Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 F15 (2014 - Current)

X5 F15 (2014 - Current)
The all new F15 BMW X5 started production August 2013 as a 2014 model year. The new X5 arrives in sDrive35i (RWD), xDrive35i, xDrive50i and a diesel xDrive 35d.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 08-02-2013, 10:14 AM
ViperBoy2 ViperBoy2 is offline
Registered User
Location: Saratoga, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: 535xit
I'm not sure if the 8spd tranny has the same auto-learn as the 6spd, but the 6 with 3.0 turbo engine has serious issues with over compensating. Drive around town like a normal person for a few weeks and it thinks you have become a grandparent. Dog slow off the line - even dangerous.

However, if you do the 30 second tap dance on the throttle, it resets back to aggressive shifting and loses the lag. A friend just bought a 2010 335 from the dealer w/ the same problem - he made them reset the car before buying it and was MUCH happier. You just have to do this every month

For some reason my wife's 2008 4.8 6A is overly sensitive and could actually be less abrupt. My 2011 X5M 6A is excellent (both M and non-M modes are just right for each mode) though maybe a bit aggressive in upshifting under light loads (fuel economy)
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-11-2013, 05:08 PM
ndabunka's Avatar
ndabunka ndabunka is offline
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black
Location: Charlotte, NC
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,668
Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
Imagine the pricing on the M50d for the NA market. LOL It would probably slot either at or equal to the base 50i and below the X5M
Perfectly fine. I'd buy one as would many others and I stated that FACT to the development team when we reviewed the 2014 X5's during preview. All he could say was "It would be nice" but he didn't project US availability ANYTIME soon.

The new 8 speed transmission would NOT FIT with the old engine so logically there HAD to be a new engine.

One VERY IMPORTANT note on the new transmission that all here appear to be missing...
These 8 speed transmissions have the ability/feature that they can go into a zero revs/eco mode even while traveling at interstate speeds. Yes, even the Diesel version will have this ability. That means that the fuel economy gains will come not JUST from the additional 2 gears but also will be variable based on the WAY the owners drive their cars. I can envision a trip down the mountain getting 50MPH and the same trip up the mountain getting the a mile or two BETTER fuel economy than my current X5
__________________


'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)

Last edited by ndabunka; 08-11-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-12-2013, 09:21 AM
Marwan Marwan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 339
Mein Auto: 2012 X5 xDrive 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
...
One VERY IMPORTANT note on the new transmission that all here appear to be missing...
These 8 speed transmissions have the ability/feature that they can go into a zero revs/eco mode even while traveling at interstate speeds. Yes, even the Diesel version will have this ability. That means that the fuel economy gains will come not JUST from the additional 2 gears but also will be variable based on the WAY the owners drive their cars. I can envision a trip down the mountain getting 50MPH and the same trip up the mountain getting the a mile or two BETTER fuel economy than my current X5
So if one lifts their foot off the accelarator and the car is cruising on a downward slope, the RPM will go down to zero until one accelerates again?
__________________
Retired:
2006 330i
2010 X5 35d
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-21-2013, 08:24 AM
Augsburg57 Augsburg57 is offline
Registered User
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: 2012 X5 xDrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
That's interesting.. last year, the majority of diesel owners I read prefer the 6 speed transmission because of complaints of "too much spending time searching for the right gear" and / or "too many gears to switch". Now that it will be a part of the diesel platform... I'm curious to learn how many will ACTUALLY complain
Last year, I test drove a gas 2012 and the diesel. I chose the diesel because of the torque and the 6-speed transmission. The 2012 diesel drove much smoother and more powerfully. I preferred the 6-speed because it did not make the engine constantly change gears. Over the last year, I have been very happy with my choice. I think the 8-speed is a marketing gimmick and to post better theoretical numbers. Not necessarily an improvement.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-21-2013, 08:31 AM
Augsburg57 Augsburg57 is offline
Registered User
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: 2012 X5 xDrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
Fact: More gears allow Diesel Engines to stay in their Ideal Power band, thus improving driving performance and pleasure
Fact: BMW literally cannot get programming on their transmissions in recent years down. They stumble, hesitate, or having stalling conditions
Fact: BMW stumbles on their programming regardless of transmission MFG: GM or ZF
Fact: Check out username: Needsdecaf's recent on post on the F10 section. Detailed account of his problem (same transmission), recount of time with the BMW district rep and engineer.
Opinion: The 6 speed is nice, albeit it has some issues with high rpm at hwy cruise speed (if your use to 7 or 8 speed transmissions in your other cars). The 8 speed is gonna take a dump on diesel aficionados if we are to judge how it will behave based on the current 8 speed offerings.

