service departments offer these checks but at an extra cost (some may throw in free fluid top off). No court of law will agree with your statement that the driver has zero responsibility.

To the OP, I am glad BMW NA is replying directly to handle the situation. Waiting that long for road side service is unacceptable and tarnishes the BMW brand image. I once waited 2 and a half hours for Ford roadside assistance and did they get an earful. They give me a free vehicle detailing haha.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:47 AM

I did not hear from any of bmw officials till now. On calling the dealer they confirmed yesterday that they will call back with their findings by Monday evening. They did not. Neither did any one else call as stated by bmwna in this forum.

As for all here suggesting it's my fault not checking everything .... I suggest you think once about what the word brand mean?
I am being patient and polite to make sure they get the chance to study the situation and the car and get back with their report.
Thats coz I know I did not do anything that can cause this.

I myself work for a reputed financial corporate firm and I know what customer service means to us and I expect the same from bmw.

Will keep u all updated on what happens.....
Old 10-29-2013, 08:07 AM
My avatar is a selfie LOL

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT

Quote:
I did not hear from any of bmw officials till now. On calling the dealer they confirmed yesterday that they will call back with their findings by Monday evening. They did not. Neither did any one else call as stated by bmwna in this forum.

As for all here suggesting it's my fault not checking everything .... I suggest you think once about what the word brand mean?
I am being patient and polite to make sure they get the chance to study the situation and the car and get back with their report.
Thats coz I know I did not do anything that can cause this.

I myself work for a reputed financial corporate firm and I know what customer service means to us and I expect the same from bmw.

Ignore them. You'll soon learn that the BMW forums are an unforgiving place. A lot of people think they're more of an enthusiast than everyone here.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Quote:

Good luck with the outcome!
I'm sure everything will be just fine. Your dealer will find the problem and fix up for you. You would think the coolant levels would be normal coming off the line at factory and it would be unlikely for that step to be fouled up. Perhaps a slow leak somewhere dropped it below normal. But it would have to be extremely low for the engine to overheat.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 Audi Q5 3.2
Quote:

I'll chime in with what common sense tells me.
I understood from your initial post that the car stopped(engine shut down) and the engine overheat symbol appeared. This could only happen from a failed sensor, a stuck(failed) electronic thermostat, or a sudden loss of coolant...all of which would have eluded any pre-delivery inspection by either yourself or the tech in charge of the pre-delivery prep.
Roadside Assistance totally screwed up the response to a possible catastrophic failure. Suggesting that the you, or anyone else, check the coolant level was ludicrous...you may been severely burned from releasing the pressure on the over-heated cooling system. Response time was absolutely pathetic. Not sure what, but you are OWED something from BMWNA for your inconvenience/trouble. I think they will/should offer you something...a free detail, $100 credit toward accessories, etc.
I see no reason why you should share ANY blame for what has happened.
I DO think it's a good idea (if you haven't already) to read the owner's manual and familiarize yourself with what goes on under the hood, but BMW has chosen to put in place sensors that are supposed to do that specifically for the owner that doesn't know much about or perform their own maintenance. They have pretty much taken that responsibility out of the ownership experience. I think BMW would rather have owners leave alone what goes on under the hood and react only when an owner receives a signal or service indicator.
As for me...I thoroughly enjoy tinkering on cars so I just can't do that. I often find myself looking for something change, adjust, or modify on all of my cars...BMW included.

Low coolant sensor, Low oil sensor, NO DIPSTICK for oil, NO DIPSTICK for transmission fluid, Low brake fluid sensor, Burned out bulb indicator, and TPMS, et al are there(or not there...DOH!)to help owners get the type of service needed (when needed).

As far as you having any monetary responsibility because you didn't check the fluids before the X1 had this failure...well, that's just nonsense. There is a LOW COOLANT indicator for that and if that indicator failed to do its job then that's BMWs burden to bear.

You did everything you should have and I hope they get your car sorted quickly. GL.

HaveBulldogWillTravel
English Bulldog Rescue
Recover
Rehab
Rehome
Rewarding
'13 X1 xDrive28i, Min. White, Sand, UP, LP, M-Sport, HK, Heated Seats, Satellite
Cross Bars
Invisihitch

Last edited by HBWT; 10-29-2013 at 08:59 AM.