Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 10-24-2013, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 x3
Unibody damage

My 2013 X3 was the victim of a hit and run a few months ago. I was in the car, but of course had no injury. The car handled the impact very well. It has been at the body shop located at, but not owned by BMW. I chose this shop because it is the only one in town with certified BMW technicians. They have been telling me that they felt the damage was only cosmetic, however when I went in on Monday, I found the body shop has cut off the back about 1/2 to 1/3 of the unibody and is replacing it in pieces. I believe this is unsafe and that they should replace the entire side, likely resulting in a total loss of my car. My insurance company does not seem knowledgeable about this, but the adjuster is going back for a second look in a few days. I am trying to find any resources I can to show to the appraiser. Help!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	403772  

Last edited by Hilizanne; 10-24-2013 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Typo
Advertisement
Old 10-24-2013, 10:48 AM

Better pic

I can't seem to get the best photo to attach to the thread. Trying this way...
They are sawing through the rivets, as you can see here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	403774  

Last edited by Hilizanne; 10-24-2013 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Another typo
Old 10-24-2013, 01:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Holy cow! All that for what they originally thought was cosmetic??!! I'd be wanting a second opinion for sure.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: x3 35i
Unibody damage

How much was the first quote they gave to fix this?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-24-2013, 10:31 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilizanne View Post
My 2013 X3 was the victim of a hit and run a few months ago. I was in the car, but of course had no injury. The car handled the impact very well. It has been at the body shop located at, but not owned by BMW. I chose this shop because it is the only one in town with certified BMW technicians. They have been telling me that they felt the damage was only cosmetic, however when I went in on Monday, I found the body shop has cut off the back about 1/2 to 1/3 of the unibody and is replacing it in pieces. I believe this is unsafe and that they should replace the entire side, likely resulting in a total loss of my car. My insurance company does not seem knowledgeable about this, but the adjuster is going back for a second look in a few days. I am trying to find any resources I can to show to the appraiser. Help!!
I'm certainly not an expert but under some circumstances, replacement of a portion of the unibody is blessed by BMW. Look at pages 8 and 9 of the attachment for an example of how a portion of the side can be cut/removed/replaced.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 01_F25 Introduction.pdf (1.19 MB, 159 views)
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport

Last edited by LMC; 10-24-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyver626 View Post
How much was the first quote they gave to fix this?

The original quote was 10k. We are at 15k now with possibility of more. Need 25k to total.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC View Post
I'm certainly not an expert but under some circumstances, replacement of a portion of the unibody is blessed by BMW. Look at pages 8 and 9 of the attachment for an example of how a portion of the side can be cut/removed/replaced.

Thanks! That is more than I can find, although it is unclear the replacement parts to be used. They have 9 small separate pieces they are using for repair, which they did obtain from BMW.
The body shop mechanic is the first one who told me that they cannot cut through the unibody without making the car unsafe (that was about a month ago).

I will find out more later today when I meet with the adjuster. I am hoping she also has resources.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:05 AM

Mein Auto: e36 m3, X5, 74 2002
the adjuster approved that much of an increase in work already?
Old 10-25-2013, 06:16 AM

Mein Auto: x3 35i
Unibody damage

If it was a hit and run. How in the world did the other car get away considering your car is that damaged? Sorry to hear of your troubles and hope they fix it right.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: X3 35i
Id sell / trade that the soon as I got it back. Just for my peace of mind.
2014 x3 35i - Bronze Metallic - Mojave Leather - Fineline Wave Trim - Cold Weather Pkg - Drivers Assistance Pkg w/ Top View Camera - Dynamic Handling Pkg - Premium Pkg - Technology Pkg - 309 Style Rims - X-Line Trim Pkg - Aluminum Roof Rails - Window Shades - Auto High Beams - Premium Sound.

2013 Ram 3500 - Laramie Limited Mega Cab w/ Cummins Diesel and Aisin Transmision
Old 10-25-2013, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i manual
When the damage to the unibody is significant there is really no other way to fix but cut panels and weld new ones. When my e46 was rear ended years ago they had to cut rear quarter panel and replace. So you get human welding as opposed to the original one done by the factory robots. Years later I was rear ended again, the car had much lesser value at that point, they fixed the panel (replacing it would have totaled the car). I should have argued with the insurance but didn't.
If it is fixed in the end make sure you request diminished value. This is what I did after the first accident.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_again View Post
If it is fixed in the end make sure you request diminished value.
+1 The value of this car once repaired will take a major hit. When it is the fault of another party you have a shot at a dminished value claim from the other guy, depending on state laws, etc. But in the case of a hit and run, it's all on your own policy. My company, for instance (USAA -- otherwise a great company) excludes diminished value claims; I think a number of companies do the same.
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
Old 10-25-2013, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i manual
Quote:
+1 The value of this car once repaired will take a major hit. When it is the fault of another party you have a shot at a dminished value claim from the other guy, depending on state laws, etc. But in the case of a hit and run, it's all on your own policy. My company, for instance (USAA -- otherwise a great company) excludes diminished value claims; I think a number of companies do the same.
That's a good point, I forgot the OP is claiming on own policy.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblahh View Post
the adjuster approved that much of an increase in work already?
Yes--that much is already paid
Old 10-25-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyver626 View Post
If it was a hit and run. How in the world did the other car get away considering your car is that damaged? Sorry to hear of your troubles and hope they fix it right.

