Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 11-01-2013, 12:32 PM

Mein Auto: 525i
Some One Please help

The new ignition housing arrived, finally is the right one. Though they did send me a unit that had a broken bolt where the ground wire should be mounted. I chiseled tapped out the bolts that clamp the unit to the steering column and replaced with Allan head bolts instead of the break away torx security fasteners. Now for putting it back together.............there are two thick washers or maybe call collars, on with a taper cut into it. I suppose the taper fits over the wire snap ring. Trouble is I have to pull on the shaft to get it to come forward enough to install the un-tapered washer and also more pressure to have it beyond the snap ring groove. Then ONCE (if ever) the snap ring is in its groove the other tapered washer fits over it (provides a sure means of keeping the snap ring in place). I bought a snap ring pliers and a ring with the holes to use and it install easy, but alas the wholes make it to wide for the tapered collar to fit over. Have tried 5 hrs on and off to do this or rig things to do this BUT I AM still at square one. ANYONE ever do this on an E34 and if so HOW????

i can not even get the snap ring on the shaft without the extra parts in place. The steering bolt is being used to hold and pull it out but this is not good due to my hands being occupied when I need to be securing the first washer and wire snap ring. ARGH!!! ANY proven ideas?????????????

Good point is I can now tear down and reinstall the lock housing in 5 mins. Bet when I am all done I could redo it from fully installed with steering wheel mounted and torn totally down to installed lock housing in 15 mins tops. BUT UNTIL I get this snap ring problem figured out, the car is a boat anchor.

Last edited by Whidbey54; 11-01-2013 at 12:37 PM. Reason: wrong word
Ads by Google