Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 750li
brake fluid service change due

just recently got a 2007 bmw 750li it is my secondary car has barely gotten driven. I got a notification that a brake fluid service is due I was wondering if anyone has done this if it is easy to do or something only a bmw dealership should handle? if so curious what that typically runs since im a new bmw owner I wasn't quite sure. thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 05-26-2013, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 760Li

You can do it yourself with a small vacuum pump if you're mechanically inclined. The dealer's service will be a little more compressive and will run between $100-$200.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-26-2013, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 750i

Buy a motive power bleeder. It is an easy job. Start with right rear, left rear, right front, then left front. I usually jack up the car and put on jack stands. Remove wheels to expose brake bleed screws. You should do this every 2 years. Buy Super Blue Brake Fluid to see the color change when draining old fluid. Use the Gold color the next time.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 745i
I did mine at a service center for under 100 bucks. They used a special machine by Valvoline and changed it out using the proper Valvoline fluid for our vehicles.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:13 PM

The problem with most indys or do it yourself guys is that you don't bleed the fluid from the abs unit. You shouldn't need to remove the wheels if you can get under the car.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSnoop View Post
The problem with most indys or do it yourself guys is that you don't bleed the fluid from the abs unit. You shouldn't need to remove the wheels if you can get under the car.
OK...so I will start by saying that I am no mechanic & know very little about car repair or maintenance. Having said that, I have extra time on my hands & am willing to try easy DIY jobs to save a buck or two & give me something to do. My little yellow car symbol showed up on my dash & it turns out I need to change my brake fluid. After reading this thread & watching a YouTube video on how to do it I think I will give this DIY a try. The one thing the video & this thread did not help me with was how to bleed the ABS unit that you mentioned above. Any info on how I can do this ABS bleed would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:29 PM

If you're going to do it yourself, I wouldn't bother with the abs. I'm not sure if you can activate it with INPA or if you need some other dealer system.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:31 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by dommm View Post
OK...so I will start by saying that I am no mechanic & know very little about car repair or maintenance. Having said that, I have extra time on my hands & am willing to try easy DIY jobs to save a buck or two & give me something to do. My little yellow car symbol showed up on my dash & it turns out I need to change my brake fluid. After reading this thread & watching a YouTube video on how to do it I think I will give this DIY a try. The one thing the video & this thread did not help me with was how to bleed the ABS unit that you mentioned above. Any info on how I can do this ABS bleed would be greatly appreciated.
Ok go here and look at the one man brake bleed video, its very helpful.
http://www.diye65e66.com/videos/
Old 10-28-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nygel View Post
Ok go here and look at the one man brake bleed video, its very helpful.
http://www.diye65e66.com/videos/
Thanks for the link....that is the exact video I mentioned that I had watched when I did my YouTube search....both to make the pressure tank (a DIY alternative to wjjklj's suggestion) & to bleed the brakes....there was mention of the ABS unit in the bleeding video, but only in passing & I was left with the impression that it was not all that important..SuperSnoop brought up the ABS bleeding issue in his post above but then in his next post also leaves the impression that bleeding the ABS unit is not really needed....I just thought that since I was going to give this DIY job a go I might as well go all the way if it is possible for me to do it? Maybe doing the ABS unit is not possible for a lay person?
Old 10-28-2013, 07:17 AM

follow your brake line.......... It comes from the master cylinder to the ABS module then to the wheel.

Last edited by Nygel; 10-28-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
I make sure to bleed the brakes fluid every 2 years, but since my indy charges about $110 to do it, I am not going to go through the time to lift the car, remove the wheels. Too much for $110.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 745i
Quote:
I make sure to bleed the brakes fluid every 2 years, but since my indy charges about $110 to do it, I am not going to go through the time to lift the car, remove the wheels. Too much for $110.
Agreed, for the very few bucks saved, the Indy can have this job. AND they do it in a fraction of the time I can.

2008 Lexus LS 460
20" TSW Strip Wheels on Staggered Falken FK452
Old 10-28-2013, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 E65 750i
I recall being told that bleeding the brakes required activating the DSC via DIS ....

But, if you look in the TIS, there are 2 sections:

"Replacing fluid ...." is simply the methods mentioned above
http://bmw.workshop-manuals.com/7_Se...ex.php?id=1260

"Bleeding brake system is DSC" applies when REPAIRING/REPLACING brake system components, i.e. air has entered hydraulic system ...
http://bmw.workshop-manuals.com/7_Se...ex.php?id=1262

Is DIS, here is the path to get the DSC bleeding test plan:
Function selection->Service functions->Chassis->Wheel-slip control system->DSC->Bleeding,DSC hydraulics

And the screenshot from the test plan describing air bubble trapping ....
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_bleeding.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	494.2 KB
ID:	404410
Old 10-28-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
follow your brake line.......... It comes from the master cylinder to the ABS module then to the wheel.
OK...thanks......would you know if the ABS unit is fitted with a nipple similar to what is on each wheel? If so then I would assume the bleeding of the ABS unit would be the same as bleeding each wheel & I'm also assuming the bleeding sequence would then be passenger back/driver back/ABS unit/passenger front/driver front?

TIA
Old 10-28-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfrog View Post
Agreed, for the very few bucks saved, the Indy can have this job. AND they do it in a fraction of the time I can.
I hear what you & jayb328i are saying but time is on my side...retired & looking for something to do
Old 10-28-2013, 08:58 AM

Actually the fluid will pass through the ABS then get to the wheel, so if you used the blue fluid and you get it at the wheel its in the abs module.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
Okay--if you are going to do it, make sure that you are double safe your lift while being under the car. I would not only put the 4 stands in each corner, but put additional protection to make sure it does not fall on you. Too many stories of that happening.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Actually the fluid will pass through the ABS then get to the wheel, so if you used the blue fluid and you get it at the wheel its in the abs module.
OK...so it sounds like the ABS unit will get new brake fluid without doing anything to the unit individually.

I also opened the link gkent placed in his reply & the TIS in the first section does not mention the ABS unit. Thanks for all your replies & I will let everyone know how I got along.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb328i View Post
Okay--if you are going to do it, make sure that you are double safe your lift while being under the car. I would not only put the 4 stands in each corner, but put additional protection to make sure it does not fall on you. Too many stories of that happening.
Thanks for your concern & tip.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:23 PM
Local Enthusiast

Mein Auto: E65,P71 Police Intercept.
All you are doing is replacing the fluid so you don't need to mess with the dsc. All you need is a motive brake bleeder and blue brake fluid which makes the job so much easier. You can order both from bavauto.com. The most important thing is to make sure you don't get any air in the system. Keep an eye on the reservoir and make sure it is always full during the procedure.

. 360infiniteusa Angel Eyes . H&R Springs . mObridge AUX Integration .
Old 10-28-2013, 10:43 PM

Mein Auto: '95 840Ci, '05 745Li
BTW, I was just researching the ATE fluid and the blue stuff has been recalled because it is...um...too blue. I guess our government only wants clear or amber. The gold is still available.

http://news.yahoo.com/blue-brake-flu...151015233.html

Last edited by dvanlare; 10-28-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:53 AM
Local Enthusiast

Mein Auto: E65,P71 Police Intercept.
Yea the DOT outlawed it here in the states because it is blue so you won't find it off any store shelf. It is sold online with the disclaimer that it is for off road use only. There is nothing wrong with the product itself.

. 360infiniteusa Angel Eyes . H&R Springs . mObridge AUX Integration .