Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 10-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 750i
Adam,

Yeow, $20K for that? Have you seen Hughes that started out at about $10K? His looked not too much different than yours, and the unibody had to be redone. I take it that they just pounded it out, right?

Star Auto,

I think they can have it looking like new, as well, but I'm not so sure about the ride and subsequent rattles. If this was just a body thing like Huges and Adam, I wouldn't be concerned. When airbags are deployed, and the wheel is pointing 10 degrees off of where it should, that's another story,
Old 10-06-2013, 05:40 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 750li, Mercedes SL600
Great opportunity to get the car replaced and have the dealer work a good deal on the new car.

Of course, the insurance wants to use a standard formula but there is no reason to accept that..
I recently had a 2013 Mercedes SL totaled due to a hydro locked engine. Car was 3 months old, $121k with a min. $70k + engine replacement cost. Definitely below 70%, but I refused to drive a car that could have non-warranty corrosion/electronics issues in the future. They totaled the car a week later...
Old 10-06-2013, 05:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
Took a look at the bill that I had scanned in. Original estimate - 5k. Final costs, 17k + 1800 rental car so actually 18.8. Hughes damage looked a little bit less than mine on the exterior but I didn't take a look at his uni body work up close.

Car had to be disassembled and placed on one of those body straighteners with the laser aligner. Looks like total labor was about $10.7k, with only 1000 for frame labor since it was relatively minor - just hard to get to. At a quick glance the most expensive items were the door at 1055, left rear side panel at 1070, door sill at 300, and then lots of smaller parts, seals, gaskets, fasteners, that were under 100 each. 500 wheel re-alignment. 1600 paint labor and 850 in paint.

The car looked perfect in terms of panels fitting and paint matching, but i wouldn't go so far as to say it looked brand new as a result of their ****ty color sanding and subsequent polishing. They told me I could come back in and they'd fix it up, but in my experience anyone who can't polish something right the first time doesn't have the technique down to get it right a second time. Been there in the past with other vehicles. Once my detailer went over the car it looked better.

People need to pay attention to the road when they're driving their damned cars. Real pain in the ass to commit the time involved to get this stuff fixed even if its on their dollar.

Should add the impact to my car really didn't feel very hard. Maybe around 20-30mph. My car wasn't even moved out of its lane. No warnings or triggering a BMW assist call.

2013 750i Mineral White
Previous Bimmers:
2011 750i Jet Black
2007 750i Monaco Blue

Last edited by AdamG13; 10-06-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
I recently had a 2013 Mercedes SL totaled due to a hydro locked engine. Car was 3 months old, $121k with a min. $70k + engine replacement cost. Definitely below 70%, but I refused to drive a car that could have non-warranty corrosion/electronics issues in the future. They totaled the car a week later...
Whoa. Was it driven into a lake?

2013 750i Mineral White
Previous Bimmers:
2011 750i Jet Black
2007 750i Monaco Blue
Old 10-06-2013, 06:07 PM
2009 F02

Mein Auto: 750li, XJ8
I agree with people need to pay attention. the woman that hit my car just backed out of her parking space without looking. waiting to see what they do with my car.
they did not put my car on any frame straightener. they cut the door frame beyond the damage and replaced the bent metal. When I get the car back I will scan in the repair bill.
initial estimates always seem low balled. I think the body shops do that just to get the job in the door, then point out the real damage.

2009 750Li - Space Grau Metallic, Camera pkg, Conv pkg, Driver Asst pkg, Lux Seat pkg, Lux rear seat pkg, Prem sound pkg, Sport pkg, HUD, Massaging rear seats, Smartphone integration, Sat radio, MTEC H8 4750K Halo lights
Old 10-06-2013, 07:20 PM

Mein Auto: 750i sport
Push for getting it totaled. I would not want to drive a car after such expansive repairs. Anytime I had body work done, regardless of how great it looked it always felt off. The wind noise gets worse, random rattles in parts that were repaired. Basically never feels the same. Good luck!
Old 10-06-2013, 07:52 PM

Thanks Wolf, Adam, Ice, and Hughes. I've picked up some valuable pointers that I'll be using on Monday and Tuesday. I also captured the pictures of the damage that were posted and sent them to my phone. I will show them to the collision center and ask how my estimate can be so much lower than your costs, but my damage was greater.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:08 PM

Mein Auto: 750i 740i 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by texgeekboy View Post
Adam,

Yeow, $20K for that? Have you seen Hughes that started out at about $10K? His looked not too much different than yours, and the unibody had to be redone. I take it that they just pounded it out, right?

