Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 M Roadster, 2010 M5
Thumbs up Starting to enjoy my X5D

After driving my 2010 X5D for 64K miles I am starting to really enjoy the ride handling and finally, the reliability. I had numerous recalls, failed emissions electronics and a failed urea tank pump and a dead battery at 50k miles. Since then the car has been very reliable and I am starting to trust it on trips. Still getting 28 MPG on 300 mile trips to our lake cabin in Wisconsin going 75 to 80 mph on interstate and 62 mph on secondary highway. Also love the torque and the passing ability at highway speeds. Have always like the looks and drivability of the X5 but place a lot of value on reliability and almost sold this car when it hit 50k miles due to repeated issues. Knock on wood but it appears these issues are in the past, at least for now.
Advertisement
Old 10-28-2013, 09:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
Starting to enjoy my X5D

Cool! Good to read positive news about these cars once in a while.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 10-28-2013, 09:41 PM

Mein Auto: X5 Diesel xDrive35d
OP - +1

Mine is a MY2011 (June 2010 build), now at 58,000+ miles . . . runs like a champ. Yes had a couple of recalls on a few sensors, EGR, etc . . . about the only thing that surprised me was the AC coolant leaked, fortunately it was still under warranty. Currently the front passenger door cannot be unlocked manually (unlocks fine with the dashboard button), not sweating this one as I have the extended warranty.

Overall VERY happy with the ride . . . love the handling, everything seems to fit nicely and all the controls easy to reach and logical (yes even the memory seat operation!), etc. If I had to quibble, the navigation could be designed better . . .
Old 10-28-2013, 10:03 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Wow, front passenger door does not unlock manually? I wonder if there are any safety law on that? It seem kinda dangerous if you are dependent on an electronic lock.

On my Honda, I had an airbag warning light. I was expecting to get a bill for repair since it was more than 8 years old. Surprising, it was a seat belt sensor and the dealer stated it was covered under warranty.

So I would not be surprised if some safety law govern door locks. If there aren't, they should be. I read on a news that a teenager girl passed away due to heat stroke because she was locked inside. That car was a 1997 BMW 3 series. So these things are important to have manual override.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/15/g...-faulty-locks/

Old 10-29-2013, 03:40 AM

Mein Auto: 535i, 330ci
Good post. More than anything, I tend to get bored at times driving the same vehicle. But I have a history of pushing through and driving the vehicle until it's got no real value and then I buy something new. Good to read you've had 14,000 trouble-free miles on it so far since the initial nits.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:02 AM
Ja mei!

Mein Auto: X5
All my door unlock manually. So there is some other issue.
No coding required..
Old 10-29-2013, 04:18 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 / '12 E70d
Loving ours too! No joke 28-30 mpg on trips to the beach and back. No major issues so far (knock on wood), but it's a 2012 with only about 12k miles on it. The torque is awesome for our densely packed cut-n-thrust urban/suburban driving environment here in the DC area. My one complaint is turbo lag from a dead-stop, and the fact that it can take literally a second for it to get going if you step on it hard from a stop, such as turning left through a narrow gap against oncoming traffic. Just the nature of these turbocharged and turbodiesel beasts, though. A mild brake-torque fixes that. Wish there was a bit more room, but it does squeeze 7 people into it AND fits into our garage with all of my storage shelves setup, AND is very easy to maneuver and park, so it works well for us.

HR&G Full Review: 2014 F33 428i M-Sport Convertible (my side auto-journo gig)
Old 10-29-2013, 08:49 AM

Mein Auto: X5 Diesel xDrive35d
AC Performance Check / AC Coolant

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycyao View Post
Wow, front passenger door does not unlock manually? I wonder if there are any safety law on that? It seem kinda dangerous if you are dependent on an electronic lock. . . .
Yes will get this checked out, very close to an oil change, so decided to wait. I tend to see things glass half full - in an emergency we still have three other functioning doors plus the rear hatch to get out!

Yes I was a bit surprised the manual operation failed and not the electrical one to unlock the front passenger door. Over a year ago I did get the dealer to re-install this door for me under warranty - the door started to squeak . . . dealer did the standard BMW recommended fix (Teflon tape) twice . . . third time I insisted they re-install the door and manually adjust the alignment. The squeak is completely gone and has not returned for well over a year!

Talking of squeaks and rattles - at 58,000+ miles (50/50 city/hwy) there are zero rattles or squeaks at any speeds (up to 90 mph) - and California roads are not the best you can find. I thought that was impressive. Let us see if this will hold till 100,000 miles.

Regarding AC coolant - forgot to mention this in my earlier post - by the time you start to notice the lack of cooling the system performance has deteriorated considerably - in my case over 50% of the gas had already leaked. As the system performance begins to deteriorate it will start to direct most of the cooling to the driver area - meaning the driver won't notice until the performance has gone down considerably. Nice feature but not good for catching the problem early! Easy way to check AC performance - set the climate control to MAX cooling (60 deg F on both sides, max fan speed and recirculate) . . . stick a cheap kitchen thermometer in the middle AC vents on the dashboard - both vents should read about 37 deg C.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:09 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Erlkoenig
Mein Auto: German stuff
4500 mi on mine. Dealer replaced iDrive screen. Drives like a dream on the highway. No regrets.
2013 X5 35d: Platinum gray metallic, Sport pkg with 20", premium pkg, multi-contour, cold wx pkg, premium stereo w/Sirius, soft close doors, smart phone int, custom coding, 18" Sport Edition w/Michelin xICE2.