Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > General Automotive Forum

General Automotive Forum
All non-BMW car talk goes here...

Old 08-23-2013, 06:51 PM
Rolling Coal in the SAV

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35D, '07 550i
Always time to get another BMW.

That being said, I looked into Camrys back in 09 when trying to find a cheap lease econo DD car and wasn't a fan. Felt dull. Ended up getting torn down the middle on a 4 cylinder Accord LX and a Nissan Altima 2.5. Ended up with the Altima. Accord and Altima are still my top choices today. I am absolutely in love with the new Accord. I'v been tempted to dump my 550i for a V6 Touring. Probably the most direct family sedan I have ever driven. Nothing wrong with economy cars. Gotta do what you gotta do!
Old 08-23-2013, 07:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeX5 View Post
Always time to get another BMW.

That being said, I looked into Camrys back in 09 when trying to find a cheap lease econo DD car and wasn't a fan. Felt dull. Ended up getting torn down the middle on a 4 cylinder Accord LX and a Nissan Altima 2.5. Ended up with the Altima. Accord and Altima are still my top choices today. I am absolutely in love with the new Accord. I'v been tempted to dump my 550i for a V6 Touring. Probably the most direct family sedan I have ever driven. Nothing wrong with economy cars. Gotta do what you gotta do!
Nowadays, I think Mazda offers the best choices in that class of car. VW is good too but everyone I know says they have too many problems.

2014 328i / Liquid Blue / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 6 MT / Moonroof / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 12K+ Miles / Bought 10-16-2013
2003 325i / Gray Green / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 5 MT / Moonroof / 219K+ Miles / Bought 12-21-2002 / Sold 10-21-2013
1998 Civic EX / Vogue Silver / Gray / 4 DR / 5 MT / 122K+ Miles / Bought 12-30-1997 / Totaled 08-2002
1988 Sentra / Gray / Gray / 2 DR / 4 MT / 190K+ Miles / Bought 06-1994 @ 120K+ Miles / Died 12-1997

Last edited by mr_clueless; 08-23-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto: German
Re: Don't shoot me... I bought a Camry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
Nowadays, I think Mazda offers the best choices in that class of car.
New Mazda 6 will be sold with a diesel very soon. Going to be awesome.

- Sent from Galaxy S4
Old 08-24-2013, 05:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i (E39) 120k
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
New Mazda 6 will be sold with a diesel very soon. Going to be awesome.

- Sent from Galaxy S4
What's so good about diesel?
Old 08-24-2013, 10:49 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by EconoBox View Post
What's so good about diesel?
petrol is terrible.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:15 PM
Need a Toyota?

Mein Auto: MBZ E500
Well, after a month of consideration... I decided to go in a completely different direction. Traded in my Camry, and picked up a pristine '04 Jeep Wrangler. Only 54K miles, looks and drives like new.

Crappy MPG, crappy handling, no real power to speak of.

I'm much happier now.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwheeling View Post
Well, after a month of consideration... I decided to go in a completely different direction. Traded in my Camry, and picked up a pristine '04 Jeep Wrangler. Only 54K miles, looks and drives like new.

I'm much happier now.

Just kidding. Enjoy the new ride. You can go places you'd probably not take the bimmer.

2014 328i / Liquid Blue / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 6 MT / Moonroof / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 12K+ Miles / Bought 10-16-2013
2003 325i / Gray Green / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 5 MT / Moonroof / 219K+ Miles / Bought 12-21-2002 / Sold 10-21-2013
1998 Civic EX / Vogue Silver / Gray / 4 DR / 5 MT / 122K+ Miles / Bought 12-30-1997 / Totaled 08-2002
1988 Sentra / Gray / Gray / 2 DR / 4 MT / 190K+ Miles / Bought 06-1994 @ 120K+ Miles / Died 12-1997
Old 08-26-2013, 10:28 PM
Need a Toyota?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post

Just kidding. Enjoy the new ride. You can go places you'd probably not take the bimmer.
My two favorite vehicles to own have been Bimmers and Jeeps. Since I live in the mountains with lots of dirt roads, inclement weather, and occasional snow, I decided to buy a vehicle I could keep forever. I'll probably be looking for a new DD in a couple of years.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:34 PM

CJ,
Any updated reflections, widsom, or thoughts on that used car lot business of yours that you closed down?
Old 09-02-2013, 01:18 AM
Need a Toyota?

funny, just had a discussion about it with some friends tonight. I said yes, I'd do it again in a heartbeat if the opportunity came up; my wife said hell no. LOL

I'm older, wiser and have more experience now; I have no doubt I would be successful at it with the knowledge I have obtained over the past 7 years. Unfortunately, the opportunity and the capital go hand in hand, so not for a while.

I took a chance and did something I loved for almost 5 years. I definitely have many regrets about bad decision making on certain aspects of the business, but overall... hard to really say. If I had the choice now to go back in time and not do it, but lose my experience and knowledge, I'm not sure what my decision would be. If that same time machine offered me the opportunity to go the same way with that knowledge and experience, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:09 AM
Used and Abused

Mein Auto: 6.0 GMC Slow Mobile
Re: Don't shoot me... I bought a Camry!

