Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 06-09-2010, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: 330xi
2011 Z4 3.0si: long warming up period & normal operating temperature.

Hello everyone, I just received my new 2011 Z4 3.0SI and I would like to compare notes with other z4 owners to corroborate or dispute what the dealer is telling me.

First, it takes a very long time to warm up: about 10 miles, 10-12 min (my 330XI takes about 3-5 miles or 5 min even in the winter).

Second the average operating temperature is about 225 degrees (1/3 to the left or about three notches left of the center 250) should the gage stay around the middle?

Third, at a cold start, the engine runs rough for about a min while the car rocks a bit, then and the lifters start ticking, but not as loud as some other members posted on Bimmerfirst. After about 5 min the ticking goes away and the engine run smoothly but it retains minor surges at idling, when I am at stoplights.

The dealer told me that that all of this is normal and that none of these things will harm the engine. However, they would like me to leave the car overnight to see if the lifters need to be replaced. Could they just be out of adjustment? What about the long warming up period? Normal or defective thermostat? Any advice is welcome. I will drop the car overnight next week. Thank you all.
Advertisement
Old 06-09-2010, 01:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 Z4 35i
My car runs smooth even without warming it up in the dead of winter. There is no rough idling or surging at lights. I think your dealer is just trying to appease you. They have a tendency to do that. Ny car also warms up in about five minutes. I would go back and let them know that it is unacceptable and you have spoken to other Z4 owners who dispute what he is saying.

2006 Z4 30i - Monaco Blue, beige leather
2003 Z4 2.5- Sterling Gray, black leather
1998 Z3 2.8 - Bright Red, black leather
Old 06-09-2010, 02:57 PM

Perfect thank you.
Could you please note and text me were the temperature needle rest after it warms up? Is it right in the middle or few notches on the left? Ciao M.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 550i / 2011 Z4 35is
poloxi, when you say it takes a long time to warm up, what are you using to gauge when the car has warmed up? I'm presuming the temp gauge as you say. I'm no expert here, but the temp gauge in our Z4s is an engine oil temp gauge unlike a coolant temp gauge most people might be familiar with. Maybe someone with more expertise can chime in, but I would think it does take longer for engine oil to warm. At least we have a gauge in our Z4s... my E60 has no gauge whatsoever. The only indication of an overheat would be a dreaded message in the iDrive display.

Regardless, though, when my engine is warm, the needle is a tick or two to left of center (250). We're talking about different engines, though, so that may matter.

2009 550i - Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim; M Sport; Cold Weather; CA; Nav; HUD; Premium Sound; LDW

2011 Z4 sDrive35is - Melbourne Red Metallic, Walnut Extended Leather, M Aluminum Carbo Trim; Premium Sound; Premium Package; Cold Weather; DCT; CA; Nav; PDC

2011 Mini Cooper S - Hot Chocolate

BMWCCA Member No. 434251

Last edited by Atty; 06-09-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:12 PM

Good Point. I will have to do a little research on that. I compared with my other 2001 330XI, but as you mention it is probably a different engine. I assumed the temperature gage in both would have to be monitoring the same liquid. However, if one monitors coolant and the other oil, the warm up time difference makes sense. I will find out. BTW my oil temp gage on the Z4 also runs 2-3 tags left of the center. I'll go look into the 330xi manual to see if that is the oil or coolant temp and then put a quick note. Ciao & Thank you M.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:22 PM

Atty: you are correct. The two gauges are monitoring two different fluids: the 330xi monitors the "engine coolant", the Z4 monitors "engine oil temperature". Ciao M.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 550i / 2011 Z4 35is
Happy to help! I read about this being an oil temperature gauge somewhere that I can't remember, so the credit really goes to that unknown person! I would expect engine oil to warm much more slowly even though your car is at operating temperature. However, that doesn't explain your rough idle and surging issues, so I hope you get them checked out and can report back to us. Good luck!

2009 550i - Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim; M Sport; Cold Weather; CA; Nav; HUD; Premium Sound; LDW

2011 Z4 sDrive35is - Melbourne Red Metallic, Walnut Extended Leather, M Aluminum Carbo Trim; Premium Sound; Premium Package; Cold Weather; DCT; CA; Nav; PDC

2011 Mini Cooper S - Hot Chocolate

BMWCCA Member No. 434251
Old 10-30-2013, 05:36 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 E85
I have got a used 2010 E89 and conpared with my old Z4 E89, my new Z4 takes considerable much longer time and mileage to warm up. I am in Hong Kong and no matter hot summer and cooler autumn, it is still quite hot, not to say winter temperature never drops below freezing. I just wonder if it is normal
Old 10-30-2013, 05:38 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 E85
Given the long time to warm up, which lower side of oil is better? 0w or 5w or even 10w? Thanks for thr advice in advance