Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto: acura RL
Low pressure

Yesterday while driving i got the dreaded Low Oil pressure warning as soon as i pull out my neighborhood. I then cut the engine off, check the oil level (oil level was good), i have a small oil leak still, i have already done the alternator bracket gasket but i need to do the valve cover as well. I then start the engine up and it has a slight tick bare in mind the oil level is still good. I replaced the oil pressure sensor with an OEM one from BMW as i had replace the old one with a aftermarket one form authohauz while doing the vacuum pump seals while i was there. I drop the oil filter housing, no sign of any foreign particles or chunks of plastic. I then remove the TB and removed 4 of the 6 check valves and no foreign particles like the ones you had on yours. I will be getting to the other two check valves after work tonight but at this point im stuck not sure what else to try. I also used a Hargour Freight oil pressure tester and got no oil pressure at all even when its running. Any help will be greatly appreciated thanks.
Advertisement
Old 10-30-2013, 11:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 05 745 LI, 05 Acura RL
I got the same warning a few weeks ago and my valve covers finally let go, it was a very substantial leak... had to get them replaced. While they were in there I had them do the upper timing gaskets and put in new spark plugs. Shes running like a dream now and no more warning, and no more leaks.

22's, AC Schnitzer Kit, H&R Lowering Springs, Tinted tails and Signals, AC Schnitzer
Carbon Door Pillars, Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Tuner Mod, Tinted Windshield,
30% Tint all the way around, and some other stuff I forgot.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBrad7 View Post
I got the same warning a few weeks ago and my valve covers finally let go, it was a very substantial leak... had to get them replaced. While they were in there I had them do the upper timing gaskets and put in new spark plugs. Shes running like a dream now and no more warning, and no more leaks.
Did you have any ticking? i have a slight tick after the low pressure light came on. I replaced the plugs about 2 weeks ago. I was holding off on the Valve Cover because i didnt have the time to do it. Last question did you get the low pressure warning light when the valve covers went? Thanks
Old 10-31-2013, 03:57 AM

UPDATE: I took out the 3rd check valve on the passenger side head and found it fill with what seems be silicone. Im thinking that it might have from the vacuum pump or the alternator bracket that i replaced recently. Im not sure how it got in there as i used only a little in both places. The funny thing only one of the check valve had the silicone clogged in it and another i need to replace or take it apart because the spring in it sits side ways vs vertically. Im in touch with KeifR to get some more feed back
Old 10-31-2013, 03:53 PM

Mein Auto: 745Li
Good Day My Fellow Bimmers

I have a 2004 745Li and just had the same warning light and it was my vacuum pump leaking
Old 10-31-2013, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: 745Li
does anyone know how to clear the code for tank vent valve on 04 745Li...had dealer replace it and got code again went to autozone and had it reset and still got the same code
Old 10-31-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtJayByrd View Post
I have a 2004 745Li and just had the same warning light and it was my vacuum pump leaking
vacuum pump just replaced so it should be good ill finish up with the check valves and see
Old 11-03-2013, 01:14 AM

UPDATE: Fixeddddddd thanks to KeifR who provided me with some great info. Like i said i had the low oil pressure lighton and wngine started to tick. Change oil pressure switch and problem remained. I them check all the check vales on the heads on both side of the TB. On bank one, one of the valve was clogged with silicone and the other was damage (the spring fell out of place). I cleaned out the clogged one, replace the damage one and also replaced both VCG and now the engine runs like a champ even better than before i can tell. While in there i also replaced thay hose that fun from the smog pump to the back of the engine because i had to p4091. & p 4092 codes (i ran a hose from the Y fitting to the valve in the back) Hope tbis helps anyone who is having similar issues. The VCG easy DIY. If you have the time