I emailed you. I could use some help on a deal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using BimmerApp mobile app

2009 G8 GXP (SOLD)

2005 G35 (SOLD)

2003 540I SPORT --- BLEW UP! Redlining is a lot worse then I thought.

2003 GMC Sierra Denali (SOLD BUT STILL USE IT)

ON THE HUNT FOR A...G8 GT MAYBE?

Old 09-03-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
funny, just had a discussion about it with some friends tonight. I said yes, I'd do it again in a heartbeat if the opportunity came up; my wife said hell no. LOL

I'm older, wiser and have more experience now; I have no doubt I would be successful at it with the knowledge I have obtained over the past 7 years. Unfortunately, the opportunity and the capital go hand in hand, so not for a while.

I took a chance and did something I loved for almost 5 years. I definitely have many regrets about bad decision making on certain aspects of the business, but overall... hard to really say. If I had the choice now to go back in time and not do it, but lose my experience and knowledge, I'm not sure what my decision would be. If that same time machine offered me the opportunity to go the same way with that knowledge and experience, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Can you outline some of the lessons learned and what you'd do differently if you were capitalized today, and launched the same business again today?
Old 09-05-2013, 11:02 PM
Need a Toyota?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinZul View Post
I emailed you. I could use some help on a deal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using BimmerApp mobile app
I didn't get an email from you. You can also email mrosenblum@penskeautomotive.com and that should work.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:27 PM
Need a Toyota?

Quote:
Can you outline some of the lessons learned and what you'd do differently if you were capitalized today, and launched the same business again today?
1. Don't go into business with close friend!
2. Pay a professional to do the books/ taxes. Do not trust partner to get it done.
3. Secure better customer financing. I had 2 sources for customer financing that both went away after 2008/2009 timeframe. I became a buy here/ pay here dealership and didn't have the capital to do it. I then became a cash dealership.
4. Sell more backend product: warranties, alarms, etc. Usefull items that are also profitable. I shied away from them early on; I should have pushed them more.
5. Detail completely every vehicle, and paint bumpers if they even they look decent. I spent too much time making the cars run great and reliable; customers care more about appearance than reliability regardless of the BS they tell you.
6. I have more connections now in the retail franchise auto business than most; I would use them to find partner dealerships that I could swap aged inventory with.
7. Find someone I trust to be able to sell cars/ take care of the store so I can feel comfortable while I am at auctions and can also take some time off!!!
8. Most important: Know more about what I was getting into and how to spend the budget wisely instead of learning expensive lessons along the way. The wealth of knowledge I've obtained over the past few years as sales manager and finance manager for large franchise organizations has totally changed my perspective and probably trippled the knowledge base/ experience I had.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:45 AM

1) How did the car dealer business have problems b/c you were partners with a friend?
4) Yea, but people appreciate not being oversold. If the core business can't support you without scammy extras, maybe it's just not a viable business.
5) Good one. Mechanical upgrades will never make their investment back. These are the best cars to buy, and the worst to sell.
6) Do most private used car dealers rotate inventory with other local dealers? How do they transport these cars? Just drive over, and drive one of theirs back?
Is this why there are "dealer plates?"
Old 10-09-2013, 07:23 PM
Living in Fast Forward

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
Don't shoot me... I bought a Camry!

Quote:
1. Don't go into business with close friend!
2. Pay a professional to do the books/ taxes. Do not trust partner to get it done.
3. Secure better customer financing. I had 2 sources for customer financing that both went away after 2008/2009 timeframe. I became a buy here/ pay here dealership and didn't have the capital to do it. I then became a cash dealership.
4. Sell more backend product: warranties, alarms, etc. Usefull items that are also profitable. I shied away from them early on; I should have pushed them more.
5. Detail completely every vehicle, and paint bumpers if they even they look decent. I spent too much time making the cars run great and reliable; customers care more about appearance than reliability regardless of the BS they tell you.
6. I have more connections now in the retail franchise auto business than most; I would use them to find partner dealerships that I could swap aged inventory with.
7. Find someone I trust to be able to sell cars/ take care of the store so I can feel comfortable while I am at auctions and can also take some time off!!!
8. Most important: Know more about what I was getting into and how to spend the budget wisely instead of learning expensive lessons along the way. The wealth of knowledge I've obtained over the past few years as sales manager and finance manager for large franchise organizations has totally changed my perspective and probably trippled the knowledge base/ experience I had.
Wise word. OP, you are one humble and down to Earth person.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-11-2013, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe, 323i
Quote:

I'm much happier now.
How are you feeling about the Jeep Wrangler after a few months of ownership?

2012, 650i Coupe, Carbon Black, Black Nappa leather, M Sport , CWP,DAP, IAS, 20" Wheels,
BMWCCA Member since 07/2008
Old 10-14-2013, 08:14 PM
Need a Toyota?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias View Post
How are you feeling about the Jeep Wrangler after a few months of ownership?
All in all, I'm quite happy with my decision. I really miss the MPG, but we just went on a weekend 4 wheeling trip with the kids last weekend; lots of fun!

