Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-28-2013, 08:34 PM
jna jna is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 24
Mein Auto: 2004 754Li
FIXED: Valve Guide Seals!!!

After trying all of the quick fix solutions for the 'smoke at idle' issue, I finally tore the engine apart and had the valve guide seals replaced. I took my car to All German Auto and had a couple of other things fixed as well:

1. Valve guide seals. They have a kit that allows them to change the seals with only the valve covers off. You don't have to remove the cams, vanos or anything else. Look for this to be in production soon.

2. Had the secondary air systems cleaned using their kit. I had the P0492 code that started all of the issues including not being able to pass smog!

3. While everything else was open, I had them replace the coolant pipe with their kit. I have 142,000 miles and didn't want to have to take it apart within 10k again.

If you live in San Diego, AGA should be the only dealer alternative repair shop you go to. If you don't live here, give all of their kits a shot.

Now I have an oil in the brake booster issue that I have to get taken care of and then change the Guibo. It never ends but love the car.

Going in for the Smog Check next.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine open.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	404548   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine buttoned up.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	404549  
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 10-30-2013, 12:28 AM
Joe750's Avatar
Joe750 Joe750 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Whittier
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 169
Mein Auto: 750li
FIXED: Valve Guide Seals!!!

How much was the valve guide seals and labor ?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-30-2013, 03:02 AM
eric6869 eric6869 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Knoxville,Tn.
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 105
Mein Auto: 2006 750Li
FIXED: Valve Guide Seals!!!

Yes how much?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-30-2013, 06:29 AM
A B Able Truck's Avatar
A B Able Truck A B Able Truck is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 905
Mein Auto: 2006 550I (N62TU) V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jna View Post
After trying all of the quick fix solutions for the 'smoke at idle' issue, I finally tore the engine apart and had the valve guide seals replaced. I took my car to All German Auto and had a couple of other things fixed as well:
1. Valve guide seals. They have a kit that allows them to change the seals with only the valve covers off. You don't have to remove the cams, vanos or anything else. Look for this to be in production soon.
2. Had the secondary air systems cleaned using their kit. I had the P0492 code that started all of the issues including not being able to pass smog!
3. While everything else was open, I had them replace the coolant pipe with their kit. I have 142,000 miles and didn't want to have to take it apart within 10k again.
If you live in San Diego, AGA should be the only dealer alternative repair shop you go to. If you don't live here, give all of their kits a shot.
Now I have an oil in the brake booster issue that I have to get taken care of and then change the Guibo. It never ends but love the car.
Going in for the Smog Check next.
There is no way to replace valve stem seals without removing the cams, valve springs, etc. You are misinformed. I live a few miles from AGA and was talking to the owner a few weeks ago - he never mentioned any such kit. If your invoice says they replaced valve stem seals and it was under 3 K please post a photo. They're a great shop but they're not gods.

PS
There is a recall on oil in the brake booster - should be under warranty

Last edited by A B Able Truck; 10-30-2013 at 06:33 AM. Reason: info
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-30-2013, 07:28 AM
jna jna is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 24
Mein Auto: 2004 754Li
AB, I can't speak to why they didn't mention it to you but AGA is working the tool/kit and it should be in production soon (this month?). The valve guide seal replacement does not require removing the cams, vanos, timing covers, eccentric shaft, etc.... Martin (owner) can discuss the the tool with you for specifics but it allows for compression of the springs and removal of the rockers to get to and replace the seals. No re-timing required. He walked me through the process on an engine he had removed and I was able to see the process. Those old seals are hard as a rock! Stop by or give him a call.

I don't know how much the tool is going to cost, but the repair at AGA is very reasonable and blows dealer away. Give them a call to discuss repair price.

On the booster, I have already had the recall done but all they did was replace the hose. Now there is oil in the booster (probably was already there before they replaced the hose) and the booster has failed. I am in conversation (you know what that means) with BMWNA to get them to fix the rest of the recall - replacing the booster.

If it doesn't work out, I will probably be looking for a booster to replace on my own.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-30-2013, 08:14 AM
A B Able Truck's Avatar
A B Able Truck A B Able Truck is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 905
Mein Auto: 2006 550I (N62TU) V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jna View Post
AB, I can't speak to why they didn't mention it to you but AGA is working the tool/kit and it should be in production soon (this month?). The valve guide seal replacement does not require removing the cams, vanos, timing covers, eccentric shaft, etc.... Martin (owner) can discuss the the tool with you for specifics but it allows for compression of the springs and removal of the rockers to get to and replace the seals. No re-timing required. He walked me through the process on an engine he had removed and I was able to see the process. Those old seals are hard as a rock! Stop by or give him a call.
I don't know how much the tool is going to cost, but the repair at AGA is very reasonable and blows dealer away. Give them a call to discuss repair price.
On the booster, I have already had the recall done but all they did was replace the hose. Now there is oil in the booster (probably was already there before they replaced the hose) and the booster has failed. I am in conversation (you know what that means) with BMWNA to get them to fix the rest of the recall - replacing the booster.
If it doesn't work out, I will probably be looking for a booster to replace on my own.
I e-mailed Martin for the info and will get back with you. If you're able to replace both intake & exhaust valve stem seals as you state - maybe he is a god.