Unfortunately, I was stopped at a red light in the left hand turn lane to turn north. South bound traffic had the green light, and someone turning right was going incredibly fast, lost control, came close to t-boning me in my door. I saw them coming and tried to get out of the way, but they hit me, pretty hard. My car did not budge but just absorbed the impact. One Good Samaritan stopped as a witness. I don't know how the other car kept going, but it left glass and a bumper in the road. It took the police over an hour to come. My impression was because I was not hurt, they did not do much looking for this guy.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:46 PM

Follow-up: another adjuster looked at it today, said it is a good repair and they are doing everything they can to fix it. So I caused some trouble without result, but at least I know I have done everything I can. I will be asking my insurance for finished value for my car. And it's sad, but I will be trading it once it's fixed. It's a shame...2013, only 7500 miles. They have had it for almost 3 months now. I planned on never buying another vehicle, I loved this one so much, but after everything I just am not going to feel comfortable in it again.

State Farm insurance does do diminished value in cases like these. And they have paid for my rental car for this entire time.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Follow-up: another adjuster looked at it today, said it is a good repair and they are doing everything they can to fix it. So I caused some trouble without result, but at least I know I have done everything I can. I will be asking my insurance for finished value for my car. And it's sad, but I will be trading it once it's fixed. It's a shame...2013, only 7500 miles. They have had it for almost 3 months now. I planned on never buying another vehicle, I loved this one so much, but after everything I just am not going to feel comfortable in it again.

State Farm insurance does do diminished value in cases like these. And they have paid for my rental car for this entire time.
What an ordeal, and yet it sounds like State Farm is stepping up for you. I do not not blame you at all for the change in attitude to the vehicle. I'm sure others would be as interested as I to find out what number they come up with for diminished value.

May be a little early to decide but do you think you will replace it with another X3?
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
Old 10-26-2013, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
I am surprised that anyone does diminished value on a single payer policy (no other party to collect from) but it will be interested to see what kind of an amount they come up with. Perhaps there was an "uninsured motorist" rider on the policy.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: e36 m3, X5, 74 2002
I did it on a hit and run on my mini cooper, they gave me a check after fixing the car

then I dropped them as they screwed up every step of the way including trying to get me to pay my collision deductible instead of comp, month after the check cleared I left allstate, I was only with them a couple years so I was a huge net loss for them

hit and run falls under your comprehensive coverage/deductible
Old 10-26-2013, 04:47 PM

Mein Auto: NA
I feel your pain. My car (a 2014 X3 35i) is now in a similar situation as yours. I am still trying to figure out what I can/should do.

Hate irresponsible people......
Old 10-29-2013, 10:14 PM

I do have uninsured motorist coverage on my policy. I will have to fill out paperwork when the car is fixed to apply for diminished value. Hopefully they will be done this week, but I doubt it. The body shop has not yet made good on any of its promises.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haodang View Post
I feel your pain. My car (a 2014 X3 35i) is now in a similar situation as yours. I am still trying to figure out what I can/should do.

Hate irresponsible people......
Oh my gosh, how long did you have your car? And I thought mine was bad being 2013.

I hope your body shop experience is better than mine. Let me know if I can help at all. I am coming up on the 3 month anniversary of the wreck.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:27 PM

Mein Auto: NA
Quote:
Oh my gosh, how long did you have your car? And I thought mine was bad being 2013.

I hope your body shop experience is better than mine. Let me know if I can help at all. I am coming up on the 3 month anniversary of the wreck.
Thanks for offering your help!

I took delivery of my car in May. So it is about 5 months old so far. In a week it will be my 1 month anniversary of the wreck. The unibody was deformed by the F150 of the drunk driver's. It is still in the body shop waiting for the detailed estimation. Body shop thinks it should be totaled, but my insurance company does not want to do that the first round.

I thought I may need to get involved the insurance company of the driver at-fault now. Since for them, if they consider the diminished value and the repair cost, they may need to total out my car. However, I heard that the driver at-fault only had minimal coverage from his insurance company which means(I think) they are not going to cover all my loss. What the ...!

I am basically lost these days, waiting for my body shop to have more detailed report about the damage and hoping that my insurance company can total it out. Otherwise, I think I may have to sue the driver later......
Old 10-29-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
What an ordeal, and yet it sounds like State Farm is stepping up for you. I do not not blame you at all for the change in attitude to the vehicle. I'm sure others would be as interested as I to find out what number they come up with for diminished value.

May be a little early to decide but do you think you will replace it with another X3?
Yes, replacing it with another X3, 2014 28i. Car is there just waiting on me to finish up with figuring out how to finance and when to purchase. The dealer will actually buy my damaged vehicle from me before it is finished being repaired. Do you think if I go ahead with that my diminished claim would affected, or am I being paranoid? It may help, having an actual diminished value.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haodang View Post
Thanks for offering your help!

I took delivery of my car in May. So it is about 5 months old so far. In a week it will be my 1 month anniversary of the wreck. The unibody was deformed by the F150 of the drunk driver's. It is still in the body shop waiting for the detailed estimation. Body shop thinks it should be totaled, but my insurance company does not want to do that the first round.

I thought I may need to get involved the insurance company of the driver at-fault now. Since for them, if they consider the diminished value and the repair cost, they may need to total out my car. However, I heard that the driver at-fault only had minimal coverage from his insurance company which means(I think) they are not going to cover all my loss. What the ...!

I am basically lost these days, waiting for my body shop to have more detailed report about the damage and hoping that my insurance company can total it out. Otherwise, I think I may have to sue the driver later......
I was unsuccessful getting them to bring up diminished value during talks of totaling the vehicle. Most polices require that the estimate to repair be 75-80% of the value of the vehicle, so it may help to find out the current value of your vehicle before damage. Also it seems like it is harder to get the insurance company to total the vehicle after they have written the first check for repair, as they end up paying much more if they later total it than even the purchase price.

Now I don't feel bad about my wait, but as mine was a hit and run we did know it would definitely be on my own policy. I did have the initial estimate on repair within 3 days. Some parts had to be ordered from Germany, so that accounts for some of the delay.