Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 11-01-2013, 09:51 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 328i
Adaptive lighting control

What's this? It is listed in my option list but I have no idea what it is. I thought it is automatically changing the direction of headlight when turning in a corner. But it seems not. Any idea?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Advertisement
Old 11-02-2013, 05:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
option 524 Adaptve lighting control moves the xenon headlights left-right and up-down based on steering input and pitch. It is part of the Lighting Pkg for the 28i and std on the 35i on 2014 X3

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine
Old 11-02-2013, 05:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by duyushui1 View Post
What's this? It is listed in my option list but I have no idea what it is. I thought it is automatically changing the direction of headlight when turning in a corner. But it seems not. Any idea?

Are the headlights in auto mode? One notch to the left on the rotary switch.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:24 PM

Mein Auto: X3 2.8i (2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverman View Post
option 524 Adaptve lighting control moves the xenon headlights left-right and up-down based on steering input and pitch. It is part of the Lighting Pkg for the 28i and std on the 35i on 2014 X3
Get it. It's great!

Old 11-02-2013, 04:36 PM

Mein Auto: x3 35i

I just noticed that when you manually turn on the headlights the adaptive lights don't work. It only points straight. Anyone know why that is?

Old 11-02-2013, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i-M Space Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyver626 View Post
I just noticed that when you manually turn on the headlights the adaptive lights don't work. It only points straight. Anyone know why that is?

No, because that is not how it works. If you have adaptive lights option, they are adaptive all the time, not conditionally. The deflection is a function of speed however, so if you aren't moving, you wont notice any deflection.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
I believe the adaptive function is only available in the auto headlight mode and the auto leveling works in auto or manual mode.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i-M Space Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I believe the adaptive function is only available in the auto headlight mode and the auto leveling works in auto or manual mode.
Yup I stand corrected. Manual says adaptive (L-R) headlight mode is only in auto mode. I didn't know any better because my lights have been in auto mode since the day I drove off the lot!
Old 11-03-2013, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyver626 View Post

It is not very noticeable under most driving conditions. The amount it redirects the beam in the direction of travel appears to be a function of both speed and the amount of steering wheel input. For most driving the curves are just too shallow to notice anything.

On a long dark straight road (with no adjacent traffic, of course), suddenly jerk the wheel one way or another (just a little bit so you don't swerve out of your lane) and you will briefly see the headlight swing in the direction the wheel was turned but immediately pop back to center.

A few weeks ago I was waiting for my wife and the car was pointed a nearby wall. When I turned the wheel to the right, even though I was stationary, I could see the headlights turn to the right too.