Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 10-26-2013, 03:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
OK - What's The Secret? - To Removing OverHead Console

I went to hard wire my radar detector today and I could not remove the overhead console.

I released the front and rear attachment points but there are apparently two more points, each adjacent to a reading light, that would not release. I applied about as much force as I felt prudent but they still would not release. There was also not sufficient space between the plastic trim plate and overhead liner to see in to see where a latch might need some help.

I am usually very good at this type of thing but this kicked my butt. Any good advice would be appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 10-27-2013, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
search for "v1 installation" on this board and there are pics. There are two tabs alng the sides that must be pressed in to release. Small screwdriver is the tool. Do not disconnect any cables or you'll need a trip to the bmw shop to reset the.

good luck!

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine
Old 10-27-2013, 03:18 PM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i-M Space Grey
There isn't a "rear attachment point". That thing is clipped in the front and the sides, and pulls down and to the back from the front (closest windshield). The back is just the plastic frame parts holding on to the headliner (dont try pulling down from the back, it will result in disappointment)

1) Make sure you aren't grabbing hold of the flimsy facade, and that your tool is grabbing the main plastic console frame. (when I pulled mine the facade piece popped loose on a couple of areas, but they snapped back in, no problem; it actually helped me get the pry tool in)

2) start from the front and work one corner out by the pry tool. Use either a second pry tool or your fingers (careful it can pinch..hard!). pulling will disengage the second front clip.

3) now it is more or less a matter of muscle...with firm grip on on the console piece, pull down...hard. its surprising how much force it takes, but it will pop loose.

As mentioned above **DO NOT** disconnect or otherwise disturb any wires up there from the console, it really makes the car's computers throw a fit.

Hope that helps!!
Old 10-27-2013, 05:40 PM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
OK - What's The Secret? - To Removing OverHead Console

I would suggest not doing a hardware at all. If there are some repairs needed on the console and the tech saw something not factory wiring, it would be an good excuse to void the whole module.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-27-2013, 07:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 335i Sedan
I have tried this several times to put the BMW Led lights in there and have not been able to get that piece off either, so I am eager to try this as well.

2010 335i Sedan, Space Gray, Sport, Premium, CA, iPod (retired)
2008 X3, Alpine White Sport Package - (retired)
2008 X3, Crimson Red, SA Package - (forcibly retired)
Old 10-28-2013, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i-M Space Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemo Panda View Post
I would suggest not doing a hardware at all. If there are some repairs needed on the console and the tech saw something not factory wiring, it would be an good excuse to void the whole module.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
If you do it right, the console wiring is not touched (and I would recommend NOT touching it). Power is tapped from the wire harness that goes down to the mirror (for the garage door opener), which is a different bundle of wires. Further, it would be on them to prove that tapping a wire caused the issue, which would also be difficult.

The only wire to tap should be the green/brown wire leading to the mirror. No others -at all- or you're asking for trouble