Star Auto,

I think they can have it looking like new, as well, but I'm not so sure about the ride and subsequent rattles. If this was just a body thing like Huges and Adam, I wouldn't be concerned. When airbags are deployed, and the wheel is pointing 10 degrees off of where it should, that's another story,
Yep, you hit it on the nail Tex, a competent shop can make it look like "new" but when an airbag goes off (esp. side), it'll never "act" new again. Used to work in a body shop ages ago, we did some amazing work (I was detailing cars then), but we all knew no matter what we did if the damage was bad, the car would never be the same.

The owner's wife messed up their E320 (mid 90s, the ones built like tanks), airbag went off. Once we saw the damage, he said if it were a customer's car, he'd be happy to repair it. It wasn't though... and 3 weeks later he got her a new one. Insurance paid out since he was happy to take apart what was needed to show the damage to the adjuster (it would have been double the ins. co estimate if they proceeded with it).

Lots of these body shop people are (if you're lucky) artists in their own right. They can turn a complete mess into something remarkable, but, none of these body shop folks are engineers.

F01 750i Dark Graphite Metallic
M-Sport | Driver Assistance | Luxury Seating | Camera | Convenience | Premium Sound | 20" 303M Wheels | Ceramic Controls
MODS: BMS Stage 1 Tune | PedalBox | M-Sport Paddle Shift Steering Wheel | 5000k HID | Tint | Coded.
E38 740i Jet Black
Sport | PDC | Convenience | Sunshade | Navigation
MODS: Paddle Shift Retrofit | Brushed Aluminum Gauge Rings | Tint | MKIV NAV | 4500K HID | 3M DiNOC Carbon Fiber Trim | Heated Seats | Coded
Old 10-07-2013, 08:42 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
Re: My Car was Crunched Bad, Any Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman5 View Post
Push for getting it totaled. I would not want to drive a car after such expansive repairs. Anytime I had body work done, regardless of how great it looked it always felt off. The wind noise gets worse, random rattles in parts that were repaired. Basically never feels the same. Good luck!
All of THIS!

Sucks bad to see all of this F0 carnage.

Glad you're okay.

Sent from my M6 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-08-2013, 03:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5d 2011 750xi
Looks like a total loss to me, especially considering if the rear passenger suspension was damaged..
Old 10-08-2013, 03:59 PM

I was able to get some info on salvage value for 750s in Houston. They base it on a percent of the dealer sale price from edmunds (that's what I was told), which is $35K for my car. For a car with more damage than mine, it went for 44% of the value, or over $15K. That, plus the damage estimate will make me happy. The only problem is that I haven't heard back from the salesguy who was to arrange it to be sold to a salvage guy. I hope to hear from him tomorrow.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:27 PM

Resolved - New '14 750i

The crash happened on 9/28. In a relatively quick 11 days (10/9), everything was resolved. I got a check from the others drivers insurance company for a little over $16K for the repairs, and I sold the hulk to a salvage guy for $16K, which got me to $32K, a decent value for the sale before the accident. Additionally, the salvage guy and the dealer worked to use his bit as a trade in, so another $1K was knocked off of tax for the new car. The salvage guy will be fixing it up for sale somewhere. I was also able to get some money for my unused extended warranty and my renewal for BMW assist (although I'm not sure of the final total). I also got a credit for my unused portion of the SiriusXM license (nearly a year). Most amazingly, I had bought the Texas registration sticker for next year, but had not put it on the car. I found out I can get a refund on that!

