Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 11-03-2013, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 M5
To Brenner pass or not to Brenner Pass? That is the question...

We are driving to Bergamo the day we arrive and was wondering if the Austrian or the Swiss Route is better. There is a difference of about 10 miles. Traffic could be horrible through Milan around 6 or 7 PM. If we go the Swiss route, Austria requires the IDL which is NBD. I have done the Brenner Pass twice before but I am wondering if any of you folks have an opinion on which is the better/more scenic route?

Last edited by giacomo007; 11-03-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 11-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by giacomo007 View Post
We are driving to Bergamo the day we arrive and was wondering if the Austrian or the Swiss Route is better. There is a difference of about 10 miles. Traffic could be horrible through Milan around 6 or 7 PM. If we go the Swiss route, Austria requires the IDL which is NBD. I have done the Brenner Pass twice before but I am wondering if any of you folks have an opinion on which is the better/more scenic route?
I've driven Brenner Pass in all weather, even in February and it was clear. Don't know anbout Switzerland. Austria will charge you for 10 days of highway use, Switzerland for a whole year even if you drive 30 miles in one day - no other choices. I'd certainly pick Rosenheim->Innsbruck->Brennerpass->Verona->Bergamo.

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 11-05-2013, 06:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 M5
To Brenner pass or not to Brenner Pass? That is the question...

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up. Looks like I have to buy 2 10 day stickers for Austria.

Also, I haven't driven in Europe since 07. How bad are the speed cameras throughout Austria and Italy?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-08-2013, 04:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: MB CLK
Watch your speed on the Munich-Innsbruck section, the limits are shown on the overhead signs and very often strictly enforced, particularly in Austria.

Winter Tire Rentals Munich, Germany
Vacation Property Rentals