just saying
Not "fact" - mostly theory - with plenty of opinion thrown in. In real life I find the above statements do not pan out. The 6-speed gives the diesel plenty of range to rev within the limits that engine thrives. This is not a low speed diesel like you find in a ship. The engine has been designed to rev through a broad range of rpm's. When your speed is constant, the engine with the 6-speed does find a low speed regime to run economically. You do need to shift to sport mode, if you want to drive more aggressively, however.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 08-27-2013, 01:03 PM
Kzang's Avatar
Kzang Kzang is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,701
Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augsburg57 View Post
Last year, I test drove a gas 2012 and the diesel. I chose the diesel because of the torque and the 6-speed transmission. The 2012 diesel drove much smoother and more powerfully. I preferred the 6-speed because it did not make the engine constantly change gears. Over the last year, I have been very happy with my choice. I think the 8-speed is a marketing gimmick and to post better theoretical numbers. Not necessarily an improvement.
OMG... why in the world would BMW jeopardize their Diesel line by adding in the 8 speed trans...
__________________
2013 X5 35i Premium, Space Gray, Cinnamon Brown Leather, Dark Bamboo wood trim, Conv. Pkg, CWP, Multi-contour seats, Running board, BMW App. Space saver tire.
Previous Cars
2010 535i - Deep Sea Blue w/ NBD Leather, Bamboo Anthracite WT, Sport Auto Trans w/ Paddle shifter, Sports Pkg, PP, CWP, Nav, HD Radio, Ipod.
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-29-2013, 08:27 AM
windsor027's Avatar
windsor027 windsor027 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: McLean VA
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,675
Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
it blows my mind that some of you guys are "cutting down" the 8-speed AT for the 6-speed. Living with the 6-speed everyday and having driven numerous times the 8-speed, to me at least its like night a day. 8-speed wins hands down. Now how this is going to translate to the diesel, none of us know, but for me the 8-speed is a much better transmission.
__________________
2014 X3 35i Dynamic Handling Package| Cold Weather Package | NAV | Premium hi-fi system | Driver Assistance Package.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-29-2013, 03:18 PM
AutoUnion's Avatar
AutoUnion AutoUnion is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,095
Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsor027 View Post
it blows my mind that some of you guys are "cutting down" the 8-speed AT for the 6-speed. Living with the 6-speed everyday and having driven numerous times the 8-speed, to me at least its like night a day. 8-speed wins hands down. Now how this is going to translate to the diesel, none of us know, but for me the 8-speed is a much better transmission.
x10000.

After driving all the various MB models with the 7 speed, and the various Audi/VW diesels with the 8AT, the 8AT is superior in every way. Smoother, more efficient, and shifts even faster.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-29-2013, 05:03 PM
alex md alex md is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NORTH NJ
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 774
Mein Auto: 2014 X5 50 M sport
BMW new Diesel version for 2014

May be i am missing something, but 2014 diesel is single turbo vs twin turbo on a previous models??????, therefore after specific rpm it will not accelerate no matter how many speeds you have?????


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
2014 X5 50 Msport
2013 X3 3.5 ZMP,ZCW,ZPP,Carbon black/black/wife/ 2011-2014 550xi M sport/ED/
2007-2011 X5.4.8/E70/
2010-2012 GLK 350/wife/
2008-2011-328XI
2004-2007-CLK55
2007-2010-X3 3.0
2001-2004-A8 4.2
2004-2007 X5 3.0/E53/
1999-2001-SL500
1996-1999-ML320 4MATIC
1992-1995-VOLVO 850 TURBO
1990-1992-525I
1987-1990-OLDSMOBILE CS
1981-1987-LADA/VAZ 2103
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-29-2013, 06:21 PM
AutoUnion's Avatar
AutoUnion AutoUnion is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,095
Mein Auto: German
Re: BMW new Diesel version for 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex md View Post
May be i am missing something, but 2014 diesel is single turbo vs twin turbo on a previous models??????, therefore after specific rpm it will not accelerate no matter how many speeds you have?????


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
That's ridiculous. It's twin scroll. The N55 is also a single turbo.

- Sent from Galaxy S4
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-09-2013, 06:56 PM
obmd1's Avatar
obmd1 obmd1 is offline
only one screen name
Location: location location
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 8,150
Send a message via AIM to obmd1
Mein Auto: '14 X5 35D
yeah yeah yeah.. when can I go to BMWUSA.COM and find "build your own" up to date? When can I order one?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-04-2013, 06:49 AM
Bart001's Avatar
Bart001 Bart001 is offline
Hofmeister kink ftw!1!!1!
Location: Massachusetts
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,477
Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i Premium
I've been driving my 2012 35i for a little over 2 years now and the 30d is my leading candidate for a replacement when my lease expires in August 2014. At that time my commute will be 4.7 miles of city-type driving each way Mon-Fri. Although my company would give me a nice preferred garage parking space if I drove a hybrid or electric, I just can't find one that I want. (The least fuel efficient hybrids don't qualify.)

I've never had a complaint about the 8 sp in my 35i. Rather, I still find myself bracing for a THUD when I do a slightly rolling stop/start from a stop sign due to being mentally scarred by the AT in my 2008 535xi. That tranny was awful in that situation, and would SLAM into first. I have not recovered from it apparently!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-04-2013, 07:12 AM
d geek d geek is offline
diesel evangelist
Location: San Antonio, TX, USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,032
Mein Auto: Camry hybrid + MB e300D-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart001 View Post
...my commute will be 4.7 miles of city-type driving each way Mon-Fri. Although my company would give me a nice preferred garage parking space if I drove a hybrid or electric, I just can't find one that I want. (The least fuel efficient hybrids don't qualify.)...
A hybrid is much better for this application. Your diesel won't get up to operating temp in <5 mi. Doing this repeatedly will undoubtedly have an impact on its longevity (if that matters to you)
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-05-2013, 05:56 AM
windsor027's Avatar
windsor027 windsor027 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: McLean VA
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,675
Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart001 View Post
I've been driving my 2012 35i for a little over 2 years now and the 30d is my leading candidate for a replacement when my lease expires in August 2014. At that time my commute will be 4.7 miles of city-type driving each way Mon-Fri. Although my company would give me a nice preferred garage parking space if I drove a hybrid or electric, I just can't find one that I want. (The least fuel efficient hybrids don't qualify.)

I've never had a complaint about the 8 sp in my 35i. Rather, I still find myself bracing for a THUD when I do a slightly rolling stop/start from a stop sign due to being mentally scarred by the AT in my 2008 535xi. That tranny was awful in that situation, and would SLAM into first. I have not recovered from it apparently!
Neither have I from my X5 4.8i, maybe that is why I hate this 6-speed AT so much. In the diesel its not that bad at all on initial take off, maybe because of the torque, I don't know, but if you punch it the search for the gear is on and its very disturbing, sometimes bogging down at the most inopportune moment.

I have not experienced any of this with the 8-speed, I can't wait to drive the new X5 diesel with this AT.
__________________
2014 X3 35i Dynamic Handling Package| Cold Weather Package | NAV | Premium hi-fi system | Driver Assistance Package.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.

Last edited by windsor027; 10-05-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-27-2013, 06:54 PM
obmd1's Avatar
obmd1 obmd1 is offline
only one screen name
Location: location location
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 8,150
Send a message via AIM to obmd1
Mein Auto: '14 X5 35D
Build your own is up to date!!

F15 diesel here we come..
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 10-28-2013, 09:57 AM
AutoUnion's Avatar
AutoUnion AutoUnion is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,095
Mein Auto: German


If BMW has its usual eco credits and owner loyalty discounts, I'm sure I can be swayed to stay in the BMW family

They need better colors though. The color palette sucks. Where's the red, deep sea blue, dark green?

And I really hope they insulated the cabin. The E70 is louder on the highway than the equivalent Q7/ML/PC

Last edited by AutoUnion; 10-28-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 11-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Molampp Molampp is offline
Registered User
Location: NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: X5 35d 2012
2012 35d

I drive the 35d, my wife drives a 2012 X3 25i. she hates the hesitation when she needs power.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 F15 (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms