Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-26-2013, 06:50 PM
bmw34e bmw34e is offline
bmw fan
Location: Tulsa
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 93
Mein Auto: bmw e34
Video on changing the oil pan gasket guys!

Alright guys, so i found a video on how to change the oil pan gasket and it looks really complex.


heres the link guys if you need it
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 10-27-2013, 01:19 PM
goosefoot33's Avatar
goosefoot33 goosefoot33 is online now
Manualaholic
Location: Hudson, MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,774
Mein Auto: 01 330Ci/94 530i
On the M50 it is very tough. I don't have the time to watch all 25 minutes of the video, but I believe it involves dropping part of the subframe? I was very glad to have an M60 when my OPG started leaking - just unbolt and go!
__________________
BMWCCA Member# 451235
(Summer) 2001 330Ci - ZSP
(Winter) 1994 530i "Greenie" - PARTING OUT! (PM for details)

(Grocery Getter) 2002 525iT
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-27-2013, 04:33 PM
BMR_LVR's Avatar
BMR_LVR BMR_LVR is offline
Humble E34 lover
Location: Asheboro, NC
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,264
Mein Auto: 1992 525i
I watched the entire video. Nice, but ...... uh ...... they did not put the bolt back through the lower control arm bracket

Oh yeah, I doubt I would try to tackle this myself... especially if I did not have access to a lift.
__________________
Most problems are usually something simple !

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-27-2013, 06:09 PM
bmw34e bmw34e is offline
bmw fan
Location: Tulsa
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 93
Mein Auto: bmw e34
Video on changing the oil pan gasket guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR_LVR View Post
I watched the entire video. Nice, but ...... uh ...... they did not put the bolt back through the lower control arm bracket

Oh yeah, I doubt I would try to tackle this myself... especially if I did not have access to a lift.
I know! I am leaking kinda heavily but thought it would be my oil pan. I actually think I am leaking from 3 different places lol. Would leaking harm tth engine at all. Just a minor leak. Here's a pic of the leaking on the ground by just sitting two days Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1382922544.938213.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	404360


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-27-2013, 06:10 PM
bmw34e bmw34e is offline
bmw fan
Location: Tulsa
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 93
Mein Auto: bmw e34
Video on changing the oil pan gasket guys!

Whenever the oil is full it leaks and kinda halfway it doesn't leak much but I think I am going to go insane not knowing exactly were the leak is since everything is greased up!!


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-27-2013, 06:30 PM
BMR_LVR's Avatar
BMR_LVR BMR_LVR is offline
Humble E34 lover
Location: Asheboro, NC
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,264
Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw34e View Post
I know! I am leaking kinda heavily but thought it would be my oil pan. I actually think I am leaking from 3 different places lol. Would leaking harm tth engine at all. Just a minor leak. Here's a pic of the leaking on the ground by just sitting two days Attachment 404360


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
It shouldn't hurt your engine as long as you don't let the oil level get below the low mark. Even then, there is likely some safety built in. I have a mild leak that I think is coming from the oil filter canister housing. I probably won't try to tackle it until the spring. I just keep a close watch on my oil level.
__________________
Most problems are usually something simple !

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-27-2013, 06:38 PM
bmw34e bmw34e is offline
bmw fan
Location: Tulsa
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 93
Mein Auto: bmw e34
Video on changing the oil pan gasket guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR_LVR View Post
It shouldn't hurt your engine as long as you don't let the oil level get below the low mark. Even then, there is likely some safety built in. I have a mild leak that I think is coming from the oil filter canister housing. I probably won't try to tackle it until the spring. I just keep a close watch on my oil level.
I always keep an eye on it but once the level was at halfway and I turned the car on an it was idling really rough and that was the first time to turn it on since two days. And I could hear this weird whistling noise.. Like the belt or something but it wasn't. So I turned it off and checked the oil and it was just below the low line. I was like no...I did not just damage the engine lol.. Added it up to the full line and it idled fine but still hear this whistling noise until it is warmed up an it would go away. But if I rev it I will see a smoke just once and then won't see anymore.. Just a small amount of smoke.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-27-2013, 06:49 PM
BMR_LVR's Avatar
BMR_LVR BMR_LVR is offline
Humble E34 lover
Location: Asheboro, NC
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,264
Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw34e View Post
I always keep an eye on it but once the level was at halfway and I turned the car on an it was idling really rough and that was the first time to turn it on since two days. And I could hear this weird whistling noise.. Like the belt or something but it wasn't. So I turned it off and checked the oil and it was just below the low line. I was like no...I did not just damage the engine lol.. Added it up to the full line and it idled fine but still hear this whistling noise until it is warmed up an it would go away. But if I rev it I will see a smoke just once and then won't see anymore.. Just a small amount of smoke.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I can't imagine a link between oil just below the "low" mark and your symptoms. I would look for a vacuum leak.
__________________
Most problems are usually something simple !

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-31-2013, 12:37 PM
Bugsie Bugsie is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Portugal
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 275
Mein Auto: BMW E34 M50 2.5
Hi al.

Changing the oil pan is no big deal on the M50. Just patience.

Ahhh. It goes much easier if you have some kind of lift to hoist the engine. Otherwise it will be nearly impossible. If anyone interested on that just let know.

I think I have a write-up somewhere from when I changed mine. IThat and a lot more. But Im getting lasy to turn the computer on. Maybe during winter time.

There's a hoist that can be put on the fenders and then move two chains and turn the knobs for the lift.

Cheers

Fernando
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms