Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 10-31-2013, 08:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
How Transfer iPhone Music Library to Car vis Bluetooth?

Using an iPhone 5, connected via Bluetooth, is it possible to transfer the music library stored on the phone to the car?

Using the Bluetooth connection, I regularly play Pandora through my iPhone 5 and have full access to the contacts on this phone. I am not, however, able to search through my 3300 song music library. I recently wanted to play songs by a specific artist and was unable to do so using iDrive.

I typically have no problem manipulating the idrive system but this has kicked my butt so I am thinking it is just not possible, via Bluetooth, to copy the music library to the cars hard drive.

Last edited by RhoXS; 10-31-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Advertisement
Old 10-31-2013, 08:28 AM
Is this thing on?

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 35i
I was wondering the same thing! But you are not alone as for getting kicked... I still am not sure if my 2014 35i even has a hard drive since I did not get the tech package.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:35 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
This is a fairly complicated area where the features that are available depends on the exact options and year model of your vehicle.

All BMWs with iDrive have a hard drive. That's all F25s. The size of the drive depends on if you have a Nav option (609). How you get Nav depends on the year model. in 2014, you can order it separately or as part of the Tech Package. My recollection is that it is 20 GB by default and is increased to 200 GB if you have the Nav (609) option.

Transfer of music to the hard drive happens via the USB cable only. Not via Bluetooth. What things you can do via bluetooth depends on other options (the name and number of the option varies with year model), but if you want all the bluetooth bells and whistles in 2014, you make sure you have option 6NS (Enhanced USB and Bluetooth plus Smartphone Integration). In 2014 it is included with 609 (and therefore included with Tech Pkg). All 2014 X3 include basic bluetooth integration (6NH Hands-free Bluetooth and USB audio connection) standard as part of the base car.

Now what do you get with these options. Well, it depends on exactly what phone and OS you have. Complicated, huh?

That's why BMW has a website for that:
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...hframedin.aspx
Plug in your VIN and it knows what options you have. Then choose your phone or device and service provider (AT&T, Verizon, etc) and it will tell you what you can and cannot do with your device in your car. You can also just put in the year model, choose the device and then it gives you a table showing the different tiers of capability based on options on the car.

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine

Last edited by Liverman; 11-01-2013 at 06:38 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i-M Space Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
Using an iPhone 5, connected via Bluetooth, is it possible to transfer the music library stored on the phone to the car?

Using the Bluetooth connection, I regularly play Pandora through my iPhone 5 and have full access to the contacts on this phone. I am not, however, able to search through my 3300 song music library. I recently wanted to play songs by a specific artist and was unable to do so using iDrive.

I typically have no problem manipulating the idrive system but this has kicked my butt so I am thinking it is just not possible, via Bluetooth, to copy the music library to the cars hard drive.
I've read this a couple of times...I dont think that you want to COPY the music to the car, but instead you wish to STREAM it to the car, no?

Copying it to the car, as stated above, is only done over usb, and only with certain kinds of music files (not itunes native files). The music is stored in the vehicle, regarless of your phone's presence.

Streaming the music means all of the music library remains on your phone. This is akin to the car being essentially a pair of bluetooth headphones as far as the phone is concerned. This requires you select your phone under the media options, AND the bluetooth profile for the phone has music/media enabled (settings:connections:bluetoothhone enable for both phone and media). Different phones behave differently. I dont have an iphone so I dont know how it acts-that is what you refer to the bmw web site for. I think some versions of iOS paired with the newest idrive shows album art and all, some (many I'd guess) just stream the audio, allow track forward/back and that is about it.