Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 10-26-2013, 03:45 PM

Mein Auto: NA
DUI/Hit&Run on my 2014 X3, but driver at-fault was arressted

My new X3, which I purchased this May, had a hit&run by a drunk driver. My car was parked in the parking lot when the accident happened. The drunk driver drove a Ford F150 and hit the right corner of my car's back. Fortunately police officer arrested the driver and he is under charge of DUI and Hit&Run Unattended.

I am now in the process of repairing my car. After the bodyshop disassembled my car's trunk, they found that there is a lot of places deformed on the unibody. I looked at it and it was bad, really bad.

The bodyshop thinks it should be a total loss considering the damage is so severe and the pre-accident condition of the car is brand new (almost). Although we have the other party's insurance information, I am now using my own insurance company to repair my car since I had full coverage. My insurance company now estimates the repair to be over 10k and time over 1 month. I want to total out this car but my insurance company does not want to.

So, I thought about claiming diminished value against the party at-fault's insurance company then I can trade in my car after the repair and lose a small amount of money on this accident. But I got words that the drunk driver had a very small insurance coverage, meaning the insurance company would only pay up to a small amount, which is not enough to cover my car's repair and the diminished value.

What do you think I should do now? I have been running out of ideas. The accident happened at 3:00 in the morning and I did not know my car was hit until the next morning. Should I sue the other driver? Any thoughts from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!
Advertisement
Old 10-28-2013, 07:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3 35i
First thing that jumps to mind..... If the other guy only had minimal coverage, he/she might not have anything that's worth suing for. Your insurance company has people to go after the other guys insurance company to make sure they incur the least amount of a hit. Between the two... they aren't going to be able to get you a diminished value check ?

This is why I have upgraded my "Un-Insured / Under Insured" coverage with my insurance company, it will help fill the gaps in a situation like this. Too many low lifes out there in this day and age that drive around with no coverage at all putting everyone at risk.
2014 x3 35i - Bronze Metallic - Mojave Leather - Fineline Wave Trim - Cold Weather Pkg - Drivers Assistance Pkg w/ Top View Camera - Dynamic Handling Pkg - Premium Pkg - Technology Pkg - 309 Style Rims - X-Line Trim Pkg - Aluminum Roof Rails - Window Shades - Auto High Beams - Premium Sound.

2013 Ram 3500 - Laramie Limited Mega Cab w/ Cummins Diesel and Aisin Transmision