Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:32 AM

Mein Auto: x5,525i
EGR Cooler Problem or Valve seals ?

Hi guys , really need your help with identifying my problem . I have an e70 2007 x5 Diesel.

a) After approx 5 minutes of idling , whitish smoke is discharged from the exhaust. After cutting off the smoke takes about 2 minutes to stop.

b) The smoke smells. I have read about this being smelt in the cabin but i DONT have a cabin smoke problem.

c)I have a Right hand Drive . If i pass my finger in the Right side exhaust , it is a bit "wetter" with black residue. The left side is more powdery but black

I have read many posts about the EGR Cooler being the problem but i am not getting cabin smell.

Any suggestions of causes or possible solutions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Old 10-29-2013, 08:06 AM

Any ideas on my problem ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khemy View Post
Hi guys , really need your help with identifying my problem . I have an e70 2007 x5 Diesel.

a) After approx 5 minutes of idling , whitish smoke is discharged from the exhaust. After cutting off the smoke takes about 2 minutes to stop.

b) The smoke smells. I have read about this being smelt in the cabin but i DONT have a cabin smoke problem.

c)I have a Right hand Drive . If i pass my finger in the Right side exhaust , it is a bit "wetter" with black residue. The left side is more powdery but black

I have read many posts about the EGR Cooler being the problem but i am not getting cabin smell.

Any suggestions of causes or possible solutions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:42 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:

After cutting off the smoke takes about 2 minutes to stop.
what does this mean? 'cutting off'?

You turn the car off and for two minutes white smoke billows from the exhaust?

How is you coolant level? Any chance you have a coolant leak into the combustion chambers?
Old 10-29-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
what does this mean? 'cutting off'? i meant after switching off the engine the smoke usually takes approx a min to go away.

You turn the car off and for two minutes white smoke billows from the exhaust?

How is you coolant level? Any chance you have a coolant leak into the combustion chambers?
Also the vehicle has only done 35000 kms.

Thanks
Old 10-29-2013, 11:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5
what's the status of the SCR system?
Old 10-31-2013, 09:34 AM

BMW had a look yesterday and said that they believe that the intake manifold has to be changed. The vehicle was stuttering a bit when idling , which suggested to them that there is some sort of leak. This is what is contributing to the oil being burnt and smoke. Does this make sense ?
Old 10-31-2013, 10:41 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Dude, you failed to respond to our specific questions, and are coming back asking more???

Do what you want. If you want opinions and help, then answer questions.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
Probably thinks "the bmw engineers" fixed the problem. After all they "believe" that was the culprit. From first try. No more need to answer miscellaneous questions on forum anymore.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:17 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

There is this paradoxical thing that happens with people and dealers, in that those folks that are totally ignorant** tend to accept what dealers say at face value- they shrug, and think "Well they are the experts" and open their wallets. On the other hand, people with mechanical skills tend to ask more questions. Those with good solid knowledge downright dont trust them to do anything.

You dont 'have a look' and decide to change the intake manifold. You look at the smoke, determine if it is coolant, look at the coolant levels, test the oil, etc, etc...before spending $4000. Hell, if you've been mixing oil and coolant, and the oil is contaminated and youve been driving for months, the engine may be toast- even if it is running. People that dont know, dont know what to ask dealers...who themselves are questionable, especially at outposts in far away places.

** (note- this is "not car people' ignorant, or 'not mechanically inclined', and not stupid or dumb, OK?)
Old 10-31-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Dude, you failed to respond to our specific questions, and are coming back asking more???

Do what you want. If you want opinions and help, then answer questions.
Sorry , the only question i did not answer is about the "SCR system" ! Only because i have no clue about it. I am new to the vehicle and not very knowledgeable about the mechanics of the vehicle .

Also i may have missed this but the coolant level is always full.

Thanks for your comments.

Last edited by Khemy; 10-31-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to lpcapital Send a message via MSN to lpcapital Send a message via Yahoo to lpcapital Send a message via Skype™ to lpcapital
Mein Auto: Wasp & Duc
Quote:
Sorry , the only question i did not answer is about the "SCR system" ! Only because i have no clue about it. I am new to the vehicle and not very knowledgeable about the mechanics of the vehicle .

Also i may have missed this but the coolant level is always full.

Thanks for your comments.
You don't have an SCR (selective cathalist reduction - or horse-pee): this was first implemented in 2009 in the US model. You have an 07 which is a ROW/EU model so no SCR.

You also only have the high pressure EGR, which is the harmonica looking thing in the front of the car (the double EGR was first introduced by BMW in the US); if the coolant is fine than it's not that leaking (or something else for that matter).

As far as the leaking intake, the only thing i'd say is that because of the EGR which works at idle, you should be smelling diesel or see little puffs of smoke if you open the hood or you should see areas where the soot leaks out. I'd start carefully inspecting that, starting with removing the plastic engine cover, and maybe give it a wash so any leak is more visible. Nonetheless it would stink like diesel in the engine bay... And not just lightly

The other thing that comes to mind is a leak from one of the seals on the turbo: it's just a S.W.A.G. but it wouldn't be unheard of...

ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750

Last edited by lpcapital; 11-01-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpcapital View Post
You don't have an SCR (selective cathalist reduction - or horse-pee): this was first implemented in 2009 in the US model. You have an 07 which is a ROW/EU model so no SCR.

You also only have the high pressure EGR, which is the harmonica looking thing in the front of the car (the double EGR was first introduced by BMW in the US); if the coolant is fine than it's not that leaking (or something else for that matter).

As far as the leaking intake, the only thing i'd say is that because of the EGR which works at idle, you should be smelling diesel or see little puffs of smoke if you open the hood or you should see areas where the soot leaks out. I'd start carefully inspecting that, starting with removing the plastic engine cover, and maybe give it a wash so any leak is more visible. Nonetheless it would stink like diesel in the engine bay... And not just lightly

The other thing that comes to mind is a leak from one of the seals on the turbo: it's just a S.W.A.G. but it wouldn't be unheard of...

Thanks for taking time to reply. Much appreciated. Will have an update for you soon. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of it. Thanks again.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: X5d
fwiw, I have 4000 miles on my 2013 x5d. I got a reduced power error for about 30 seconds then it was gone. I took it to the dealer and they said it was the egr valve and replaced it. The service manager said they have seen a few of these recently.