Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 745i
Rear Sun Shade Problem

Found some "glitches" in the rear sun shades (side and rear) on the newly purchased 2003 745i. The rear shade works well but one side of it seems broken or has came apart. Does the framework for these come loose or is it broken?

The side shades on the doors.......well I have only found the buttons on the rear passenger doors that operate these (are there any other buttons?). The buttons on the left rear passenger door operates the shades on the right passenger door; and the buttons on the right passenger door operates the 2 shades on the left passenger door. That seems backwards to me so I wanted to confirm.

Now...when operating the shades (to fully extended mode) on both side doors, the leather on the door panel comes loose and pulls out. If you try to retract the shade they get caught on the leather and bind, sag, crimp, etc. If I push the leather back down behind the door panel everytime, it will retract normally.

I kinda got confused since the buttons operated the opposite door, and didn't have that one "tucked", so when the shade got caught, the bar that runs on the track popped loose, I cann't get it back in the track now because it is such a tight fit.

HELP
Advertisement
Old 09-24-2013, 09:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 760Li
there is a switch to control left/right side right next to the buttons, plus they should be clearly marked for all the shades on the doors like which button controls the Rear window shade, 1/4 window shade and side window shade.
2010 Honda Accord Basque Red/Beige
Old 09-24-2013, 10:57 AM

Thank you regarding the switches. I'm sorry but didn't realize that was the issue. The fact that the shades kept getting caught up on the door leather trim had us puzzled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmeance View Post
there is a switch to control left/right side right next to the buttons, plus they should be clearly marked for all the shades on the doors like which button controls the Rear window shade, 1/4 window shade and side window shade.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:30 PM
Master Tinkerer

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpina B7
I've glued the leather back on the door panel on a number of these, but last night to avoid waiting for glue to dry I decided to pop-rivet the leather on both doors. Worked like a champ. Since the screen covers the back, you'll never see it, and it will last forever; every time I've glued these, the Texas sun has eventually weakened the glue. If anyone has found some glue not susceptible to this, please post! Otherwise, I plan on sticking with the pop riveting. Ghetto? Maybe. Works? Yes. =D ...just figured I'd share my experience from last night's activities.

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

Black 2002 BMW 745Li (sold)
KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...

Last edited by Keif; 09-26-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:12 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keif View Post
I've glued the leather back on the door panel on a number of these, but last night to avoid waiting for glue to dry I decided to pop-rivet the leather on both doors. Worked like a champ. Since the screen covers the back, you'll never see it, and it will last forever; every time I've glued these, the Texas sun has eventually weakened the glue. If anyone has found some glue not susceptible to this, please post! Otherwise, I plan on sticking with the pop riveting. Ghetto? Maybe. Works? Yes. =D ...just figured I'd share my experience from last night's activities.
Someone that comes to the Thursday night meets did his at the meet
with Gorilla Glue last year . If he shows up tonight I'll ask him how it's
holding up .

If you need a Custom 2014 DVD Navigation Map
East or West for your E65 E66 PM me for price .
Or if you Need an AUX Plug for your car hit me up
Old 09-27-2013, 09:36 AM

Mein Auto: 745LI
try this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Glue.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	399135  
Old 09-27-2013, 09:18 PM

Mein Auto: 760Li
I wonder if Epoxy would work better as a glue, or liquid nails!
2010 Honda Accord Basque Red/Beige
Old 10-30-2013, 07:36 AM

I think we have decided to consult the local Upholstry and Convertible Top shop. I think they do all kinds of work in this area, even custom stuff. We are going to see what they say and if we don't let them repair it, I'll try and tackle it myself.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:37 AM

I still need to inspect the rear shade and try to fix it. It seems that one side of it (one of the folding arms) has came loose/unconnected . When operated, it just kind of floats downward and doesn't move right. I hope something isn't "broken"
Old 10-30-2013, 10:39 AM
Teenage Car Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPER View Post
Someone that comes to the Thursday night meets did his at the meet
with Gorilla Glue last year . If he shows up tonight I'll ask him how it's
holding up .
what thursday night meets are you talking about?

This Car Im Driving Make U Feel Some Type Of Way
@V1SUALZ Los Angeles car v1sualz company coming soon!
F*** a lease, drive a e65