Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 09-11-2013, 08:41 PM

Mein Auto: 740il
Transmission mode

Can anyone explain what's going on?? Lately, everytime I start my 01 740il the transmission is in the manual mode. I push the mode selector slide buttom to "A" (automatic) but for some reason unbeknown to me I'm having this problem. Is it something that I did because I never had this problem. sometime I have to pull over into a parking lot and play with cutting to car off, shifting into park, and then after a while the "M" light on the dash go off and I'm back into automatic mode. If anyone have experience this, please share with me. it's starting to drive me nuts
Ads by Google
Old 09-12-2013, 09:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1995 325i Convertible
I have had this similar when I "kick it" at times it will act as though it transitioned to manual until I back off and level out for about 100-150 yards and I will feel it re-upshift. A friend said my solenoids may be failing, but I get no codes using my Peake Scan tool.
I am not due for Fluid and filter change for about another 25K, but thinking about doing it anyway. My indie I use when I am to busy (spelled lazy) to DIY says it may be an adjustment needed to the kickdown tie-in to trans mode(??). Hoefully someone can shed some light on this for both of us.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:00 PM

Mein Auto: '96 740iL
Might as well check the switch itself. Swap it with the sunroof switch. They are the same set up. Both are 6 pin connectors. The program switch uses Pin 4 (A), Pin 5 (M/S), and Pin 6 (ground). Pin 3 is used for lighting from the LCM. I always like to eliminate the easy stuff first. Might also try a battery nap. Disconnect the battery cables for 30 minutes or so. I also touch the cables together before I put them back on.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 bmw 740i
im new to bimmerfest,and think this forum has been a great help with tech info in the past with my e34,took me a while to join,but am finally on and in desperate need of help,my 1997 e38 740i went in to limp mode (trans fail safe)a few days back and had a friend of mine run his diagnostics on the car and the out come was that the gear position switch was dead,so after replacing the switch we had her back on the diagnostics and the car still in limp mode,oh-another thing is that she now refuses to crank?please please please help!any info will be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-13-2013, 01:59 PM

Welcome. Low battery voltage will cause both.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:02 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadzy View Post
Can anyone explain what's going on?? Lately, everytime I start my 01 740il the transmission is in the manual mode. I push the mode selector slide buttom to "A" (automatic) but for some reason unbeknown to me I'm having this problem. Is it something that I did because I never had this problem. sometime I have to pull over into a parking lot and play with cutting to car off, shifting into park, and then after a while the "M" light on the dash go off and I'm back into automatic mode. If anyone have experience this, please share with me. it's starting to drive me nuts
Have you spilt a drink anytime recently? If so, cleaning the surface area around the gear shift isn't enough. Fluid will seek the lowest level...and some of that is inside the tranny switch.

If a drink (other than H2O) has been spilt...the residue that was missed that flowed inside the switch becomes sticky and can cause the symptoms you describe.

If you or no one else that drives your vehicle has NOT spilt a drink...then "never mind".
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg
Old 09-14-2013, 09:33 AM

Thank you mayor chuck,I've honestly been pulling out the last bit of hair I've got,but I've checked the battery an now seen that it is a little low on the juice,I'm gonna trickle charge over night and see what happens,wish me luck.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskyboy View Post
Thank you mayor chuck,I've honestly been pulling out the last bit of hair I've got,but I've checked the battery an now seen that it is a little low on the juice,I'm gonna trickle charge over night and see what happens,wish me luck.
If it still won't crank after the charge, I would still recommend taking it to an auto parts store to have them test it. Their tester will put a load on it to determine it's true condition.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:55 AM

Good morning from sunny south Africa!@mayor chuck,good sir i charged the battery over night and I'm experiencing the same issue with my car,and the little red battery light is on by the cluster,heart break!!!any ideas?
Old 09-15-2013, 07:58 AM

The red battery light indicates the car is not longer charging the battery. This is typically the alternator and if it has been going bad for awhile, your battery is probably drained to the point it will need more than an overnight charge and could very well be bad. You may very well have another issue but I would highly recommend you address the battery/alternator issue before throwing any more parts at it. Is there a place local you can take both to have them tested? Most auto parts stores here are set up to do so.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:09 AM

Driving me insane

Fellow e38 owners,I'm in desperate need of any ideas that can point me in the direction of what's causing my problem,my 97 e38 m62 keeps giving me an L2 error code on the tranny control (egs) I've cleared the code just to have it return.and I've checked voltage and charging,all is good in that department and all fuses good.