I took delivery of a new '14 750i on 10/15, and I'm pretty happy with the car (the unplanned expense, not so much). It had all the options I loved in my '09 plus;

1) ventilated seats
2) HUD
3) All around cameras
4) 19" wheels (I had 18, these are way nicer).
5) All leather dash
6) Power shades on the rear windows
7) The thing to prevent front impacts (don't recall the name).

I lost the 6 disc CD changer, which I never used. The one thing I do miss is the lighted door sills. This car has the M package, so the logo there is nice, but the lighted BMW was still better.

With an additional 49 HP, the full Office stuff, truly white (LED) angel eyes, and way better Navigation, I'm set.

Last edited by texgeekboy; 10-19-2013 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Added note about angel eyes
Old 10-19-2013, 02:36 PM

Congrats on the new ride. I don't get why they don't illuminate the M door sills. It's cool that they're standard on the non-m's because mercedes charges $600+ for that option

2013 750i Mineral White
Previous Bimmers:
2011 750i Jet Black
2007 750i Monaco Blue
Old 10-19-2013, 05:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 750i x drive
My Car was Crunched Bad, Any Thoughts?

Quote:
The crash happened on 9/28. In a relatively quick 11 days (10/9), everything was resolved. I got a check from the others drivers insurance company for a little over $16K for the repairs, and I sold the hulk to a salvage guy for $16K, which got me to $32K, a decent value for the sale before the accident. Additionally, the salvage guy and the dealer worked to use his bit as a trade in, so another $1K was knocked off of tax for the new car. The salvage guy will be fixing it up for sale somewhere. I was also able to get some money for my unused extended warranty and my renewal for BMW assist (although I'm not sure of the final total). I also got a credit for my unused portion of the SiriusXM license (nearly a year). Most amazingly, I had bought the Texas registration sticker for next year, but had not put it on the car. I found out I can get a refund on that!

I took delivery of a new '14 750i on 10/15, and I'm pretty happy with the car (the unplanned expense, not so much). It had all the options I loved in my '09 plus;

1) ventilated seats
2) HUD
3) All around cameras
5) All leather dash

I lost the 6 disc CD changer, which I never used. The one thing I do miss is the lighted door sills. This car has the M package, so the logo there is nice, but the lighted BMW was still better.

With an additional 49 HP, the full Office stuff, truly white (LED) angel eyes, and way better Navigation, I'm set.
Congratulations on your new 2014 750i.

What are the exterior/interior colors?

Post a picture for all to see.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2014 750ix M Sport
Old 10-20-2013, 06:50 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Congratulations! I hope the new ride works out for you...sounds like a gem! Enjoy!

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 10-20-2013, 10:50 PM
Gib mir Feurschutz!

Quote:

1) ventilated seats
2) HUD
3) All around cameras
5) All leather dash

Should take some pictures...

Mind if I ask - did you lease or finance/purchase/cash?

2013 BMW 750i - Coded, Executive, Lighting, Cold Weather, M Sport, M 303 Wheels, 5% Tint, Conti DWS Tires, 3M Bra, Vinyl Black Gloss Roof Wrap, Exhaust Flap Mod.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:17 AM

Mein Auto: e36 m3, X5, 74 2002
next time I get hit I'm gonna try the same route you went with, good info!
Old 10-21-2013, 06:13 PM

Thanks all for the response. I'll be posting some pictures of my new coche in a couple of days (I got some volunteer work keeping me too busy, along with the pesky day job).

For Chris, I don't lease cars because I drive them until the wheels fall off. That's what made me so mad about my '09 750 getting creamed a day before its fourth birthday. I wanted to have it for another 4 years or so. I purchased the '14 like I did the '09.

Which is a good segue to Mr. Blahh's post. My method will work only if you own the car outright. The insurance guy didn't even want to talk about it until he realized I owned it. He had a quick look at the title and thought he saw someone else, and he did which was my wife. So, if you finance or lease it, I don't think my route will work. I'm not sure what the insurance guy would do, but he wouldn't make out a check just to my wife an me if there was a lienholder.

