Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 11-02-2013, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
What was the last movie you saw, and did you like it?

Saw 'The Councillor' this afternoon at the theater.

Kind of liked it, Cameron Diaz was good I thought.

Movie left me without closure, though.

I'd give it 2.5 out of five I guess.

What have you seen lately? Did you enjoy it?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Advertisement
Old 11-02-2013, 07:01 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
I could swear, you've read my mind. Yesterday I thought of starting this exact thread idea! Thanks!

I watched Django last night. Really good movie.

Jamie Foxx was great for the part. That little pointy beard that he had changed his appearance completely and gave him that creepy scary tough guy vibe. The internet was full of debates whether Will Smith would have been better since the part was first offered to him, but after talking with Tarantino he declined. Rumors are because the role is not the "lead" role, and because he wanted to be the guy who killed what'his'name. [..spoiler].

But I think Foxx is a much better actor by far. Smith can not play "touch/scary". Smith can play "angry". Foxx is better.

The blood exaggeration of Tarantino is just too much and unrealistic. You shoot somebody in the head and a bucket full of blood is splashed out. This BS is getting old.

Don't know why they had to delay the movie because of Newton's school shooting. After seeing the movie, that doesn't make sense. Well, maybe a little, but still, doesn't make sense.

It was funny how after Tarantino made his short appearance in the movie, they stopped using the word 'n*ger" and started using "black".

I'll give it 9 out of 10. Good movie overall.

Christoph Waltz was fantastic. Maybe that's why Smith declined. Chicken. He knew he can't hold a candle to Waltz.

Last edited by MatWiz; 11-02-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:09 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
I watched Django last night. Really good movie.
+1 I saw this recently, and actually recommended it to a friend today. I'm not a Tarantino fan so some of the blood scenes were over the top, but as a whole it worked great. The n-word got a lot of press when the movie came out but didn't seem out of place giving the setting and that its not meant to be a feel good romp.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 11-02-2013, 07:35 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
I've been doing the TV show thing lately, the last movie rental was World War Z, I liked it fine, but it didn't live up to the hype. My friend recently listened to the books on tape, and he says they are incredible. I also didn't know that the story was created by Mel Brooks' son, from comedy to apocalyptic, and I do think he had some interesting moments of creativity, like with the "10th man" concept. (I don't consider this a spoiler in any way, just don't look it up I guess if you haven't seen it.)

I totally could not do the Great Gatsby, just the style of it and the music, I couldn't get through even a little bit, back in the sleeve it went, directly to the mailbox. I mean, I usually try, a different awful (IMO) movie was Seven Psycopaths, I honestly didn't know if I would finish it, it took no less than four attempts to finally finish it, I think it's awful.

I enjoyed Oblivion. Shadow Dancer was just okay. (I didn't know Aidan Gillan was Irish, you know the mayor from The Wire.) The Sapphires was fun in its own way.

Oblivion was probably my favorite of these recent rentals. I hope some fun films should be shortly on their way, you see I don't go to the theater. I hope Man Of Steel, The Wolverine, and The Hunt might be good (Danish title that my friend thinks I will like.)
Old 11-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
+1 I saw this recently, and actually recommended it to a friend today. I'm not a Tarantino fan so some of the blood scenes were over the top, but as a whole it worked great. The n-word got a lot of press when the movie came out but didn't seem out of place giving the setting and that its not meant to be a feel good romp.
The n-word surprised me the first and second time they used it. But you quickly realize it's just how they talked at that time, and it means nothing after the first few times they use it. That's why it was "funny" that Tarantino said "black" and from that point on everybody in the movie said black. It surprised me the same way the n-word surprised me the first few times

The "over the top" blood scenes were not even gross. It was more of an extravaganza. To make something larger than it should be for the theatrical display. It was not even close to realistic. It was just for show and colors and visual effects. For me it actually detracted from the realistic experience of the movie. It was like a constant reminder when I was immersed in the movie "OK, this is Tarantino".

Last edited by MatWiz; 11-02-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:56 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
I've been doing the TV show thing lately, the last movie rental was World War Z, I liked it fine, but it didn't live up to the hype. My friend recently listened to the books on tape, and he says they are incredible. I also didn't know that the story was created by Mel Brooks' son, from comedy to apocalyptic, and I do think he had some interesting moments of creativity, like with the "10th man" concept. (I don't consider this a spoiler in any way, just don't look it up I guess if you haven't seen it.)

I totally could not do the Great Gatsby, just the style of it and the music, I couldn't get through even a little bit, back in the sleeve it went, directly to the mailbox. I mean, I usually try, a different awful (IMO) movie was Seven Psycopaths, I honestly didn't know if I would finish it, it took no less than four attempts to finally finish it, I think it's awful.

I enjoyed Oblivion. Shadow Dancer was just okay. (I didn't know Aidan Gillan was Irish, you know the mayor from The Wire.) The Sapphires was fun in its own way.

Oblivion was probably my favorite of these recent rentals. I hope some fun films should be shortly on their way, you see I don't go to the theater. I hope Man Of Steel, The Wolverine, and The Hunt might be good (Danish title that my friend thinks I will like.)
I wouldn't watch WWZ just based on the trailers. I'm bored with zombies by now and that movie looked like another cliche. I like Pitt, he's a good actor, but not this movie.

Great Gatsby, I saw the trailers and was a turn off for the same reasons you described.

Oblivion was good. I like Tom Cruise, he's a good actor. Whatever he does in his private life is non of my business so I have no [public] opinion on that.

