Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 11-02-2013, 11:43 AM

Mein Auto: 1990 535i 3.5L Ger A/T
Coolant Leak E34 M30

is there a hose at the rear of the head (or in this area) that is part of the heating/cooling system? I have read about this connection in my research but can't find a diagram or picture or anything that shows exactly what this is. And I can't see it from above or below (on my back on the ground, not on a lift). Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 11-02-2013, 03:17 PM
Nothin like an E34

Mein Auto: 95 540i B/B
Go to realm.com plug in your vin and it will give diagrams of what you are looking for.

Gotta love an E34!!:thumb up:
If you want to get junkyard parts remember one thing, if it was wrecked you know it was running/driving. You may not know how well, but it was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR_LVR View Post
So a synopsis of a normally operating fan clutch:

Engine stone cold - fan clutch engaged
Engine at normal operating temp - fan clutch disengaged (easily stopped with the newspaper)
Engine above normal operating temp - fan clutch engaged
STOMP TEST

OEM Approved brands
READ ME IM THE BIBLE
Old 11-02-2013, 04:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '91 535i 5-spd
Yes. There are two.

If you look underneath the intake manifold you'll see the heater core supply and return lines.

They are tucked up underneath the runners tightly.

They run the entire length of the block from the thermostat housing assembly, over the stater motor, and finally to the firewall where they hook towards the core and heater valve assembly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95-540sport
Go to realm.com plug in your vin and it will give diagrams of what you are looking for.
The diagrams of the M30 coolant system on that sight are a useless maintenance reference. Good for ordering parts, but nothing beyond that.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:37 PM

I think this is where my problem is. I got an overheat the other day and it was steaming from back in that area. Coolant just pours right through onto the ground now. Seems to be dripping from off the bell housing and firewall. When I rolled the jack under the front and lifted it up more coolant drained out onto the ground. Couldn't tell if it had been pooled in the valley under the intake or what...I see the hoses that run length wise and run to the aux coolant pump/driver's side but I don't see anything else that looks like it's passing through the firewall on the pass side in the area where the heater core would be located. I'll check the site you referenced and see if I see anything helpful. Thanks
Old 11-03-2013, 09:41 AM

Old 11-03-2013, 10:58 AM
New to S5X Tinkering

Mein Auto: 1995 e34 S52b32/5
I'm a little confused (then again I just awakened from a long night).
Like radian stated there are two hoses that run hoses back there.
Reading what your stating there could be either:

A break in the hose connect where the coolant enters the heater core (which should be below and to the right of the intake manifold on the firewall).

The Expansion tank is leaking.

The hose from the heater valve to the heater core is leaking.

The coolant hose that sends from the expansion tank to the engine (which without looking ) is the same hose that goes into the firewall.

Burn off from pouring coolant.

The spill hose from the expansion tank it's located on top of the expansion tank and drops down toward the passenger side.

Circulation hose on top of the expansion tank is leaking.

Now if your overheating. My suggestion is the obvious. Find the leak.

If nothing seems to be leaking then try to fill and bleed the system.
A unsuccessful bleed will make the car overheat rapidly.

This process is simple.

Start car, turn the heat on, remove expansion tank cap and fill.

Once the coolant begins to rise, replace cap, shut it down and unscrew (open not remove) the bleed screw on the thermostat housing.

Repeat this process until you get a clear stream of coolant (no air or bubbles)

If this doesn't resolve it. (It will take a while so don't give up) then check your thermostat as well.

From there report back and we'll go a little deeper.

Good luck.

Last edited by MySatinDoll; 11-03-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:16 AM

I am so sorry for the sloppy post. I'm trying to figure out how to notate and upload a pic with comments. In this photo I have marked where I see the coolant coming from after removing the exp tank. And I mean it just runs right out when I pour it in the expansion tank. I have checked every hose I can see, i.e. all the aux pump lines, the lines into the firewall to the heater core (which is way to the right of this location looking at the firewall). I feel I have located the lines that run under the intake, through the valley and they aren't the culprit. The valley would have to be standing in coolant for it to leak out back at this particular location, I think. I'm wondering if this is worse case scenario with a cracked head or block but even then I can't see the coolant running straight through and out this location immediately as I pour it in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131103_115603.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	405513  
Old 11-03-2013, 06:33 PM
New to S5X Tinkering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Water View Post
I am so sorry for the sloppy post. I'm trying to figure out how to notate and upload a pic with comments. In this photo I have marked where I see the coolant coming from after removing the exp tank. And I mean it just runs right out when I pour it in the expansion tank. I have checked every hose I can see, i.e. all the aux pump lines, the lines into the firewall to the heater core (which is way to the right of this location looking at the firewall). I feel I have located the lines that run under the intake, through the valley and they aren't the culprit. The valley would have to be standing in coolant for it to leak out back at this particular location, I think. I'm wondering if this is worse case scenario with a cracked head or block but even then I can't see the coolant running straight through and out this location immediately as I pour it in.
I wouldn't go as far as to say your head or the block is cracked.