Last edited by texgeekboy; 10-27-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:06 PM

Here is some pictures of the '14 750i. The color is glacier silver metallic, which is a lot lighter than my last one (I like it a lot). I got 19" wheels with the M thingy majig. After looking at them and the old 18" ones, I was surprised I even liked the old ones. The interior is black like the old one. After a week or so, I discovered that I didn't get the auto headlight-dimming feature, which I used frequently. The salesguy said most of the cars that come in don't have that feature. I asked if it could be dealer-installed, and he said it couldn't.

Oh well, I'll take the HUD over the headlight dimming anyday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	404324   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	404325   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	404326  
Old 10-27-2013, 12:27 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
Re: My Car was Crunched Bad, Any Thoughts?

Congrats!

Bimmer App on HTC-One
Old 10-27-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Here is some pictures of the '14 750i. The color is glacier silver metallic, which is a lot lighter than my last one (I like it a lot). I got 19" wheels with the M thingy majig. After looking at them and the old 18" ones, I was surprised I even liked the old ones. The interior is black like the old one. After a week or so, I discovered that I didn't get the auto headlight-dimming feature, which I used frequently. The salesguy said most of the cars that come in don't have that feature. I asked if it could be dealer-installed, and he said it couldn't.

Oh well, I'll take the HUD over the headlight dimming anyday.
Yeah, those base 18 wheels kinda suck. When I picked up my 2011 the sales guy and i were kinda surprised they were even standard on the 750. Should have given those to the 740 guys along with single tail pipes as punishment for not doing the right thing and getting the v8!

2013 750i Mineral White
Previous Bimmers:
2011 750i Jet Black
2007 750i Monaco Blue
Old 10-27-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamG13 View Post
Yeah, those base 18 wheels kinda suck. When I picked up my 2011 the sales guy and i were kinda surprised they were even standard on the 750. Should have given those to the 740 guys along with single tail pipes as punishment for not doing the right thing and getting the v8!
My new car actually came with 20 inch wheels. I took it for a spin, and thought the ride was a little choppy. The salesguy tried adjusting the drive mode, but it was still hard IMHO. I said I would buy the car, but they would have to swap out the 20s for some 19s I chose on a nearby 750 with the M option (I got a credit as well). The wheels on the 19 were more to my liking. I put about 1.5K miles/month on the car, and so will go through tires in about 20-24 months. The thin wall 20s are pretty pricey at that frequency.

I won't go back to the 18s at this point for any future purchases.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:47 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 750li, Mercedes SL600
My Car was Crunched Bad, Any Thoughts?

I am a bit puzzled. What exactly does a auto headlight dimming feature do?

While driving or after parking??

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-28-2013, 08:16 PM

In the '09 it worked while driving. It was activated by a little button on the turn signal. There is only one there now, and that works the display stuff shown in the dash. In the '09 there were two. The top one did the dash, and the bottom turned the auto dim on/off. It turned on the bright beams when the device detected there weren't any cars coming, or that weren't too close in front of you, i.e., the red tail lights. It even dimmed them if you went into an urban area and there was enough ambient light. All in all it worked okay enough to have them on constantly and not have to worry about the bright beams bothering another driver. The only time they kinda consistently messed up is when the car came around a 90 degree turn and they were pretty close before it detected them.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: 750i X Individual Pkg
I'm a fellow Texan, and wanted to give you props for your new 750! Really looks great, and the M sport pkg. makes all the difference IMHO.
2009 X3 30i: Black Sapphire Met / Oyster Leather (going SOON)
2008 Z4 M Coupe: Interlagos Blue / Blk Ext Leather

Other (occasional use):
2004 MBZ S600 designo Espresso Edition, Lorinser Pkg "1 of 250"
2004 MBZ CL600 designo Espresso Edition "1 of 1"
1972 MBZ 280SEL 4.5 V8