Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 750li
Help Oil went where steering fluid should

Holy smokes. I put 5w-30synthetic oil in what I now think is the power steering fluid dump. Can I drive it to the shop or should I suction it out and refill, have it towed?
Also I have not driven the car since I did this...bone head. My wife is even in disbelief.
Advertisement
Old 10-28-2013, 07:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 750Li
drain it, its that simple. If you never turn on the engine just turkey base it out, if you ran the engine loosen the hose and let all the oil run out with the engine running.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 750li
Okay well I turned the engine on for about 2 minutes, before I realized what I had done. I did not go anywhere. Do you think I could get it to the shop or should I tow it?
I could definitely turkey baster it out, but you mentioned If I started the care I should drain it? Thanks Nygil
Old 10-28-2013, 07:55 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 750Li
If you look at the power steering fill can there is a hose, get you something to catch the fluid and let it drain in your catch can, you should get most of it out but if you want to make sure remove hose at pump and let it drain and the refill with CHF 11S fluid.
if you want to tow it its up to you but its a simple diy.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:05 PM
Local Enthusiast

Mein Auto: E65,P71 Police Intercept.
As nygel said. You can disconnect one of the hoses and pump out the old fluid with the engine running. Fill up and turn the steering wheel from lock to lock. You should repeat this twice to make sure you get out all of the contamination. The only problem is that the Pentosin CHF fluid is expensive. What is more expensive though is if you drive it the way it is and cause damage to the steering rack or power steering pump.

. 360infiniteusa Angel Eyes . H&R Springs . mObridge AUX Integration .
Old 10-29-2013, 02:50 AM

Mein Auto: 03 BMW 745i, 06 BMW 750Li
And then You need to bleed Dynamic Drive system-if equipped