Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 10-29-2013, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: N/A
Buying Used 2010 X3 - What to look for?

Hi everyone,

New to the forums, but I've been lurking a few days reading about the E83.

I'm in the process of negotiating a purchase of a MY2010 X3 from the owner, and the owner proposed we do the car inspection at the dealership. The car has ~69k km on it (42.9k miles).

I was wondering whether I should ask the dealer to look at anything specific during the inspection? I notice that there are some common potential problems like the transfer case, transmission, intake boot leak, differentials, coil springs etc. Is there a checklist that I can give to the dealer to check for?

If I get the full service records, what are red flags I should be looking for?

What should I look for during my own user inspection (I'm not a mechanic, so it would mostly be things like rattles, doors, etc that a layman can observe) and test drive that I might not detect if I didn't know what to look for?

I also note that water leaks from the sunroof or around the windshield/read window seals might be possible. Is this a problem fixed by MY2010?

Is it worth getting an extended warranty from the dealer?

I read that we ought to change the transfer case fluid and automatic transmission fluid every 30k miles, should I get this changed by someone after buying the car?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by x3vancouver; 10-29-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 10-29-2013, 11:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
A 2010 with 43K miles should be fairly straightforward to do a pre-purchase inspection on.

The advantage of buying privately is that you can try and get a good understanding of why the owner is selling.

If he presents a compelling case of why he is going to a new vehicle, and the dealership records don't show any repeated attempts to resolve any problems, should be plain sailing.

Make sure the A/T performs to your expectations and ask the owner how he liked the transmission. See if the records show any software updates.

If the inspection confirms correct fluid level in the diffs. and transfer case, I think you have a bit of time before needing new fluid for them and the A/T.

Make sure that they check off the engine mounts as good.

Confirm with the owner that most of the driving was on the highway and not tootling around town.

Only buy an extended warranty or maintenance service contract if they can offer a real deal. Otherwise probably better to self insure with a separate bank account for running costs.

You will be looking at F & R brakes and tires by around 90K kms. which will be a couple of thousand.

With a bit of luck, any other expenses over the next couple of years should be modest. Keep an eye on the cooling system though and electric water pump in particular.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:22 AM

Mein Auto: X3
have the dealer print the repair history
Old 10-29-2013, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3.0si
After having just joined the BMW X3 community about 1/2 a year ago I would recommend to only buy one that has an extended CPO warranty on it already. I purchase a 2007 with about 64k miles on it that had an immaculate exterior and interior and since then I've had into the dealer for approximately $5k in repairs and upgrades already all covered under the extended warranty. Knowing what I know about BMW's now I would not buy one without it. Also you need to be really sure the automatic transmission in this car fits you, it's ok if you drive the car hard and fast and don't mind manually shifting it when you need power, it's very different than any other auto trans I've ever driven. I am ok with it because I enjoy shifting to Sport drive when I need the power.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:53 PM

Thanks for the replies all, very valuable info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post
The advantage of buying privately is that you can try and get a good understanding of why the owner is selling.

If he presents a compelling case of why he is going to a new vehicle, and the dealership records don't show any repeated attempts to resolve any problems, should be plain sailing.
It seems like the seller is leaving the country, which seems to be their main reason for selling. Not sure if its a permanent leave or temporary, and they didn't elaborate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrdad View Post
Also you need to be really sure the automatic transmission in this car fits you, it's ok if you drive the car hard and fast and don't mind manually shifting it when you need power, it's very different than any other auto trans I've ever driven. I am ok with it because I enjoy shifting to Sport drive when I need the power.
I and my wife are quite used to driving our relative's 2013 X3, but given they are different models, are the driving characteristics drastically different? I read they have different handling and suspension stiffness, but not much mention of the transmission and shifting/acceleration.

About extended warranty:

I have a local mechanic who specializes in BMW work that I was going to take it to if I didn't get the extended CPO warranty. It all depends on how much the dealers would charge us for the extended warranty out here I guess. If the extended warranty is so critical to you, what will you do when that runs out?
Old 10-29-2013, 04:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3.0si
The differences between a 2013 and 2010 will be significant. 2010 Is a 6 cylinder with 6 speed auto, 2013 is a turbo 4 with an 8 speed auto. The CPO ran out in July, I'm just letting you know what X3 experience I've had and how much work I had done on it before it ran out. Regarding the warranty now the repairs will be out of my pocket and it appears I'm getting a flickering light notification warning light, so if it's a LCM it's going to be on me. Yes I would buy the car again, but I'm mechanically inclined when it needs fixing and I drive a motorcycle so I really enjoy the handling characteristics of it.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
The differences between a 2013 and 2010 will be significant. 2010 Is a 6 cylinder with 6 speed auto, 2013 is a turbo 4 with an 8 speed auto. The CPO ran out in July, I'm just letting you know what X3 experience I've had and how much work I had done on it before it ran out. Regarding the warranty now the repairs will be out of my pocket and it appears I'm getting a flickering light notification warning light, so if it's a LCM it's going to be on me. Yes I would buy the car again, but I'm mechanically inclined when it needs fixing and I drive a motorcycle so I really enjoy the handling characteristics of it.
The 2013 35i wouldn't be a turbo 4 but an inline 6 with 8 speed auto. The turbo 4 is on the 28i just for clarification.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:20 PM

Mein Auto: '08 X3, '08 535xiT (gone)
I think a 2010 with 43k miles should be ok as long as it passes a pre-purchase inspection and hasn't been in any major wrecks. Check that the ride is ok with you, as I understand the new ones ride a bit better.

