Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 10-31-2013, 08:20 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 328i
Transmission goes to N itself

I encountered the same problem twice during the first month of driving my new X3 35i. I had engine auto start/stop on and auto-hold on as well. When the car was fully stopped, the engine was stopped automatically. And after sometime, I tried to move the car by stepping on the gas pedal. All of sudden, I felt the car roll back and found the transmission was in neutral but it should be in 'D'. I don't understand why this was happen or is it by design by any chance? I remember at the time my wife got off the car and then got on when the car was in 'D' but engine was automatic off. Has anyone else have the same issue before? Any suggestions?

Last edited by duyushui1; 10-31-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2013, 06:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
I have had that happen to me a few times, usually during stop and go traffic. Sometimes the auto start stop system gets confused and it sets the transmission to neutral. I had my X3 reprogram to shut off the ASS and I do not use it in traffic anymore.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
If the car goes into neutral by itself, that is a flaw and should be investigated.

I note that you can move the shift lever from D to N without depressing the side button. I find myself forgetting that the car is in regular mode and trying to downshift and putting the car in "N" while driving. I have a theory that a casual swipe of the jacket cuff could move the lever while at the stop light. I have not tested my thoery, but I offer it for consideration here.

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine
Old 11-01-2013, 01:51 PM

I reported the issue to the dealer, and I was told it's first time they heard of the issue. They asked me to drive the car to their service department. I'll update when I got a result.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:03 PM

The X3 has been in the shop for 4 working days, they haven't been able to duplicate the problem.... Maybe I shouldn't send it to the shop
Old 11-08-2013, 09:58 PM

Transmission goes to N itself

Got the car back from the shop, they found nothing but just upgrade software

Btw, why I feel 328i is more powerful than x3 35i?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-09-2013, 05:22 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i-M Space Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by duyushui1 View Post
Got the car back from the shop, they found nothing but just upgrade software

Btw, why I feel 328i is more powerful than x3 35i?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I would suggest very carefully watching yourself for the next several days and make sure you aren't bumping the shifter in any way. it doesn't take much to knock it into neutral, either by resting your hand on the lever or bumping it.

Your sensation of the 328 being more powerful is probably a mistaken sensation of the 328 being more nimble than x3. It's physics. X3 is 1000 pounds heavier than a 3 series, and has a higher center of gravity. It wont behave the same as the car.