Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:05 AM
pay it forward

Mein Auto: X5 and Subaru Impreza
Another extended warranty question

I was recently reading a tread from Pax (i think) about whether or not to purchase an extended warranty. I have been thinking about this and I have until September to decide. There is a mind numbing amount of information out there and all of it seems to be different as to what is covered. So I looked my vehicle status and I have 10,000 miles until rear brakes need to be replaced. Everything else will not make it into the window of when my 4 years is up. My question is, do you think that I will be able to get rear brakes replaced in good faith around the time when my plan is up? Is it worth it to purchase an extended warranty? My other stats on the vehicle are. 1) I purchased it new in 2010 and it is paid off 2)The vehicle's odometer reads 22,339mi currently 3) I have 20 inch staggered 214's and am just about to buy new summer tires after this winter and new winter tires next summer and I don't have a dedicated set up (this won't factor into the warranty obviously but I don't have a dedicated set up and the reason why I mention this is because i have a third row so can't (won't) use Go Flats and would like to spend the money on rubber instead of a warranty, and just suck up the cost of a brake job. FWIW, I LOVE the vehicle, my wife LOVES the vehicle, and we plan on keeping it for a while. So do I just use some savings that I have set aside for repairs on an as needed basis, or do I try to find a warranty and prepay for things? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
RIP 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
RIP 1986 Honda Accord (involved in three car accident while pahked in the North End)
RIP 2002 Mini Cooper (90th produced)
Ads by Google
Old 10-30-2013, 11:09 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
You seem to be confusing extended WARRANTY with extended MAINTENANCE.

First maintenance:

You bought it in Sept 10, and have 11 months remaining.
You drive 7500 per year
You will NOT likely wear out the REAR brakes by the end of the plan. Maybe, maybe not. Make a few big trips perhaps

WHAT ABOUT FRONTS?

Buying the maintenance plan you will get two oil services, air filers, etc. Plus maybe a brake flush. (If the brake flush is 3 years, then you should have that covered now and NOT during the extended period) Plus brakes. Can you personally figure out how not to get screwed over pad and rotor change? Many cannot, and the dealer becomes their default choice...given the dealer pricing, the plan then makes sense. BUT everyone should know that there is nothing magic, hard, risky or other about the BMW dealer doing or not doing brakes- easy peasy stuff.

Warranty:

Given your lack of use, and if youve not had a lot of issues, Id be inclined to self insure. In Sept 13 you will have 30k miles...youd buy an extended warranty for 2 or 3 years at 7500 per year.... your call
Old 11-04-2013, 03:27 AM
pay it forward

I was leaning toward not purchasing. I have 25000 miles left for fronts so no prob there. I will be bringing it in for an oil change this month (annual low mileage: I paid for one around 7500 miles ago), so I can ask about the brake flush. I do have to ask, correct? There are a few good indies in the area that can do a brake job. You always hear a story or two about how the electronics die a few months out of warranty, too. If I didn't have such a lack of trust in the dealership, I would ask them to do a good faith repair if something were to go wrong shortly out of warranty, but I don't trust them. They have been under new management for a while and it seems like the place has changed. Maybe it's just my viewpoint of the place. Thanks for the advice, Ard.
RIP 1986 Honda Accord (involved in three car accident while pahked in the North End)
Old 11-04-2013, 04:59 AM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
You seem to be confusing extended WARRANTY with extended MAINTENANCE.

First maintenance:

You bought it in Sept 10, and have 11 months remaining.
You drive 7500 per year
You will NOT likely wear out the REAR brakes by the end of the plan. Maybe, maybe not. Make a few big trips perhaps

WHAT ABOUT FRONTS?

Buying the maintenance plan you will get two oil services, air filers, etc. Plus maybe a brake flush. (If the brake flush is 3 years, then you should have that covered now and NOT during the extended period) Plus brakes. Can you personally figure out how not to get screwed over pad and rotor change? Many cannot, and the dealer becomes their default choice...given the dealer pricing, the plan then makes sense. BUT everyone should know that there is nothing magic, hard, risky or other about the BMW dealer doing or not doing brakes- easy peasy stuff.

Warranty:

Given your lack of use, and if youve not had a lot of issues, Id be inclined to self insure. In Sept 13 you will have 30k miles...youd buy an extended warranty for 2 or 3 years at 7500 per year.... your call
My sentiment ...., EXACTLY! Self-insure ...

Well put. A valid argument predominantly for low mileage drivers.
BMWCCA #20645
Old 11-04-2013, 06:14 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by the kidd View Post
I was recently reading a tread from Pax (i think) about whether or not to purchase an extended warranty. I have been thinking about this and I have until September to decide. There is a mind numbing amount of information out there and all of it seems to be different as to what is covered. So I looked my vehicle status and I have 10,000 miles until rear brakes need to be replaced. Everything else will not make it into the window of when my 4 years is up. My question is, do you think that I will be able to get rear brakes replaced in good faith around the time when my plan is up? Is it worth it to purchase an extended warranty? My other stats on the vehicle are. 1) I purchased it new in 2010 and it is paid off 2)The vehicle's odometer reads 22,339mi currently 3) I have 20 inch staggered 214's and am just about to buy new summer tires after this winter and new winter tires next summer and I don't have a dedicated set up (this won't factor into the warranty obviously but I don't have a dedicated set up and the reason why I mention this is because i have a third row so can't (won't) use Go Flats and would like to spend the money on rubber instead of a warranty, and just suck up the cost of a brake job. FWIW, I LOVE the vehicle, my wife LOVES the vehicle, and we plan on keeping it for a while. So do I just use some savings that I have set aside for repairs on an as needed basis, or do I try to find a warranty and prepay for things? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Simmilar situation as you...have a 2010 x5 with 25K miles and warrnty expired in Jan 14.

I have done some research and in the next 2 yrs will need

Rear brakes - ~700
2 oil changes - ~400
1 Brake flush ~ 200

$1300 will be maintenance costs and cost of the plan is 2100

Thanks
Old 11-04-2013, 08:57 AM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmetha View Post
Simmilar situation as you...have a 2010 x5 with 25K miles and warrnty expired in Jan 14.

I have done some research and in the next 2 yrs will need

Rear brakes - ~700
2 oil changes - ~400
1 Brake flush ~ 200

$1300 will be maintenance costs and cost of the plan is 2100

Thanks
You're talking about an extended maintenance plan, right? Thing of it is ... an Indy will probably do the same, if not better job as the BMW dealer, for 30% less than the prices quoted above ... so about $900 in maintenance cost. DIY with OEM parts? Figure at least 50% less than the prices you use above.

The savings add up ... How much is convenience worth to you?
BMWCCA #20645
Old 11-04-2013, 12:53 PM
pay it forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
You're talking about an extended maintenance plan, right? Thing of it is ... an Indy will probably do the same, if not better job as the BMW dealer, for 30% less than the prices quoted above ... so about $900 in maintenance cost. DIY with OEM parts? Figure at least 50% less than the prices you use above.

The savings add up ... How much is convenience worth to you?
Well then, the answer is easy. At half the cost of the plan, self pay is the way to go. Thanks for the perspective, guys.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Freude am Fahren

I see you are in the Boston area ... there are soooo many good indy's in the Boston area (I know, I used to live there) ...

Use these two links as a guide to find one:

- http://www.bimrs.org/

- http://www.bimmershops.com/
BMWCCA #20645