Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 diesel
AC on or off in the winter?

do you guys turn off the AC in the winter?? or keep it on all the time?
except when there is condensation on the windows i know you have to tunr it on..
any ideas?
thanks
Ads by Google
Old 10-27-2013, 10:37 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
on all the time. Helps preserve the interior (ie leather, carpeting) by controlling humidity- irrespectibve on window fogging.

Last edited by ard; 10-27-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI

I'm not a fan of processed air. I'm more of a windows cracked open and sunroof on vent type of guy so AC is generally off unless I need cooler air on highway trips or it's raining / snowing. Given where I live, the AC is off 80% of the time.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 10-27-2013, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3; 2010 528;2013 X5
I think leaving it on "helps lubricate the moving parts" in the AC - or so I think I read once.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Re: AC on or off in the winter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ce200 View Post
do you guys turn off the AC in the winter??
Define "winter". A/C isn't working when it's below 40 or smthg like that.

P.S. lol @ keeping humidity out in winter. Cold air is dry by itself. Just ask your skin.

Last edited by smyles; 10-27-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:25 PM
Don't be a hammer

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d
I run the compressor a few times a month in the winter, but generally it's off.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:38 AM

Mein Auto: '13 X5 35i M Sport

The compressor is the single largest drag on the engine. Takes power and reduces fuel economy. Mine is off unless needed. Always switch it manually even when hvac is on auto.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:02 AM

Mein Auto: '11 X5 50i, '04 HD VRSCA
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymi View Post
The compressor is the single largest drag on the engine. Takes power and reduces fuel economy. Mine is off unless needed. Always switch it manually even when hvac is on auto.
Is there any variant of the 'auto' mode where the system will automatically determine (via temp/humidity delta) when to turn the AC on/off?
Old 10-28-2013, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: E83 X3 and E70 X5
yeah, turn the temperature up a little.

edit: be sure the controls for the rear passengers isn't set to something really cold.

Last edited by xx; 10-28-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 750i | 2010 X5
I leave my AC on year round. I have never had to recharge an AC either as I believe usage it better than non-usage. I don't notice a big drag on the engine with the AC on either so I don't believe it causes any issues.
'10 E70 X5 xdrive30i sport | rear shades | rear climate | iPod/USB | Sat Radio | DVD in Motion activated
'03 E53 X5 3.0 | Premium | Rear Climate | Xenons | Privacy Glass
Old 10-29-2013, 03:44 AM

Mein Auto: 535i, 330ci
I leave mine on all year too. Even in foul Winter weather in the Northeast, the windows clear and it helps evaporate some of the moisture that builds up in the interior.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:09 PM
DeanLinAZ

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35i Sport Act.
My A/C has been switched on continuously since we picked up our X5 at the dealership on September 6, 2011. BTW, the compressor only operates when the cabin temperature calls for it. The magnetic clutch lets the compressor rest otherwise.

Previous: 2008 535i, 2001 740iL (euro del)
Old 10-30-2013, 11:10 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
Define "winter". A/C isn't working when it's below 40 or smthg like that.

P.S. lol @ keeping humidity out in winter. Cold air is dry by itself. Just ask your skin.
lol?

when the air is heated it can hold moisture- simply as the temperature is changed water molecules move into and out of the air.

In a car, you have a cabin of moisture laden air - remember the warm air has blown over wet shoes, melting snow, etc....then you turn off the car and everything cools. And the moisture deposits into the interior of the car.

lol indeed.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:32 PM

Mein Auto: 1 Series

I live in the DC area, which is a swamp, even in the cooler months. A/C 100% of the time to keep windows clear, to control humidity and odor, and to prolong the life of the A/C itself. #1 cause of premature A/C failure: lack of regular use.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:13 AM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
I leave it on practically all the time, unless it is a bit warm, not hot, and I want to run with wide open windows.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
lol?

when the air is heated it can hold moisture- simply as the temperature is changed water molecules move into and out of the air.