It's still under the factory warranty, right? If it's not showing any chronic problems, and you know enough about cars to deal with a mechanic, then you might not benefit from an extended warranty. Like anything, it depends on your appetite for risk.

I haven't driven a 2013 X3, but my wife and I actually preferred the E83 over the F25 when we did our shopping. (We bought a 2008 last year.) Both have their advantages, but I preferred the looks and the relative simplicity of the E83. So far it's been a good car. Our timing was similar to yours, buying one right before it went out of warranty. I don't think we saved much money over buying a new one, though.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
The CPO ran out in July, I'm just letting you know what X3 experience I've had and how much work I had done on it before it ran out. Regarding the warranty now the repairs will be out of my pocket and it appears I'm getting a flickering light notification warning light, so if it's a LCM it's going to be on me. Yes I would buy the car again, but I'm mechanically inclined when it needs fixing and I drive a motorcycle so I really enjoy the handling characteristics of it.
Thanks for the feedback about the CPO actually, I really am struggling with the extended warranty, I'll just have to get more info from BMW. I enjoy the handling of the F25 and I suspect I'll like the E83, but I won't know till I try it. In general I prefer better handling cars and I guess I'm rolling the dice a little here as far as repairs go. My Audi was under warranty most of the time I owned it and the experience after 60k Km's even under warranty didn't inspire any loyalty at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwvwvw View Post
It's still under the factory warranty, right? If it's not showing any chronic problems, and you know enough about cars to deal with a mechanic, then you might not benefit from an extended warranty. Like anything, it depends on your appetite for risk.

I haven't driven a 2013 X3, but my wife and I actually preferred the E83 over the F25 when we did our shopping. (We bought a 2008 last year.) Both have their advantages, but I preferred the looks and the relative simplicity of the E83. So far it's been a good car. Our timing was similar to yours, buying one right before it went out of warranty. I don't think we saved much money over buying a new one, though.
I actually prefer the looks of the F25 and I'm happy with how it handles, but I didn't want to shell out for a brand new car. I'm very curious about your statement on not saving much money over buying new, is it because of the repair costs you got dinged with? Does this mean a person like myself, with no mechanical skills and who has no preference for the E83 over the F25 is better off buying a new car because the two will have similar total cost of ownership over something like a 5 year period?

I don't drive much (maybe 8-10k km per year) and I was figuring that over 5 years I'd see about ~$12k depreciation on the car, with a safety margin of $1000/yr of potential repairs/maintenance, working out to something like hopeful max ownership cost of $17,000 over 5 years. I think if I bought new that figure is closer to $30k. Does that sound reasonable, or am I totally off on my maintenance/repair exposure?
Old 10-30-2013, 11:06 PM

Mein Auto: '08 X3, '08 535xiT (gone)
I don't think you're completely off on the repair amounts. Three year time frames are easy to compare, since lease rates are published. In the US right now a 10k/year lease on an X3 carries a 62% residual, with some incentives. 38% of roughly 45k is 17k. Depreciation on the used car is anybody's guess...I'd venture 8k. Plus 1k/year for maintenance. Now you're at a 6k difference.

The details depend on the options you choose, how good you are at negotiating the purchase prices, assumed costs of the used car, and whether 6k over three years is worth it to you, yada yada yada. If you find a used one you really like, maybe it's worth it. With a new one there's no guessing about what kind of shape it's in.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:54 PM

I wish it were that straightforward over here in Canada. I think the big difference is our residual is lower and we have a lot more upfront fees and taxes. Here a 2014 X3 28i with Premium package is $46,750 . We also have fees and dealer PDI totalling usually around $2900, plus a 12% tax on top of that. Total price out of pocket after fees and taxes: $55,608 (assuming you pay full retail). Residual value after 3yrs from the official bmw.ca site is $25,750. If you sell at 3k above residual after 3 yrs you've spent just under $27k owning the car. We have to pay the same 12% sales on purchases of used vehicles from the owner, but at the much reduced price of say $25k for a 2010 X3, the total price after taxes is $28k. Using the 8k depreciation + 1/year maintenance of the used car + $3k tax, total cost of 3 yrs on the 2010 is 14k vs 27k for the new 2014 .

I'm totally with you on no guessing at what shape the car is in or how is was treated before you got your hands on it though. Sometimes that peace of mind is worth the added cost.

I wonder if the cost of ownership swings back in favour of starting out with the new car if you expand out to 6+ years though, as the used car will require much more expensive repairs and maintenance.