Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 10-18-2013, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: 750Li
Hey guys, I have a question about the F01

Right now I am an owner of a E66 750li. In April I will make my last car payment and will have the itch to upgrade. I've seen some really nicely priced 2009 and 2010 7-series out there on the market. So my questions are....

Are there any drawbacks to getting an 09? I know how the first year of a change seems to be the test pig.

Are there any mechanical trends that I should be on the look out for?

How are the newer 750li's on gas compared to the older models?

Thanks to anyone who take time out of their day to provide me with info!
Ads by Google
Old 10-18-2013, 11:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ///M7

I would do a 10. It has a slight iDrive upgrade that give your better sat radio with stop/play/rewind function.

My 13 gives slightly better mpg than my 09 did. But it is the updated N63tu engine.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Options: Executive Package, M-Sport, B&O Sound, LED Lighting, Drivers Assist, Active Cruise. No RWS (Rear Wood Shelf).
Mods: BMS n63tu Tune, PedalBox, H&R Sport Springs, RD Sport Front Lip, Rear Roof & Trunk Spoilers, 20" Forgestar F14 Rims, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, 20% Front/15% Rear Tint, Carbon Fiber Wrap, Smoked Taillights, 760 Exhaust Tips, "Golf Tee" mod, Kidney Grills & Front Vents Painted Gloss Black, Brake Calipers Gloss Black w/BMW Logos, B&W Carbon Fiber Roundels.

Last edited by rajeek; 10-18-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:25 AM

Mein Auto: ///M7

Options: Executive Package, M-Sport, B&O Sound, LED Lighting, Drivers Assist, Active Cruise. No RWS (Rear Wood Shelf).
Mods: BMS n63tu Tune, PedalBox, H&R Sport Springs, RD Sport Front Lip, Rear Roof & Trunk Spoilers, 20" Forgestar F14 Rims, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, 20% Front/15% Rear Tint, Carbon Fiber Wrap, Smoked Taillights, 760 Exhaust Tips, "Golf Tee" mod, Kidney Grills & Front Vents Painted Gloss Black, Brake Calipers Gloss Black w/BMW Logos, B&W Carbon Fiber Roundels.

Last edited by rajeek; 10-18-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:24 PM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 3.0

No mention of a rws in that post.
He must have been hacked.
Keep your e66. It definitely has one. Where as your f01/2 may not.

And all jokes aside make sure you get a cpo or warranty. These cars have their quirks as did the e65/6

06 X5 3.0 Toledo Blue Metallic/Light Beige 2:
Adaptive Xenon Headlamps, Panoramic Sunroof, Rear Sunshades,
+Factory Aux Input in Ashtray, Bluetooth, Rear PDC Sensors, Rear Electronic Adjustable Seat Backs,
+White Angel Eye LEDs, +5000k LED H11 Foglights, +Blacked Out Chrome Grill Surround, +Puddle Light Logo Projector
.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i
Old 10-18-2013, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 750i X Drive
I went from a 2006 e65 to a 2012 Audi A6 Prestige to a 2011 F01 (bought it July of this year). I would stay away from the 2009 as it IS the first year. Don't know much about the 2010s. I have the 2011 and love it. No issues...yet. Mine has 33k miles on it now. Just make sure, if possible, you get all the options you want, if you can find one, and get one with an M package. It took me awhile to find what I wanted but I did. Only weird thing is that it didn't come with the rear view camera. Again, weird. I might have to add it on for $1300 at the stealer.

As for gas mileage - it sucks. Really sucks. I think when you punch the accelerator, an whole opens up in the gas tank and it just dumps gas onto the road. I get maybe 15mpg in the city. But that's exactly what I got in my e65, though I was expecting better gas mileage with the newer engine but it IS a twin turbo so...

You won't be disappointed with an F01.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:56 PM
Gib mir Feurschutz!

Mein Auto: 2013 750i

I'd get as new of a year as possible, they constantly tweak the car on the production line. Get a CPO or one with an extended warranty.

Typical problems are the injectors go bad.

My first BMW was a '12 which was lemoned, this one has been bulletproof. Almost at 8k miles.