In a car, you have a cabin of moisture laden air - remember the warm air has blown over wet shoes, melting snow, etc....then you turn off the car and everything cools. And the moisture deposits into the interior of the car.

lol indeed.
You do realize when you heat cold air, you don't add 'moisture' to it and the humidity drops since it's relative? Yes, warm air can absorb more moisture and hence drying it helps to fight condensation, hence a/c is turned on during the windshield defrost cycle. And yes, when warm air with more absorbed moisture gets in contact with cold parts, you'll see condensation.

But if you turn on A/C when it's below freezing temps outside, what do you think happens to a/c components before the engine compartment and cabin warm up?
Old 10-31-2013, 09:39 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
You do realize when you heat cold air, you don't add 'moisture' to it and the humidity drops since it's relative? Yes, warm air can absorb more moisture and hence drying it helps to fight condensation, hence a/c is turned on during the windshield defrost cycle. And yes, when warm air with more absorbed moisture gets in contact with cold parts, you'll see condensation.

But if you turn on A/C when it's below freezing temps outside, what do you think happens to a/c components before the engine compartment and cabin warm up?
So.. yes, just taking a volume of air without any external influences and changing the temerautre up or down will not 'change the moisture content'- the RH changes, but not the actual mositure.

But we are talking about a car, right? Not a high school physics class...

Glad you agree that the AC running can pull moisture out of the warm air, allowing it to condense out and drain.

Now, you last question.... I actually dont know what will happen. After all, modern AC systems have pressure and limit swtiches, and the old "it will freeze uo" situation ended in the 1970s. I suspect the BMW system will look at internal, external and coolant temeratures (all three) and make decision about when to engage the AC compressor to achieve the temp desired AND provide some dehumidiifcation.
]

Say, after typing this I'll try and find that BMW tech manual on E70 HVAC if it is around the web....

A
Old 10-31-2013, 10:21 AM

In a car such as E70 with any kind of air circulation your body heat and expiration aren't significant enough to affect the cabin humidity to the point it becomes an issue (not to mention leather and dryness don't like each other.

But yes, please find and read an E70 HVAC manual to see how far advanced modern a/c units become that laws of physics don't apply anymore and can be ignored.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:21 PM

Mein Auto: X6
Leave it on always. If not you will get that stale water smell from the system as moisture is left in there when turned off or not used.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:56 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
In a car such as E70 with any kind of air circulation your body heat and expiration aren't significant enough to affect the cabin humidity to the point it becomes an issue (not to mention leather and dryness don't like each other.

But yes, please find and read an E70 HVAC manual to see how far advanced modern a/c units become that laws of physics don't apply anymore and can be ignored.
http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/pdf/e7...%20Systems.pdf

1. I never said your body and expiration are the cause humidity- you posited that so you could then knock it down as if it were my argument. You get moisture inside from warm air passing over wet: shoes, clothes, floor mats, melting snow.

2. I am not understanding the 'laws of physics' argument....

Read the document.

The system will turn on the AC compressor when it needs cool air or needs to dehumidify. It apparently has a sensor that will detect condensation on the glass before it is visible to the user...

IMO the old 'robs power' and 'uses more gas' is a thing of the past with non-variable compressors. Just MHO

A
Old 11-01-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
The system will turn on the AC compressor when it needs cool air or needs to dehumidify....
Precisely - even if you press A/C button and have that green light on, A/C won't work in many if not all winter conditions (if we talk about real winter, i.e. close or below freezing temps, not say the San Diego type winter). So even if you think you're protecting your interior components - and again, who in their right mind intentionally subjects leather to ultra-dry processed air?? - in reality in winter it's moot.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:21 AM

What is winter? I use my AC all year round.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 Harley FXCWC
Quote:
IMO the old 'robs power' and 'uses more gas' is a thing of the past with non-variable compressors. Just MHO
My idle RPMs drops a little bit when I switch off the compressor. Thats why I leave the AC off when I don't need it.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:20 AM
Ja mei!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkhk View Post
What is winter? I use my AC all year round.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:28 AM

Tiny RK

Are you OK? I have no idea what your picture means. Please translate for me as I must be thick.