OK - I'm taking the car to AGA now - He said both intake & exhaust stem seals for approx. $1,200 parts & labor (about 10 HRs) +/- I'll keep U updated
Tool won't be available for a month or so

Last edited by A B Able Truck; 10-31-2013 at 12:35 PM. Reason: info
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-30-2013, 10:03 AM
johndade johndade is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: chicago
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,641
Mein Auto: 2002 bmw 745li
Re: FIXED: Valve Guide Seals!!!

All German auto has really set the standard for fixing some major issues with this engine and very affordable price. I thought there was someone here that said BMP design also has a kit coming out soon . For 1000 you can't go wrong.
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-30-2013, 10:06 AM
jna jna is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 24
Mein Auto: 2004 754Li
That's great and AGA and Martin specifically, is a great team to work with. I had them clean the Sec Air and coolant pipe as well since it was already open. Now it runs like a champ, just having issue stopping it!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-30-2013, 12:39 PM
eric6869 eric6869 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Knoxville,Tn.
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 105
Mein Auto: 2006 750Li
FIXED: Valve Guide Seals!!!

Damn, I wish I lived in CA.!!!!


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-30-2013, 12:45 PM
Rahulk Rahulk is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orlando ,Fl
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 180
Mein Auto: E53 N62; E90 N52
FIXED: Valve Guide Seals!!!

If it's an N62, you might be able to change the exhaust valve stem seals but not the intake stem seals without removing the cams... In anyway, AGA is a great company, great innovation.

I've replaced the 32 valve stem seals... Timing and removing the cam shafts ver easy... If you have gone that far, I don't know why you wouldn't, unless you don't have the timing tool...


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-30-2013, 01:14 PM
A B Able Truck's Avatar
A B Able Truck A B Able Truck is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 905
Mein Auto: 2006 550I (N62TU) V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk View Post
If it's an N62, you might be able to change the exhaust valve stem seals but not the intake stem seals without removing the cams... In anyway, AGA is a great company, great innovation.
I've replaced the 32 valve stem seals... Timing and removing the cam shafts ver easy... If you have gone that far, I don't know why you wouldn't, unless you don't have the timing tool...
Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I'm a little skeptical as well, but I dropped the car off this morning and Martin gave me a ride home. I drive past the shop almost daily and will probably check the tool out in action.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-30-2013, 01:20 PM
A B Able Truck's Avatar
A B Able Truck A B Able Truck is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 905
Mein Auto: 2006 550I (N62TU) V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric6869 View Post
Damn, I wish I lived in CA.!!!!
Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Great weather & beautiful girls - but the cost of living and traffic suc ks.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-30-2013, 01:54 PM
jna jna is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 24
Mein Auto: 2004 754Li
I wasn't skeptical at all and I was all in on this project as I really wanted to see the tool. These guys do great work. I checked all 32 used seals (hard as a rock) while they were sitting on the work bench and all 32 new ones in. Nothing other than the valve covers needed to come off. I had the intake off (for the coolant pipe and sec air cleaning) and the upper timing covers off (to change my gaskets) but there really was no need to.

The car runs great and no more smoke at idle!!!! Which means I can pass smog and get my tag again!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-30-2013, 02:03 PM
A B Able Truck's Avatar
A B Able Truck A B Able Truck is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 905
Mein Auto: 2006 550I (N62TU) V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jna View Post
I wasn't skeptical at all and I was all in on this project as I really wanted to see the tool. These guys do great work. I checked all 32 used seals (hard as a rock) while they were sitting on the work bench and all 32 new ones in. Nothing other than the valve covers needed to come off. I had the intake off (for the coolant pipe and sec air cleaning) and the upper timing covers off (to change my gaskets) but there really was no need to.
The car runs great and no more smoke at idle!!!! Which means I can pass smog and get my tag again!!!!
Just curious - What were your smog HC (and other) readings before (fail) and after (pass).
I'm sure you failed the visual.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-30-2013, 02:18 PM
jna jna is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 24
Mein Auto: 2004 754Li
My initial readings are:
15mph - 44
25mph - 23

I was failed for excessive/visible smoke on snap test.

I haven't taken it in for a re-smog yet as I went right to the dealer for the Booster issue. There is oil in the booster but BMWNA is refusing to fix it under the recall because they said the check valve was replaced already and that completed the recall. I asked if the check valve was working and if yes, then how did the oil get in the booster if it wasn't already there prior to replacing the CV. Long pause, no response....

As soon as I get it smogged, I will post the HC.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-30-2013, 02:51 PM
A B Able Truck's Avatar
A B Able Truck A B Able Truck is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 905
Mein Auto: 2006 550I (N62TU) V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jna View Post
My initial readings are:
15mph - 44
25mph - 23
I was failed for excessive/visible smoke on snap test.
I haven't taken it in for a re-smog yet as I went right to the dealer for the Booster issue. There is oil in the booster but BMWNA is refusing to fix it under the recall because they said the check valve was replaced already and that completed the recall. I asked if the check valve was working and if yes, then how did the oil get in the booster if it wasn't already there prior to replacing the CV. Long pause, no response....
As soon as I get it smogged, I will post the HC.
You're well within specs on your HCs.