Good luck!
Chris

2013 BMW 750i - Coded, Executive, Lighting, Cold Weather, M Sport, M 303 Wheels, 5% Tint, Conti DWS Tires, 3M Bra, Vinyl Black Gloss Roof Wrap, Exhaust Flap Mod.

Last edited by ChrisF01; 10-18-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 750Li xD

Buy one built after 9/10 has better tech

Old 10-18-2013, 05:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 750 Li
Re: Hey guys, I have a question about the F01

Unlike the e66, I have an 09 and the only problem I have is oil consumption. From the sounds of it, all of the years have this issue though. Other than that, the interior is not as roomy but the speed makes up for it. I have gotten as high as 21mpg.on the highway at 70 mph and I average about 15.6 doing 50/50 driving. You will be very pleased with the upgrade from e65 to the f01

Sent from my SPH-L710 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-18-2013, 10:52 PM

Thanks for the info guys!

I'm going to test drive one tomorrow so I will update this thread with my driving impressions.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 750i

I had the E65 745i. Now I have a 09 F01 with 21k miles. The car has no major issues other than the oil pump whine which has been fixed under warranty. The transmission is quirky like the E65 too. The car is so much faster but does drink gasoline. I got 26 mpg on the highway in my 745i...lucky to get 21 mpg on the F01. I average about 16.5 mpg. Interior was much roomier in the E65. Center storage was much better in the E65 along with the cup holders...terrible cup holder location and design on the F01. Overall the F01 is a much superior vehicle just a few things I wish the designers had kept from the old model. Don't be afraid of a clean low mileage 2009 with CPO. Good luck as you search.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:20 AM
TTurboFest

Mein Auto: F02 (750Li)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjklj View Post
I had the E65 745i. Now I have a 09 F01 with 21k miles. The car has no major issues other than the oil pump whine which has been fixed under warranty. The transmission is quirky like the E65 too. The car is so much faster but does drink gasoline. I got 26 mpg on the highway in my 745i...lucky to get 21 mpg on the F01. I average about 16.5 mpg. Interior was much roomier in the E65. Center storage was much better in the E65 along with the cup holders...terrible cup holder location and design on the F01. Overall the F01 is a much superior vehicle just a few things I wish the designers had kept from the old model. Don't be afraid of a clean low mileage 2009 with CPO. Good luck as you search.

I get better gas mileage than my E66 driven them equally, once I start stomping on my F02 she is indeed a real drinker , I got 22.7 MPG on a 350 mile trip two weeks ago .
Options: Camera Pkg, Convinience Pkg, Driver asst, F&R Luxury Seating, Prem/Sound, Rear Entertainment, Sport Pkg, Massage rear seats, Ceramic Controls, Active Cruise, SmarthPhone Int., Night Vision, Head-UP Display, Sat, Leather Wrapped Dash&Doors.
(N54 E82 135i) JB4 ISO FBO, 434whp & 470wtq / Run Conditions 90.28 *F
Old 10-19-2013, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 750i X Drive
It's funny, I don't find the interior smaller in the F01, I'm sure I'm wrong. i love it! get a black interior though, the lighter colors are harder to keep clean. I had a very light beige in my e65 and it was a pain. And I don't have a problem with the cupholders at all or the center storage compartment. I think I'm just so happy to not have my Audi A6 that I only had for 1 year that this car is just perfect. No transmission issues at all in my 2011. It does drink oil but so did my e65 and the dealer tops it off for free so no big deal. RFTs suck but I switched them out already. The car is louder though when you're parked and the engine is on. Very loud. Dealer said it's normal. But they say that about everything...
Old 10-19-2013, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 750i
You can get a 2013 for about what your payments would be for a 2009 to 2011. Dealers are giving $15k off sticker on ALL 7's.

The engine alone makes it worthwhile getting a new one. JMO.

2013 750i (F01) :: M-Sport | Executive Pkg (BMW Apps / Ceramic Controls / Front Ventilated Seats / Power rear & side window sunshades rear sunshade / Smartphone Integration / Head-up Display / Instrument panel with Napa leather) | Rear Entertainment Pkg | 20" 303 5 spoke wheels
Old 10-19-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndavani View Post
You can get a 2013 for about what your payments would be for a 2009 to 2011. Dealers are giving $15k off sticker on ALL 7's.
And the M package is bundled in for free (if the dealer ordered it). They are doing that on the 2014's too. Otherwise it's a $3300 USD option.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 750Li
I've had a few things to deal with mechanically in my car. No big deals to me since I'm in warranty. Just time without the car is what gets to me. Bought car with 13,060 miles. I'm now up to 25,800. Time with car in shop, about 10 weeks over the past year.

Programming issues here and there: Always likes to forget its CBS Data(Oil change, vehicle check, brake fluid interval)-happened 3 times. 'MyInfo' and 'Messages' screens went MIA after one reprogram.
'Seat Calibration' reprogramming.
All injectors, spark plugs and a few coil packs replaced to take care of a rough idle.
Oil pump replaced to cure the 'whine'.
Rear air shock replaced.
Power steering pump to be replaced next week.(Causing dynamic drive issues)
I wish the transmission was smoother. Likes to give me a hard 2-1 downshift while coming to a stop, making me seem like an inept driver to any passengers. Transmission also seems 'lost' sometimes from coasting going back to accelerating.

I love the interior. Albeit, I had no other BMW to compare it with as this is my first.
I wish the steering wheel, besides moving up, would also retract when car is turned off.
Console is tight for storage, due to the phone cradle. I use the phone cradle, so I live with it. I also like it even more now that I can use iTunes radio and the songs appear in the iDrive.

Mileage is not the best around town, running errands or driving it like its a racecar. Didn't buy it to be 'Green'.
I did a trip from NJ to Charlotte to WDW to Atlanta to BMW Factory to Charlotte to NJ and was surprised how well I did with all the stops and idling along the way.

Did have a run-flat blowout from a pothole on front tire. Goodyear covered it with manufacturer roadhazard policy.(Tires installed or purchased before 11/12) With 10k on tire, it still had 9/32" left, only had to pay $53

I love the car and can live with its problems.

I even treated my car to a 'paint correction'. No more holograms or swirls! Two levels of compounding and then a synthetic wax and then a fancy carnauba wax on top of that. Pulled the wheels off the car & cleaned and waxed them individually.
Cleaned and conditioned the entire interior.
About 30 hours later it was done.
Sorry to go off on a tangent on the last paragraph, just trying to appease my car.
Maybe that'll keep her from getting sick!

As most others say, don't own this car without a warranty.

Happy car hunting!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iDriveTrip.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	402987   Click image for larger version

Name:	Detail4.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	402988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	402989  

Sprt Pkg, Conv. Pkg, Luxury Seat Pkg, Prem. Sound Pkg, Driver Assist Pkg, Heads Up, Cam Pkg, Ceramic, Sirius, Smartphone Integration. BSM/Black Napa/Ash Grain w/ RWS
Old 10-21-2013, 08:27 AM

(Sigh)

Well I test drove a blk/blk 2010 750li. I must say that it is a NICE car.

The interior is not as good as I thought it would be. In fact I like my current interior just as much. (Go figure)

Where this car excels over the E65/66 is the engine and gizmos. The Navigation, cameras and other features are top notch. I was expecting a bit more from the sound system...but maybe the EQ wasn't optimized. It took me a few days to get my Logic 7 to sound like a premium system.

The car is definitely faster. But smaller inside. I'm 6'3 270lbs so I appreciate the room.

So now I'm faced with a tough decision....and definitely should have NOT test drove the 2009 S63 that they had sitting there. The salesman could kinda tell that I was a bit underwhelmed...so he rushed me into the Benz..

The S63 in a BEAST. I might convert in April boys...

Please take no offense to my comments about the current 750. I think it is a great car and someone who hasn't had a Bimmer before would be amazed.

I'm still trying to figure out why they needed Twin Turbos to get 400hp out of a V8. That's pretty easy to do NA...even with 4.4L of displacement....is there a Liter cap over seas or something?
Old 10-21-2013, 08:37 AM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datrojan View Post
Thanks for the info guys!

I'm going to test drive one tomorrow so I will update this thread with my driving impressions.
DON'T DO IT..........

You will be HOOKED!!!! Game Over!