Stranger than fiction the M30 power plant can take years of abuse without flinching.
So don't get worried...yet.
ie. my rocker arms went while driving and I still made it home. No coolant loss outside the engine just down one of the cylinders and out the overflow hose.

What I have observed in your latest pic is the black burn mark on the bell.
That usually indicates multiple instances of spillage.
These spills could possibly be from the overflow hose.

With except of the expansion tank, that hose is the only thing in the general vicinity that pushes coolant.

If you look at your expansion tank you have two hoses that are on top.
One that snakes around the driver side (or left) is your circulation hose from the radiator.
The other routed toward the passenger side (right) is the overflow hose.
The overflow hose is designed to release coolant when there is a rise in coolant levels.
This occurs mostly during overheating, above normal engine temp, or having air in the coolant system.

If indeed it is the overflow hose check for pin holes or how it is situated.
It would explain the black mark on the bell housing.
Once you fix this bleed, bleed, bleed, and then bleed some more till all air is gone from the system.

If the hose is not the culprit. I'd then start looking for wet areas around the mating surface at the rear of the block and/or head.

For if you are indeed leaking from the gasket then you'll have to replace it.
However I doubt that's the issue.
Especially if the car hasn't really changed in performance and its just overheating.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:21 AM

Re: Coolant Leak E34 M30

Update: mechanic said it was a plate on the back of the block. I got this second hand so it may have been the plate on the backside of the head? I'm not aware of a plate on the block? But I'm going to pick it up now. He said wasn't leaking coolant anymore. So the guy that tried to sell me head gasket job was wrong. Thanks for the help.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-15-2013, 04:43 AM

There's two cover plates on the back of the cylinder head. One for the camshaft (install and oil block off) and the other is a cover plate for the water jacket.

Yours would be the first instance I've ever heard of it springing a leak.

..OTOH, now you've got me thinking about sneaking a mirror back there and checking on mine.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:59 AM
New to S5X Tinkering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radian View Post
There's two cover plates on the back of the cylinder head. One for the camshaft (install and oil block off) and the other is a cover plate for the water jacket.

Yours would be the first instance I've ever heard of it springing a leak.

..OTOH, now you've got me thinking about sneaking a mirror back there and checking on mine.
Yeah that has me thinking about mine as well.

That's a weird location for a coolant leak to arise.
For I would think it's a easy turn of a few bolts.

Call me suspect. I trust very very few techs with my car.
For a savvy mechanic can make some coin off this.

I hope the mechanic resolves the issue and you get your car back on the road without being taken for a ride. (excuse the pun)

Good luck
Old 11-15-2013, 11:44 AM

I picked it up this morning. Running like a top. I'm taking it back next month so he can troubleshoot the klunking noise it makes every now and then in the rear. It was the "Import Expert" in town at another location that told me I needed a head gasket job. This guy said he seriously doubted that, unless I had just abused the hell out of it and ran it bone dry into the red. (which is basically what Satin Doll was saying) It was a pain in the ass to fix he said but he did it without having to pull the head off. I had my mirror and a flashlight and had looked at that very spot but I'll be damned if I could see it. Ya got like 3 in. of clearance to work there. But he did it.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:49 AM

I only recall because I nearly forgot to button mine down (cover plates) before installing my replacement head.

And I also remember thinking to myself, "God forbid I ever have to get back there again" once the head was in place.

Working right up along side the firewall was a biotch. Rearmost pair of head bolts had to be in-place prior setting the head down, getting the the torque wrench along with the angle meter on them was impossible (I ended up using degree cards), and the only inspection tool that would fit back there was my dental mirror.

Good on your mechanic ...it definitely is not fun to work back there.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:07 PM

I wonder how many people have paid for a head gasket job ("You got a leak back here at cylinder 6") when all that was needed was a repair on this plate and the mechanic just didn't want to deal with it...

p.s. Sorry forgot to point out that the difference was between "you need a head gasket and it'll run you around $1400.00" and "Sorry it took me so long but it's fixed. That'll be $140.00 including the tow bill."

Last edited by Black Water; 11-15-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:02 PM

Not many I would gather.

Blown head gaskets typically don't allow coolant to port directly out of the engine in such copious amounts.

On the M30, it's usually the number 6,1, or 2 cyl that goes, and the leak usually remains constrained to the cylinder, coolant, lube, and exhaust systems.

Proceeding into a head gasket repair without a smoking gun (leak down check or some other dead give away) wouldn't be very prudent of either the owner, or mechanic.