I'll probably pick up another DD in the next 6 months; 14MPG is killing me, I think it would be cheaper for me to buy a sh1tbox to drive to work on days I don't feel like driving the Jeep.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:18 PM
Need a Toyota?

Quote:
1) How did the car dealer business have problems b/c you were partners with a friend?
4) Yea, but people appreciate not being oversold. If the core business can't support you without scammy extras, maybe it's just not a viable business.
5) Good one. Mechanical upgrades will never make their investment back. These are the best cars to buy, and the worst to sell.
6) Do most private used car dealers rotate inventory with other local dealers? How do they transport these cars? Just drive over, and drive one of theirs back?
Is this why there are "dealer plates?"
The "scammy extras" are what keep most dealers open. I'm not talking about rustproofing or bs like that. I'm talking about warranties for reasonable prices, alarms, LoJack, etc. Items that many customers buy on their own anyway; why shouldn't I be the one to profit from them?
Old 11-03-2013, 09:18 AM
Need a Toyota?

330 zhp vert

So now I have an opportunity to pick up a 330 ZHP convertible with 80k miles, good shape with every possible option! Nav, Bluetooth, loaded. It would be a wash for the Jeep and it's in my favorite color! How rare are ZHP verts, I've never seen one. 2006 model
Old 11-03-2013, 10:31 AM
zeddy

Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Quote:
Please reserve judgement on this longtime Bimmer fan until you've read the post.

After thinking long and hard about what my next car would be I brought many factors into question.

1. I drive almost 100 miles per day round trip to work, and I work approx 25 days a month.
2. I have children that are regularly in my car.
3. I am very slowly recovering from a full financial meltdown. 6 months ago I was on food stamps and sold every toy and non-neccesary item I could to get by without.
4. I cannot afford any downtime without a vehicle, and I don't currently have any time to work on one at all.
5. My current daily driver is a '97 Lexus ES300.. I had to get rid of my 540...
6. I work at Mossy Toyota as the Internet Sales Manager

I weighed a bunch of options, as we also own a BMW store that I could get seriously hooked up with. I decided as much as I wanted another BMW, the criteria /factors above pointed to something less expensive to drive and maintain after putting on over 25K a year.

I picked up a 2012 Camry SE 4 cyl. I'm averaging close to 40MPG on regular, and the lease specials this month are insane... effectively 0%

Ya know what? I really like it.

It's no bimmer for sure, the front drive slightly sporty family sedan is no match for the bimmer in fun or handling, but it is attractive, very comfortable, decent stereo with streaming bluetooth, and the redone interior is light years ahead of the previous 6 generations. Not to mention that what in the world could be more reliable than a Camry?

All that being said, I hope the next car I can pick up will be a 5 series.
That's alright, I get it, I bought a 13 year old E class Mercedes for commuting to my teaching gig, and I love the thing, it's quiet, comfortable and a really nice drive. The bonus is my ZHP gets to relax in the garage.

2000 Mercedes Benz E320 (daily driver)
2007 Infiniti M35x (wife's)
2006 330 cic ZHP 6sp (current)
2005 Z4 3.0 sp nav x-leather (retired)
2000 323i PP (best car, ever - retired)
Old 11-03-2013, 10:33 AM
zeddy

Quote:
So now I have an opportunity to pick up a 330 ZHP convertible with 80k miles, good shape with every possible option! Nav, Bluetooth, loaded. It would be a wash for the Jeep and it's in my favorite color! How rare are ZHP verts, I've never seen one. 2006 model
Mine's an 06 ZHP vert - fantastic car. I've got 47k on mine. It's staying pristine, currently.

Look at my sig pic.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:35 AM
Need a Toyota?

This would be my DD, I think I'm going to pull the trigger. Around 13k seems like a pretty good deal for this car. New tires, serviced at BMW till 2011, 87k on the clock
Old 11-03-2013, 10:41 AM
zeddy

Quote:
This would be my DD, I think I'm going to pull the trigger. Around 13k seems like a pretty good deal for this car. New tires, serviced at BMW till 2011, 87k on the clock
Stick or auto? It can get tiresome to drive as a stick in traffic, first gear runs out rather quickly, and the clutch has a long throw (though once used to it, you won't push it down that far).

The top lets in a fair amount of highway noise, but aside form that, it's a nice daily driver. Wheels and tires are expensive though, so watch for potholes and curb rash. Seats are very comfortable.

2006 was the last year of production, so reliability should be good. Mine's been utterly reliable, not a single issue over 47k. I replaced it as my DD so I can get another 7 years plus out of it while keeping it looking good.

Last edited by EdCT; 11-03-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:24 AM
Need a Toyota?

Has to be auto on DD, I drive an hour in traffic each morning to work. I've had multiple e46 verts before. only reason I'm pulling the trigger is this is the ultimate 330 vert for me. Right color, all options and ZHP. That steering wheel is possibly my favorite ever