Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 xDRIVE35i PREMIUM
Cold start rattling sound?

Hi guys,

i'm just wondering if anybody had heard a rattling sound coming from the exhaust/etc on an 2013 x5? I have a 2013 x5(e70) bought brand new & notice a rattling sound when i start my car early in the morning, whether it's in the garage or on my driveway. 1st dealer said it was the flap from the muffler/exhaust. So they replaced it, but the sound still there. They they said it was coming from the heatshield. So they cleaned it out, but the sound was still there. Now they said it's the turbo. So they ordered a new turbo after filing for puma.

First time here & first time owning a bmw x5, anybody experience this?

Any info would be very much appreciated.
Ads by Google
Old 09-04-2013, 05:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiggs13 View Post
Hi guys,

i'm just wondering if anybody had heard a rattling sound coming from the exhaust/etc on an 2013 x5? I have a 2013 x5(e70) bought brand new & notice a rattling sound when i start my car early in the morning, whether it's in the garage or on my driveway. 1st dealer said it was the flap from the muffler/exhaust. So they replaced it, but the sound still there. They they said it was coming from the heatshield. So they cleaned it out, but the sound was still there. Now they said it's the turbo. So they ordered a new turbo after filing for puma.

First time here & first time owning a bmw x5, anybody experience this?

Any info would be very much appreciated.
Same exact problem here. 2013 X5

Rattle is so loud in my garage, my kids have to block their ears if they are outside the vehicle.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:06 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpydog View Post
Same exact problem here. 2013 X5

Rattle is so loud in my garage, my kids have to block their ears if they are outside the vehicle.
Its so loud child protective services took my kids from me?

Anyway....'cold start rattle' has been around- multiple causes. Response range from "its normal" to the OP, where they seem to be chasing it aggressively.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Its so loud child protective services took my kids from me?

Anyway....'cold start rattle' has been around- multiple causes. Response range from "its normal" to the OP, where they seem to be chasing it aggressively.
Haha! Question is, has anyone actually had this fixed by the dealer? Or just chased with no resolution?

Last edited by Lumpydog; 09-04-2013 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Typoed
Old 09-05-2013, 07:29 AM

Thanks guys for the info. Talking from the service consultant at the dealer, it's a common problem & when they filed puma, bmw replied right away & said replace the whole turbo. Sounds to me that these must have been quite an issue for puma/bmw reply that quickly. Hope it fixes the noise, 'cause I love the car don't get me wrong but it doesn't sound like $60-70,000 car to me.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Thanks guys for the info. Talking from the service consultant at the dealer, it's a common problem & when they filed puma, bmw replied right away & said replace the whole turbo. Sounds to me that these must have been quite an issue for puma/bmw reply that quickly. Hope it fixes the noise, 'cause I love the car don't get me wrong but it doesn't sound like $60-70,000 car to me.
Please let us know about the result! If it fixes, I will pursue the same
Old 09-05-2013, 10:30 AM

Yup, i'll update my post....
Old 10-23-2013, 10:04 PM

UPDATE!!!
turbo has been replaced, but the rattling sound is still there. so I ended up talking to the service manager & head mechanic about it & decided that they are going to re-submit another case w/ puma about the noise. the head mechanic also showed me the turbo that they removed off my X5 & have me convinced that it's the waste gate in the turbo that makes the sound. is there any solution to this rattling noise w/out having passenger exhaust flap open the whole time. I would love to have the car as designed but w/out the rattling sound....

any suggestions????
Old 10-23-2013, 10:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 530I Sport
Cold start rattling sound?

The first thing you need to do is get your money back from that dealer!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-24-2013, 03:50 AM

Quote:
UPDATE!!!
turbo has been replaced, but the rattling sound is still there. so I ended up talking to the service manager & head mechanic about it & decided that they are going to re-submit another case w/ puma about the noise. the head mechanic also showed me the turbo that they removed off my X5 & have me convinced that it's the waste gate in the turbo that makes the sound. is there any solution to this rattling noise w/out having passenger exhaust flap open the whole time. I would love to have the car as designed but w/out the rattling sound....

any suggestions????
Excellent update. Keep at them. It may be that the turbos have some high percentage of faulty design and it takes trying a few replacements to get a good one.

Please continue to keep us updated. It's really helpful.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002-530I View Post
The first thing you need to do is get your money back from that dealer!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
That looks like a warranty job - no money spent. Just time wasted.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:09 PM

I'm hoping my complaint is enough to make bmw engineers have permanent fixes to this. It sounds like lots of x5 owners have this same situation for a while.... I've always thought that bmw are built to perfection & to last as the ultimate driving machine? Hmmmmm????
Old 10-28-2013, 12:07 AM

Mein Auto: E83 X3 and E70 X5
yeah, there's some sound if we're paying attention because everyone is checking out each other's problem but it's not too loud. It goes away quite fast. If it's really loud then it's a big problem. The dealer checked and said it's normal for a turbo motor. My last turbo was in the 80's ... don't remember if it made that rattling noise after startup other than the nice whine when spooling up when on the go.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
Quote:
I'm hoping my complaint is enough to make bmw engineers have permanent fixes to this.
Yes, permanent fix right this moment.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:29 PM

I recently sold my 1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 w/ only 42k miles & it has twin turbo but it doesn't make that rattling sound. I understand that they are different cars but turbo are same use... & I didn't expect a $69k+ Car.. And like I said before from what I knew bmw are SUPPOSED to be built very good, back in the days that is.. & as they publicized " ultimate driving machine". .???
Old 12-03-2013, 08:49 PM

Mein Auto: X5
timing chain tensor problems

Quote:
UPDATE!!!

any suggestions????
hi there
may be its the timing chain problems... when its star, there no oil pressure or too low....maybe cause that noise....if still after 20 seconds...replace the timing chain tensor (its leaking) and you can damage your engine because you have a leak in the whole system...check the oil pressure to be sure its no coming from the timing chain
Old 12-03-2013, 08:56 PM

Mein Auto: X5
gps navigation

I want to know what if need it to add a gps navigation to bmw x5/2013 3.5i??this car has a idrive knob,but small screen,no navigation...thanks for help