*edit*

Just read your last post... I can see your size and room concerns. My previous e65's def felt roomier up front initially. Now I am VERY satisfied and loving the inside and comfort.
But hey... If you snag the AMG, I won't be mad at cha'.

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 10-21-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:03 AM
TTurboFest

Mein Auto: F02 (750Li)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datrojan View Post
(Sigh)

Well I test drove a blk/blk 2010 750li. I must say that it is a NICE car.

The interior is not as good as I thought it would be. In fact I like my current interior just as much. (Go figure)

Where this car excels over the E65/66 is the engine and gizmos. The Navigation, cameras and other features are top notch. I was expecting a bit more from the sound system...but maybe the EQ wasn't optimized. It took me a few days to get my Logic 7 to sound like a premium system.

The car is definitely faster. But smaller inside. I'm 6'3 270lbs so I appreciate the room.

So now I'm faced with a tough decision....and definitely should have NOT test drove the 2009 S63 that they had sitting there. The salesman could kinda tell that I was a bit underwhelmed...so he rushed me into the Benz..

The S63 in a BEAST. I might convert in April boys...

Please take no offense to my comments about the current 750. I think it is a great car and someone who hasn't had a Bimmer before would be amazed.

I'm still trying to figure out why they needed Twin Turbos to get 400hp out of a V8. That's pretty easy to do NA...even with 4.4L of displacement....is there a Liter cap over seas or something?
Just so you know, 400hp BMW claims is extremely underrated .
These N63 motor are making 390HP AT the wheels = well over 400HP they claim .
Options: Camera Pkg, Convinience Pkg, Driver asst, F&R Luxury Seating, Prem/Sound, Rear Entertainment, Sport Pkg, Massage rear seats, Ceramic Controls, Active Cruise, SmarthPhone Int., Night Vision, Head-UP Display, Sat, Leather Wrapped Dash&Doors.
(N54 E82 135i) JB4 ISO FBO, 434whp & 470wtq / Run Conditions 90.28 *F
Old 10-21-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4XBMW7 View Post
Just so you know, 400hp BMW claims is extremely underrated .
These N63 motor are making 390HP AT the wheels = well over 400HP they claim .
I figured that much. I've seen various mid to low 13 second 1/4 miles time trapping near 105-109mph out of these new 750s. You can't do that in a 2 ton+ sedan with only 400hp.

As a comparison, I had a C5 coupe that weighed about 3200lbs. It had an LS1 with 350hp and ran the 1/4 mile in mid to low 13s with a 105-109moh trap.

You mean to tell mean that the new 750li does it with only 50 additional hp? Yea right.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:59 PM

Mein Auto: 750i F01 2009, 118d 2006
Well, i had E32( i think it was - my first 7 ), E38,E65 and now this "monster" . And i am very happy with the F01 750. I never thought about it before but maybee it s a bit smaller inside, but not much. But i think the car feels alot more agile ( 4 wheel steering etc ) and I dont think about its smaller in daily use. Feels more sporty defently .......... I guess because it is
Old 10-27-2013, 02:44 PM

I really liked my E65 alot, but the F01 is definitely more fun to drive. I've got some gripes about the presence of plastic parts, but my 13 with exec package replaced more of these parts with leather than my 11 so i'm less grumpy about it. These cars are going to be so insane with the BMS Stage II I can't even wait. Even stock I am in awe of the power this thing has.

2013 750i Mineral White
Previous Bimmers:
2011 750i Jet Black
2007 750i Monaco Blue
Old 10-27-2013, 09:22 PM
2009 F02

Mein Auto: 750li, XJ8
I have an 09. there is nothing like it for overall driving experience. the Benz is great if you want a great riding car. but if you want to be in the driver seat, the 7 (with the M sport package, ARS and 4 wheel steering) is off the hook, check my videos on the track.
I do wish I had the 4 wheel drive and the 8 speed tranny, those are the biggies that 09 did not have. not sure when the 8 speed tranny came in.

2009 750Li - Space Grau Metallic, Camera pkg, Conv pkg, Driver Asst pkg, Lux Seat pkg, Lux rear seat pkg, Prem sound pkg, Sport pkg, HUD, Massaging rear seats, Smartphone integration, Sat radio, MTEC H8 4750K Halo lights