- The booster & vacuum pump were part of the recall if the line/booster had fluid in it.

I replaced my booster & mastercylinder in July 2012 - I thought the price was reasonable - new from Rising Sun Import Parts ($229 - part #34336779742) - you may want to do your master at the same time ($234). ** My booster just failed - no fluid **
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-31-2013, 12:33 PM
A B Able Truck's Avatar
A B Able Truck A B Able Truck is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 905
Mein Auto: 2006 550I (N62TU) V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk View Post
If it's an N62, you might be able to change the exhaust valve stem seals but not the intake stem seals without removing the cams... In anyway, AGA is a great company, great innovation.
I've replaced the 32 valve stem seals... Timing and removing the cam shafts ver easy... If you have gone that far, I don't know why you wouldn't, unless you don't have the timing tool...
Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
First I need to tell JNA sorry for calling you misinformed - you were right.

Rahulk - I saw it with my own eyes - intake valve seals being replaced without removing the cams. ** Amazing new tool **
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-31-2013, 03:01 PM
johndade johndade is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: chicago
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,641
Mein Auto: 2002 bmw 745li
Re: FIXED: Valve Guide Seals!!!

How much for the repair and how much for the tool do you know yet? How many hours?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-31-2013, 03:09 PM
PAPER's Avatar
PAPER PAPER is offline
CRISP & CLEAN
Location: CALIFORNIA L.A.
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,895
Mein Auto: 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by A B Able Truck View Post
First I need to tell JNA sorry for calling you misinformed - you were right.

Rahulk - I saw it with my own eyes - intake valve seals being replaced without removing the cams. ** Amazing new tool **

did you take any Pics ???
__________________

If you need a Custom 2014 DVD Navigation Map
East or West for your E65 E66 PM me for price .
Or if you Need an AUX Plug for your car hit me up
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-31-2013, 03:20 PM
A B Able Truck's Avatar
A B Able Truck A B Able Truck is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 905
Mein Auto: 2006 550I (N62TU) V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndade View Post
How much for the repair and how much for the tool do you know yet? How many hours?
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using BimmerApp mobile app
- Estimate 8>10 hours + parts
- Tool is in tooling - My phone cut out when we spoke about tool price, but I think he said preliminary estimate $800 +/-

Last edited by A B Able Truck; 11-06-2013 at 01:31 PM. Reason: info
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-31-2013, 03:24 PM
A B Able Truck's Avatar
A B Able Truck A B Able Truck is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 905
Mein Auto: 2006 550I (N62TU) V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPER View Post
did you take any Pics ???
I didn't think it would have been wise.

By the way Paper - thanks for not throwing me off the forum at the beginning. While I spend too much time on the computer now - I've learned a lot about my car.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-31-2013, 04:12 PM
PAPER's Avatar
PAPER PAPER is offline
CRISP & CLEAN
Location: CALIFORNIA L.A.
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,895
Mein Auto: 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by A B Able Truck View Post
I didn't think it would have been wise.

By the way Paper - thanks for not throwing me off the forum at the beginning. While I spend too much time on the computer now - I've learned a lot about my car.
Aww man that kind of sucks , would have liked to see the tool in action .

As for not banning you , I told you back then when I messaged you I
don't like to Ban people . & for the most part you didn't take things to far .
__________________

If you need a Custom 2014 DVD Navigation Map
East or West for your E65 E66 PM me for price .
Or if you Need an AUX Plug for your car hit me up

Last edited by PAPER; 10-31-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-31-2013, 04:17 PM
PAPER's Avatar
PAPER PAPER is offline
CRISP & CLEAN
Location: CALIFORNIA L.A.
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,895
Mein Auto: 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by A B Able Truck View Post
- $1,000 labor + parts (8-10 hrs.)
- Tool is in tooling - My phone cut out when we spoke about tool price, but I think he said preliminary estimate $800 +/-
WoW so $1000. for labor & if I recall correctly Valve stem seal parts
are not much at all . If anyone knows what the parts cost is feel free
to post it up .

That is some great News fro those of you with the issue out here in
Cali & also for those who might run into the Valve stem problem later
on .
__________________

If you need a Custom 2014 DVD Navigation Map
East or West for your E65 E66 PM me for price .
Or if you Need an AUX Plug for your car hit me up
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-31-2013, 05:45 PM
johndade johndade is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: chicago
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,641
Mein Auto: 2002 bmw 745li
Re: FIXED: Valve Guide Seals!!!

+1 ya all the major problems don't seem to bad now with all German auto tools for pipe valve seals and secondary cleaning. I bet some people that dumped the car for those issues now might regret it. I got a quote from a shop in Chicago area that fixes all three issues and seals and head gasket plus cleaning heads for 3500. I believe once you fix those issues with the car you will probably never have the issues again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-31-2013, 05:58 PM
johndade johndade is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: chicago
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,641
Mein Auto: 2002 bmw 745li
Re: FIXED: Valve Guide Seals!!!

Valve seals 43.00 at bmwpartstore

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms