Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Used 2012 X5d inspection advice

Looking to buy a 2012 X5d with 9k miles, following pkgs:

Premium pkg
Sports activity pkg
Premium sound pkg
Cold weather pkg
Y-spoke wheels with spare tire
nevada leather

$45,450

price is reasonable, truck drives well, however I think I definitely need to take it for a pre-purchase inspection.

What are the things I should be concerned of at the inspection, and could anyone pls suggest a good indy mechanic for the inspection in DFW area. Any help greatly appreciated guys!
Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 10-23-2013, 04:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
Used 2012 X5d inspection advice

With that low mileage I would ask the dealer for the repair history. Look for repeated service visits and make sure it's not a BMW buy back, whereby BMW repurchased the car to avoid it going through lemon law. If that's the case you have to walk away from it. Ask your Indy to focus on evidence of collision damage by measuring paint depth on every panel.
I bought a BMW exec 2012 X5d with 10k miles in May and its been great. I wish I had had it inspected because I now suspect the passenger rear door has been resprayed, yet the Carfax is clean as a whistle. I think it was the door only and the repair was well done except for one tiny paint imperfection on the bottom edge of the inner door shell which I noticed while washing the car. I might be wrong and it's possible it was never resprayed, but if it has been I would have negotiated add'l $$$ off.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 10-23-2013, 05:31 PM

Thanks, FredoinSF. Will keep in mind ur advice when I take it for inspection tmrw. I am purchasing from a dealer and not a BMW dealership. Wondering if there is any way for me to access service records? Carfax is clean and blank.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:08 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: X5 50i
Do the following:

First, ask (or stipulate to) the selling dealer that if they want to sell you the car, they should contact the nearest BMW dealer, provide them with the VIN, and ask for a print-out of the 2013 BMW of North America "Warranty Vehicle Inquiry".

If the selling dealer is not willing to do this, go to the BMW dealership yourself, introduce yourself (after all, now's as good a time as any to develop that friendly relationship with a SA), give them the VIN and ask for the "Warranty Vehicle Inquiry". The dealer may tell you that they can't provide you with the information because the document is stamped CONFIDENTIAL. Tell them you don't need a copy, you just want to know what's in it.

But be aware, this document will not tell you if the car has been in an accident/collision and/or had any body repair done outside of warranty!

If the information meets your expectations, then go for a PPI. Some BMW dealerships will provide this service as well ... it's up to you where you spend your money ...
BMWCCA #20645
Old 10-23-2013, 07:24 PM

PAX5, thanks for the info, I am gonna try to do that tmrw. So wat would that document reveal? service records or just verification that vehicle is under warranty; which I am assuming the vehicle shud be as its well within 4yrs/50k miles.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:33 PM
Freude am Fahren

Everything that has ever been done to the car at any BMW dealership since it was put in service, which isn't much more than likely, with only 9K mi. Although some of the work description may be in "code", if any.
BMWCCA #20645
Old 10-23-2013, 07:40 PM

Thanks, PAX5. Hopefully I can get it, if not, I'll just trust the pre-inspecting Indy. Decoding the VIN reveals it was mnf. in Sept. 2012, carfax says was purchased in Nov 2012, and its been on the dealer lot since july 2013, so it was on road for 8 months, locally in Dallas.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:52 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
Do the following:

First, ask (or stipulate to) the selling dealer that if they want to sell you the car, they should contact the nearest BMW dealer, provide them with the VIN, and ask for a print-out of the 2013 BMW of North America "Warranty Vehicle Inquiry".

If the selling dealer is not willing to do this, go to the BMW dealership yourself, introduce yourself (after all, now's as good a time as any to develop that friendly relationship with a SA), give them the VIN and ask for the "Warranty Vehicle Inquiry". The dealer may tell you that they can't provide you with the information because the document is stamped CONFIDENTIAL. Tell them you don't need a copy, you just want to know what's in it.

But be aware, this document will not tell you if the car has been in an accident/collision and/or had any body repair done outside of warranty!

If the information meets your expectations, then go for a PPI. Some BMW dealerships will provide this service as well ... it's up to you where you spend your money ...
Bad advice. A dealer print out of service history- or a carfax- is NOT A REPLAEMENT FOR A PPI. Cars can be damaged and repaired and it never shows up on the BMW record. Or it shows up on carfax 6 months AFTER you buy it,,,and youll have zero recourse

PPI
Old 10-23-2013, 07:53 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

and do not trust a PPI arranged by the selling dealer or their buddy

]
Old 10-24-2013, 04:12 AM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Bad advice. A dealer print out of service history- or a carfax- is NOT A REPLAEMENT FOR A PPI. Cars can be damaged and repaired and it never shows up on the BMW record. Or it shows up on carfax 6 months AFTER you buy it,,,and youll have zero recourse

PPI
ARD, I (we) can always count on you being contrarian ... take the time to read my advice carefully and you will discover that I said "But be aware, this document will not tell you if the car has been in an accident/collision and/or had any body repair done outside of warranty!" and that this document will contain "Everything that has ever been done to the car at any BMW dealership since it was put in service .." and then "If the information meets your expectations, then go for a PPI ...".

So:
- first get the car's background information,
- then get a PPI (at a location of your choice ...)

It's a waste of time to have to regurgitate the same information for the benefit of a careless reader, but I'll humor you this time ... I think the OP understood perfectly what I recommended and I hope he'll do it that way.
BMWCCA #20645
Old 10-24-2013, 04:25 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

^^ ok

Old 10-25-2013, 07:44 AM

PAX5, Ard...thanks guys. PAX5 I followed ur advice word by word yesterday, calling BMW was useless, so I went straight to the indy i researched and chose, while the PPI was being done, he logged into BMW's system and pulled all the records, the car has never been to service there which according to him is not unusual as it was on road from Dec 2012 to july 2013 with 9k miles on it. So we went through the PPI very thoroughly, asked them to look for any collision/repaint evidence, nothing...everything seems in good condition except for medium tire wear. So with all done, I think I'll make the jump and have faith in 4yr/50k if something fails Will post pics soon!!
Old 10-29-2013, 07:30 AM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh57 View Post
PAX5, Ard...thanks guys. PAX5 I followed ur advice word by word yesterday, calling BMW was useless, so I went straight to the indy i researched and chose, while the PPI was being done, he logged into BMW's system and pulled all the records, the car has never been to service there which according to him is not unusual as it was on road from Dec 2012 to july 2013 with 9k miles on it. So we went through the PPI very thoroughly, asked them to look for any collision/repaint evidence, nothing...everything seems in good condition except for medium tire wear. So with all done, I think I'll make the jump and have faith in 4yr/50k if something fails Will post pics soon!!
OK, great!

Curious to know how your Indy had access to the BMW (proprietary) system ... Do you know what he logged into?

Can't wait to see the pics.
BMWCCA #20645
Old 10-29-2013, 07:46 AM

He said that he used to work there and have trained a few SA's who work there....I am not sure what he logged into but the print out I got has all info except previous customer's info which he tore off for privacy reasons. Picked the truck yesterday, still getting used to the Diesel noise, so far loving it

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
OK, great!

Curious to know how your Indy had access to the BMW (proprietary) system ... Do you know what he logged into?

Can't wait to see the pics.