I didn't see the others. Some I didn't even hear about.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 328xi
21 and Over on Netflix. It had its moments where I chuckled.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3
Gravity...was ok.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:45 PM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto:
Here's a same thread with more to give http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=580567 on a long list of films and reviews

Been watching documentaries lately. Living with Wolves entirely changed my misconception on wolves. It's a must see if you like that sort of stuff. They're the most family oriented loving wild animals out there
Old 11-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj745 View Post
Here's a same thread with more to give http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=580567 on a long list of films and reviews

Been watching documentaries lately. Living with Wolves entirely changed my misconception on wolves. It's a must see if you like that sort of stuff. They're the most family oriented loving wild animals out there
Then you will love this one, "A Man Among Wolves". It is on Youtube. Amazing watch. This guy does not watch the wolves, but becomes one of the pack. Here's the link, just copy and paste and remove the space http://www.youtube .com/watch?v=j4vFBXOoHs0
Old 11-03-2013, 01:30 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Documentary

We steal secrets:the story of wikileaks

Pretty interesting and well done. rented it pm itunes for a plane flight.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:18 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Roadster, K1300S

At the theater?

Rush. Yes, very much.

"Beemer" is for my BMW motorcycles - '13 K1300S, '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S (gone, but not forgotten).
Old 11-03-2013, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: '12 328xi, '11 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
Then you will love this one, "A Man Among Wolves". It is on Youtube. Amazing watch. This guy does not watch the wolves, but becomes one of the pack. Here's the link, just copy and paste and remove the space http://www.youtube .com/watch?v=j4vFBXOoHs0
If you haven't seen it.
http://www.amazon.com/Alone-Wilderne...ans+wilderness
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Proenneke
Well worth watching, Mr. Proenneke was truly a gifted carpenter.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:23 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Saw Ender's Game. I liked it, but I could see people being a bit lost at times if you didn't read the book. It occasionally skipped past some important plot stuff. It tried to stay faithful to the book, but that would have needed a season of TV, and there's no way that would happen with all the hate toward anything related to the author.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 11-03-2013, 09:05 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
I just added every recommended title thus far to my queue (or save list). I'm not sure that I'll get to them all, we'll see, it will be a while regardless. I have a hard time with DVD resolution, but I still will watch one on the rare occasion. (A Man Among Wolves, Living With Wolves, We Steal Secrets.)

Thanks.

Last edited by Ilovemycar; 11-03-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:01 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Just watched Pacific Rim and liked it, it was better than i expected, action packed and entertaining. spoiler- Humans getting their asses kicked
Old 11-04-2013, 03:52 PM
Overly Intellectual

Mein Auto: 2002 M5, 1999 M Roadster
Ender's Game. It was ok.

Grammar: The difference between "knowing your sh*t" and "knowing you're sh*t."
Old 11-04-2013, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

We started watching 'Foyle's War' free on Amazon Prime, the BBC detective series set in WWII southern England.

Having lived in Portsmouth for five years, I find it very enjoyable to watch.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:48 PM
Living a dream!

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Bad Grandpa 4/5 stars
Old 11-07-2013, 07:09 AM
Launch Control Ready

Mein Auto: 11 997.2 S & 14 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerMikeTX View Post
At the theater?

Rush. Yes, very much.

+1 Very well done. If you are on this board, odds are you will enjoy this film. The German actor that played Lauda was excellent.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:47 PM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mein Auto: VW Wabbit
Does it have to be at the Theater?

I stumbled over "Argo" on demand the other day and watched that. I liked it. It seems they added quite a bit of drama "timing" to some of the scenes, but hey it's a movie.

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.”
“They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”

Extra credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3" not "I'm looking for a M3".
Old 11-07-2013, 01:07 PM
Registered Bad Ass

Mein Auto: 05 BMW 325i
Last movie i watched was Ender's Game. It was good but i need to stop watching movies that are based on book before i read the book. Or at least look into the book before i watch the movie. This is like the 5th time that a movie has ended and i was like "what the **** kind of ending was that" only to find out that their are more books in the series.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:10 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Re: What was the last movie you saw, and did you like it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconutpete View Post

I stumbled over "Argo" on demand the other day and watched that. I liked it. It seems they added quite a bit of drama "timing" to some of the scenes, but hey it's a movie.
I enjoyed Argo quite a bit. Things have to be a little dramatized or we wouldn't want to watch it.

My last movie was The Little Mermaid with my daughters.

C:\>Sent from my 386 using MS-DOS__
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 11-07-2013, 05:06 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
Not at all. I haven't gone to a theater in years, and I don't want to.

Anyway,

I watched 2 movies.
Pitch Perfect (2012) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1981677/
and Hotel Transylvania (2012), a Dracula movie, animation. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0837562/.

Pitch Perfect got 7.2 on IMDB. I give it 2/10. Stupid movie, lame jokes, boring, suppose to be a comedy but it didn't even made me smile. Acting sucks. Only twice, the black actress (don't know her name) cracked me up but that was more of her (good) acting at delivering a joke then the joke itself. So I give it 2 points for laughing twice. ... and now they are making Pitch Perfect 2.

Hotel Transylvania, 7/10. Really entertaining and enjoyable movie. Fun to watch. Fun story line. Adam Sandler, which I don't like at all as an actor, was the voice of Dracula and did a fantastic job! Who knew. Bottom line, recommended. Especially for watching with kids.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
No.

I rewatched 'Last of the Mohicans' on Prime. I love that movie. Always felt the soundtrack was off somewhat, almost like it was mixed poorly or something. But a good story of the American Frontier in 1757.

- J.C. Watts Jr.